Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Detroit Trash Incinerator Shuts Down

I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet.

Link: http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.ph...-theres-smoke/

According to Covanta Energy, minority owner and operator of Detroit’s waste-to-energy incinerator, the facility that burns Detroit’s municipal waste has shut down because of “economic factors,”according to a company statement.

The main cause of those difficulties is an ability to negotiate a contract with Detroit Thermal, which previously bought steam produced at the incinerator. When the contract expired with no new agreement in place on Oct. 1, the facility could not afford to keep operating.

The Greater Detroit Resource Recovery Authority, which is responsible for overseeing disposal of the city’s municipal waste, has had a contingency plan in place that involves trucking the Detroit’s garbage to landfills. It is unclear at the moment if that plan has yet been implemented.

Covanta also tells Metro Times that the three-month option period for a purchase agreement with thermal Ventures II, the parent company of Detroit Thermal, expired at the end of September with no agreement being reached.

“We are still exploring scenarios with a myriad of stakeholders in Detroit. If the right agreements can be reached, the plant will reopen,” Covanta said in its statement.

Detroit Thermal provides steam to an underground loop that heats and cools 146 buildings downtown. The system remains operable, with Detroit Thermal producing its own steam by burning natural gas.

I thought they shut down the incenerator a few months ago?

This is great news in a number of ways. First for the largely impoverished neighborhoods immediately east of the incinerator who have suffered decades of its stench and pollution. Second for the booming and rising cultural center area to the west that, when the prevailing winds change, also get the effects [See the What is the godawful smell in midtown today? thread]. Third for the city which pays far more for waste disposal by incineration than they do for landfill disposal.

Shut it down and, to use the oft quoted phrase on the forum which applies there more than anywhere in the city, "Tear that sch** down!"

YAY! The in "STINK" erator is closed. Now I can breathe clear air in midtown.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! The in "STINK" erator is closed. Now I can breathe clear air in midtown.
    Not so fast, Dannerator. Maybe you should go with "cleaner."

Stuck in the past, Detroit doesn't improve its trash burning capabilities as is the trend in Europe, but 'tears that sch**' down. I thought this was a progressive forum.

I'd like to hear where the trash mountain should be? Perhaps Grand River and 12th? Any other ideas?

Yeah, I'd rather they shut it down then start to do some 'down-low' secret cost-savings measures like releasing more toxins due to some short cut, or valve left open or what not dues to lack of folks to supervise critical tasks etc. Ala Chernobyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This is great news in a number of ways. First for the largely impoverished neighborhoods immediately east of the incinerator who have suffered decades of its stench and pollution. Second for the booming and rising cultural center area to the west that, when the prevailing winds change, also get the effects [See the What is the godawful smell in midtown today? thread]. Third for the city which pays far more for waste disposal by incineration than they do for landfill disposal.

Shut it down and, to use the oft quoted phrase on the forum which applies there more than anywhere in the city, "Tear that sch** down!"

As much as I am loathe to due recycling [[due to the extra work of sorting), I do support the idea and wonder why it is not even discussed as an option for the city. Or perhaps it has come up in the past??
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Stuck in the past, Detroit doesn't improve its trash burning capabilities as is the trend in Europe, but 'tears that sch**' down. I thought this was a progressive forum.

I'd like to hear where the trash mountain should be? Perhaps Grand River and 12th? Any other ideas?

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As much as I am loathe to due recycling [[due to the extra work of sorting), I do support the idea and wonder why it is not even discussed as an option for the city. Or perhaps it has come up in the past??
    ?

We have had a recylcing pilot program in East English Village and also in Rosedale Park [[and the surrounding areas of both) since Cockrel's administration started it. We don't need to sort. I'm not sure when it stops being a "pilot" or where it goes from here.

Unfortunately only about 25% of households in both areas participate. I have no idea what the other 75% that are idiots are doing, filling the bins with toys or making weapons out of them or what. It is especially inexcusable since all you need to do is fill the bins and put them out. This is in Detroit's best neighborhoods too: imagine what the participation rate would be for the poor and uneducated areas would be? Probably close to zero.

