Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Downtown landmark to fall?

According to a posting on Facebook from www.BuildingsofDetroit.com, "horrible news about the fate of an another downtown landmark" is about to be announced.
    Any ideas?

Marc

g.a.r. Is my guess

If the Ilitch or carleton boys can't make that work, it is lost,... unless there's someone with a massive pocketbook who wants to save a cool building with no viable future.

G.A.R. is the most likely candidate. However, that building could be saved. It's more a matter of someone having the will to do it and the DEGC not being in the way.

G.A.R? That's one of the coolest building downtown IMO. Illitch can afford to move it if it's in the way. What a frickin waste!

If they would offer the GAR building for sale instead of trying to solicit development proposals, someone might buy it. Obviously it has issues and probably isn't cost-effective for anything on a strict dollars-and-sense basis, but it is an amazing building that would provide the right buyer a lot of visibility, and it isn't badly located. Convenient to the People Mover!

I'd consider it as a residence.

Does anyone know about its interior condition?

LodgeDodger Guest

IMHO, I don't think it's the GAR.

Whatever it is, it's getting in the way of all the NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!

Destroy Everything George Cries

Stosh Guest

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Why drag it out?

My bet is the Wurlitzer Bldg. -- previous posts indicated that the flooded basement and the freeze/thaw cycles had undermined the basement walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Why drag it out?

And who exactly is behind this ploy and what might be their reasons?

It is not the GAR or the Wurlitzer......My guess is the Old Hotel Eddystone, because Illitch just bought it for 2 million dollars a couple days ago and he will move his new pistons to the Cass Corridor, or should I say Cultural Corridor.

Well, if it's not the Wurlitzer this time, it can't be far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    It is not the GAR or the Wurlitzer......My guess is the Old Hotel Eddystone, because Illitch just bought it for 2 million dollars a couple days ago and he will move his new pistons to the Cass Corridor, or should I say Cultural Corridor.
    I really have no problem seeing the Eddystone meet the wrecking ball. In my opinion this building [[and the old Salvation Army shelter next to it) has no chance of ever being redeveloped, and although it was probably a real beauty back in the day, it is not architecturally significant, basically a large box with some ornate trim. Today, it is definitely an eyesore.

Also, I REALLY hope the Wurlitzer survives and is redeveloped. That building is very cool and would make a great residential building. It is in a prime location and you just cant recreate the Wurlitzer or its neat history.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    He payed 2 million for that crap? din't the Ritz go for like 6 million?

United Artists?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    United Artists?
    Not even close....

DetroitDad Guest

There are over forty vacant buildings in the Central Business District, and thousands [[?) in the greater Downtown area....

Blarf Guest

Maybe they are going to tear down that monstrosity that is Comerica Park, and those STUPID tiger and baseball and bat statues.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    United Artists?
    They have spent far too much stabilizing that building to sen in the wrecking ball

DC48080 Guest

I have a pretty good idea of which building they're referring to but I am not going to reveal it in order to not tip off the scrappers, vandals, and other assorted tresspassers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Maybe they are going to tear down that monstrosity that is Comerica Park, and those STUPID tiger and baseball and bat statues.
    Right on!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    It really is an overdone, gaudy stadium. Too much bling on that thing.

I like Comerica Park. Odd man out. Except for the shitty scoreboard. It was built just a few years too early to take advantage of the awesome screens they build them with now. Update that and it's perfect.

If you want to move the GAR, surely that would be easier than the move of the GEM ever was? I think the footprint is smaller and the overall weight is also a lot less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast