Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Michigan Ave. Bike Lanes!

As they finish construction on Michigan Ave between the Clark Street Rail Bridge and some point east downtown they have repainted the street with a pretty solid bike lane. Currently it only runs from the rail bridge to Grand Blvd but should make it to Rosa Parks Blvd.

Good to hear! I've been honked at, swerved around and yelled at by a few less than courteous drivers along Michigan Ave. .

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Good to hear! I've been honked at, swerved around and yelled at by a few less than courteous drivers along Michigan Ave. .
    Yep, I used to ride Michigan Ave between Ann Arbor and Detroit for long rides. A times there would be little to no traffic and I'd be in the far right lane [[which is technically a parking lane). Someone would come up from behind in and lay on the horn. Uh....first there are at least 3 other lanes to choose from....it's a 9 lane road!! Second, they aren't allowed to be using the right lane as a through lane. It's for slow traffic [[such as cyclists) turning vehicles, buses, passenger loading, and parking only.

Great news!

I gave up my bicycle when I turned 17. But I'll yield and be curteous to y'all.

This guy, right here, SUPER excited about this.

They did a nice job on them. The bike lane markings have very thick stripes on both sides. Is it against Michigan Law to obstuct a bike lane? Now they just need an arrow pointing in the right direction for all the englishmen I encounter heading the wrong way. Pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    They did a nice job on them. The bike lane markings have very thick stripes on both sides. Is it against Michigan Law to obstuct a bike lane? Now they just need an arrow pointing in the right direction for all the englishmen I encounter heading the wrong way. Pics tomorrow.
    We like to refer to them as salmon.

It is against the law for motorists to drive, park, or stand in a bike lane. It is also against the law for people to use a bike lane to walk or jog in.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    A times there would be little to no traffic and I'd be in the far right lane [[which is technically a parking lane).
    Actually the far right lane was not a parking lane, at least within Detroit. This was the biggest impediment to getting bike lanes on Michigan Avenue. MDOT would not pay for the paving and maintenance of dedicated parking on state trunk lines and the City didn't want to assume those costs.

Working with MDOT, Rep. Tlaib's office and the Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance, we got around that. It was not trivial as we went almost to the top.

When complete, the bike lanes will run from Military [[one block east of Livernois) to Vermont [[one block west of Rosa Parks.) The Corktown/Mexicantown Greenlink [[more bike lanes and routes) should be completed by early next summer. At the same time, bike lanes will be added along nearly the entire length of W. Vernor.

Has anyone got a map of these fairly short-term improvements?

Scott,

MDOT has construction drawings for this project, but there isn't a map. I am discussing citywide bike map possibilities with city officials and others.

SEMCOG has recently produced a layered .pdf map with bicyclist information.

Link to how to use layered pdfs: http://www.semcog.org/uploadedFiles/...structions.pdf

Link to Detroit portion of Map:
    http://www.semcog.org/uploadedFiles/...le/Detroit.pdf

the far right lane [[which is technically a parking lane).

Second, they aren't allowed to be using the right lane as a through lane. It's for slow traffic [[such as cyclists) turning vehicles, buses, passenger loading, and parking only.
    Says who?

I used to drive the right lane all the time along with a lot of other traffic.

I'm surprised more people don't know about this. The Greenway has been talked about at community meetings for over a year. Maybe some of us should start getting more involved in our neighborhood organizations.....