Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Trade Bobb for Rhee?

Since Fenty lost the DC election the new mayor is kicking Rhee to the curb. The WaPo article mentions Bobb as a possible replacement [[last paragraph). No word on Rhee's next stop.

I say we do whatever we can to get her here. Pay her $1 million/yr, with Karmanos and the boys pitching in. If they did it for Kwame, they surely can do it for someone with the bona fides of Michelle Rhee.

Of course the grape-throwers will pitch a fit but to hell with them, our kids are wasting away.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010101205661

That would be spectacular, I can only imagine how much progress could be made with a figure like that in place.

She'd get nothing done. DC is very different than Detroit, and there's no Adrian Fenty here, either.

I kinda doubt it. She getting ready to marry ex- NBA baller and current Sacremento Ca mayor Kevin Johnson. A long distance marriage this early in the relationship might not work out so well.

if and when Bobb leaves...I wouldn't mind Ms. Rhee, but.. again, she'd get the "outsider" hassle [[not from Detroit, and, in her case, not black), and the standing school board is still there so they'd be obstructionists, etc.

I don't think Rhee, the chancellor [[i.e. superintendent) of D.C. public schools, would be interested in a financial manager position.

gdogslim Guest

Only if she can get a billion dollars from Obama to help the school system.

She has two children with an ex-husband, Kevin Hoffman of Teach for America, how could anyone have a boyfirend in sacramento, a job in Detroit and children in Washington DC? Too much personal drama to handle all the flaming arrows and live grenades which comprise DPS.

Rhee already has something lined up. So don't expect to see her in town heading up the DPS any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    She has two children with an ex-husband, Kevin Hoffman of Teach for America, how could anyone have a boyfirend in sacramento, a job in Detroit and children in Washington DC? Too much personal drama to handle all the flaming arrows and live grenades which comprise DPS.
    On the other hand, she was born in Ann Arbor and grew up in Toledo. So taking a job in Detroit would be a homecoming of sorts...

Its official. Time for Bing to make a pitch for her

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...hancellor.html

Nice summation of what she learned and the mistakes she made. Even though she's taking about DC it could have been Detroit

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/12/06/w...ol-reform.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    if and when Bobb leaves...I wouldn't mind Ms. Rhee, but.. again, she'd get the "outsider" hassle [[not from Detroit, and, in her case, not black), and the standing school board is still there so they'd be obstructionists, etc.

could this possibly be the reason why Detroit has trouble attracting the brightest and best people from around the country ? not just to run the schools, but other areas like police chiefs, and other leadership positions ?

I saw Michelle Rhee on Oprah; she announced that she is not taking any job offer but instead, as mentioned in the Newsweek article that Firstandten posted, she wants to "start a revolution" to fix education in America as a whole, not just in any specific city.

Her initiative is called Students First and can be found at http://www.studentsfirst.org/ . The website lists the group's mission as follows:
    Our mission is to build a national movement to defend the interests of children in public education and pursue transformative reform, so that America has the best education system in the world.

America's schools are failing our kids. On this point, the data is clear. While some people blame the kids, or simply want to throw more money at the problem, we know that real change requires a better system — one that puts students' needs before those of special interests or wasteful bureaucracies.

To succeed in our mission, we're working with parents, teachers, administrators, and citizens across the country to ensure great teachers, access to great schools, and effective use of public dollars. Together, we'll demand that legislators, courts, district administrators, and school boards create and enforce policies that put students first.

We'll make sure politicians and administrators recognize and reward excellent teachers, give novice teachers the training they need, and quickly improve or remove ineffective educators. We'll work to ensure that every family has a number of options for excellent schools to attend, so that getting into a great school becomes a matter of fact, not luck.

And we'll make sure all Americans understand that our schools are not only an anchor for our communities, but an absolute gateway to our national prosperity and competitive standing in the world economy.