I also question what the city actually does with the recycling. I wouldn't put it past them to just throw it out, especially since they don't require sorting.

I put my bin out every week, nonetheless.

Eminent domain for downsizing the city. Create a large city landfill. Take the burbs trash too [[for a fee). Later you can sell the "mountain view" estates on Mount Trashmore.

Bearinabox Guest

How about out in the sticks somewhere? New Boston, perhaps? That's where Toronto dumps theirs, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    How about out in the sticks somewhere? New Boston, perhaps? That's where Toronto dumps theirs, no?
    Quite a few landfills in rural Michigan.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Quite a few landfills in rural Michigan.
    Which is where these things belong.

Unless the city of Detroit can do it cheaper, it needs to jettison money loosing enterprises that aren't core city services. DPL, the Incinerator, Cobo hall... anything that needs constant subsidies to operate needs to be privatized, spun off or shut down.

As for the incinerator - good riddance. There are plenty of landfills the city can use, and we aren't running out of space for them any time soon.

I'm all for recycling if it can pay for itself. Though, from what I've read, the only material that really makes sense to recycle is metal [[hence the scrapper problem.)

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Unless the city of Detroit can do it cheaper, it needs to jettison money loosing enterprises that aren't core city services. DPL, the Incinerator, Cobo hall... anything that needs constant subsidies to operate needs to be privatized, spun off or shut down.

As for the incinerator - good riddance. There are plenty of landfills the city can use, and we aren't running out of space for them any time soon.

I'm all for recycling if it can pay for itself. Though, from what I've read, the only material that really makes sense to recycle is metal [[hence the scrapper problem.)
    Take heart, you guys. According to the article, it's only temporary.

“We are still exploring scenarios with a myriad of stakeholders in Detroit. If the right agreements can be reached, the plant will reopen,” Covanta said in its statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Which is where these things belong.
    Those of us in "rural Michigan" don't want any more trash than we already generate ourselves. I would personally like to see some version of the "Mr. Fusion" concept from the Back to the Future movies become a reality. I realize I'm referring to a lightweight 80s comedy, but converting trash into useable energy should not be fantasy.

...if this becomes "permanent", then what would be done with the incinerator grounds? Redevelopment? if so, into what?
    are there not environmental risks for landfills as well?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Those of us in "rural Michigan" don't want any more trash than we already generate ourselves.
    I'm sure you don't, but it's an issue of how many people are affected by it. If you want to live in a rural area that isn't near a landfill, move to one.

If we as a society have decided that our trash output is a problem, the first thing we should do is stop creating so much disposable crap.

About damn time. It was a nuisance from the start. Perhaps I might be able to breath just slightly better now.

Tear all that sch** down! For all the reasons Lowell cited.

Dance to the music! http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9570399

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    ?

We have had a recylcing pilot program in East English Village and also in Rosedale Park [[and the surrounding areas of both) since Cockrel's administration started it. We don't need to sort. I'm not sure when it stops being a "pilot" or where it goes from here.

Unfortunately only about 25% of households in both areas participate. I have no idea what the other 75% that are idiots are doing, filling the bins with toys or making weapons out of them or what. It is especially inexcusable since all you need to do is fill the bins and put them out. This is in Detroit's best neighborhoods too: imagine what the participation rate would be for the poor and uneducated areas would be? Probably close to zero.

I also question what the city actually does with the recycling. I wouldn't put it past them to just throw it out, especially since they don't require sorting.

I put my bin out every week, nonetheless.
    I believe neighboring suburbs who recycle have compulsory partcipation. Although I've never heard of anyone ever getting a fine. I'm surprised the program wasn't piloted in Midtown or Woodbridge where you have a lot of younger residents who grew up with recycling when it started in the late 80's in the rest of the US.