Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DPS/DFT - Watch Washington D.C. Public Schools to see what happens here.

Here's my guess on where DPS is heading.

If you want to see where DPS is heading, watch every move of Chancellor Rhee and the Washington D.C. teachers union [[WTU).

Put these news articles together and you can see the picture:
    1. Keith Jonson and Robert Bobb go to Washington to meet with AFT President Weingarten [[who is heavily involved in D.C. negotiations) Link
    2. Obama and Secretary of Ed. Arne Duncan are huge supporters of Bill Gates and Eli Broad's thoughts on Education Link
    3. Eli Broad [[graduate of DPS BTW) helps bring Robert Bobb to Detroit Link
    4. DFT takes vote after convincing of Keith Johnson to support some type of charter schools
    5. The AFT makes a MAJOR announcement about partnering with "the enemy" on May 4. Link
    6. Washington D.C. contracts have been stalled for 15 months. To help out...African- American ex-mayor Link
    7. Rhee tones it down at bequest of Arne Duncan knowing they need the union member buy-in whether she likes it or not Link
    8. U.S. Education Secretary to speak in Detroit..[[May 4)...the carrot being...
    He [[Duncan) announced in April that $44 billion is available for states and schools to apply for under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. States that plan the most aggressive education reforms can apply for competitive grants from the $5 billion "Race to the Top" fund" Link

One more interesting note is Robbert Bob hiring "Chief Academic Auditor" [[like to make sure if we get some of that 44 billion as quoted above that we are continuing to be innovative after Robert Bobb leaves 8 months from now) Link

At this point it seems uncertain as to what the final contract will look like other than to say, whatever happens in D.C. will be what we get here in Detroit. I think Arne Duncan would like to solve both Detroit and Washington D.C. school problems NOW. Oh.. and by the way....where was Robert Bobb school board president? Washington, D.C.

It should be an interesting summer. Considering yesterdays announcement by the AFT, I think they are looking at getting Keith on board. I'm sure you'll hear that the Washington D.C. teachers have settled [[or will settle) their contract very soon. Just a guess.

JH

I hope we have a contract in place prior to the start of school! I DO NOT want to go on strike. I am happy to just have a job in this economy. I'd be willing to keep my pay the same [[can't remember the last time we actually had a raise), pay a bit more for my co-pay for Rx, and stick a bit more into the insurance premium I pay...
    It seems like Bobb and Johnson are going to stick to their guns and do what is right for the kids [[school starting on time). It's about time we have people in place who are doing what is right for the kids [[instead of bilking the system and blaming it all on the teachers).