Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why did Jay Noren really leave Wayne State?

It was said that Jay Noren left his post at WSU due to his desire to be closer to his cancer-stricken wife. This was in Crain's:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...aises-eyebrows

What really happened between Jay Noren and the board of governers? I had the chance to meet him her ein DC at a rather large WSU alumi gathering and he was very friendly and outgoing. He seemed to care deeply about the school and region. Am I missing something?

I wondered the same thing, now that he is sniffing around another school that farther from Chicago than WSU. I forget which one, Memphis? Nashville? COuldn't read the article without signing in.

Appointed WSU Pres May, 2008

Resigned Aug 6, 2010, his statement:

In a message to campus, Noren noted, "When my wife Sheri and I decided to take demanding positions in separate cities [[Sheri is provost at Illinois State University, Normal, IL), we anticipated it would be personally challenging. However, we did not anticipate Sheri's breast cancer diagnosis, which has dramatically increased those challenges this past year. She is now doing well, with successful chemotherapy and an excellent prognosis. Nonetheless, though I will miss participating in and observing the realization of Wayne State's huge potential, this transition will enhance our personal lives significantly."

Now this: Oct 7, 2010, Former Wayne State University President Jay Noren will not be the next president of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, the university announced today.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-12-10 at 07:03 PM.

When you have boards running these institutions, meeting behind closed doors, in secret sessions, withholding voting and other information from the very public paying the bills, you get lies, distortions and secrets. We'll likely never know what really took place with Noren and the WSU Board.

To me Noren's resignation seemed puzzling. Had his wife needed major cancer treatments, would she not have been able to do that here? I mean Karmanos is a stone's throw from WSU. My chemo was major and prolonged, I could not work. If her treatments would have been similar and medical leave needed, no doubt Karmanos would have been a good alternative.

My oncologists told me that I could receive chemo at various locations, that the protocol was determined and the treatments could have been done at any cancer facility.

I couldn't do the math the way Noren did, his explanation did not add up to me. I expected some type of undisclosed drama or personal issue was brewing and maybe he was given the option to resign or be dismissed possibly? Or maybe he hated Detroit and wanted to get out of town??

with WSU's board of governors, what is the political alignment of each member? Also, why are these roles designed to be partisan? why the increase of tuition every year? why is WSU's graduation rate relatively low?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    with WSU's board of governors, what is the political alignment of each member? Also, why are these roles designed to be partisan? why the increase of tuition every year? why is WSU's graduation rate relatively low?
    For some reason, a lot of the state of Michigan's elected positions are on a partisan ballot. When we moved from Detroit to Rochester, even the township library board and cemetery board were on the partisan ballot.

The regents for all of the state universities are on the partisan ballot. In Virginia, they are appointed by the governor.

Remember Jay Noren - that sleeper of a president that WSU had for a couple years, turns out he is now provost at a university in Abu Dhabi?

Only worth mentioning because I think the official reason he left WSU was “to be close to his wife in Chicago”. Hmmm, makes you wonder...

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ed...sity-1.1046261