Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Single Malt Scotch. Where to buy?

I am looking for a place near Hazel Park that has a nice selection with non stratospheric pricing . I am mainly interested in purchasing Lagavulin 16 year old; it's a gift for an upcoming B-Day. The local party store tells me he can order it in for $69 but it takes about a week; Great price but that lead time cuts it pretty close to the date of the party.

Prices are set by the State Of MI...you might find that most places sell using the "shelf price" list price although some stores can and do mark up for a larger profit. Your best bet for widest selection in your near area would be Holiday Market in Royal Oak...one of the best and most extensive inventories...they do tend to mark up a bit, but again based on the inventory, it's great one stop shopping.

Oxford Beverage and deli, in GP Woods has an absolutely huge scotch selection. [[ I know that isn't as close as Holiday, but it's prices are better)
    Last edited by bailey; October-12-10 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo

Try calling Wiaters Beverage House, 2459 E 8 Mile Rd near Grosbeck in Warren [[586)777-8503

Been in business as long as I can remember, over 50 years, and usually have the more obscure liquors in stock.

Go to Canada. Better supply for the higher end single malts and pricing on them is usually in line or better than in the U.S., well Michigan at least.
    Last edited by GOAT; October-12-10 at 10:58 AM.

the red wagon sez they have it.

http://www.redwagonshoppe.com/spirit...alt_scotch.htm

here is their address and ph
    http://www.redwagonshoppe.com/map1.htm

Whigville Market in Grand Blanc seems to have everything. I know its a little far from Hazel Park but it might work if they have it.

www.whigville.com

Champane's on 13-Mile between Van Dyke and Mound has a pretty good selection of everything having to do with alcohol, and the prices are OK.

http://www.champanes.com/

Seems like you're being offered a pretty good deal. Your liquor store guy sounds like he's offering to get it for you at or near cost. The Liquor Control Commission minimum retail shelf price in Michigan for the Lagavulin line is currently listed at $74.96 for the 12 year old, $86.99 for the 16 year old [[listed as just "Lagavulin Scotch"), and $109.97 for their "Distiller's Edition."

Good idea Al, I noticed that a few of the recomended places are all ready charging the higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Go to Canada. Better supply for the higher end single malts and pricing on them is usually in line or better than in the U.S., well Michigan at least.
    Does the purchase have to be at a Duty Free Shop? I checked out the Duty Free Shop in Soo Ontario and they did not have Lagavulin.

If you want a less pricey and yet very fine single malt scotch... try the Glenfiddich Scotch.

I could never stand the taste of Scotch Whiskey until an acquaintance introduced me to the Single Malt Scotch... very smooth!

IIRC... the 12 year old Glenfiddich Scotch was in the $30-$40 price range... but that was a few years ago.

Mr. C's Deli in Grosse Pointe Farms on Mack. Ave. at Warren Ave. has it in a nice canister gift box.

As a single malt scotch drinker I say "bleck" to Glenfiddich.

As for Duty Free, non-duty free, I don't think it would be an issue for one bottle of quality scotch to bring across. You can purchase liquor anywhere just keep the receipt in case they ask. I always explain when I cross from either side why I have it and 99% of the time customs lets me through.

I agree - the "common" single malt - glenfiddich and glenlevit ar blech. lagavuling is yummy stuff. I want a bottle of the sherry-cask 21 yo for xmas

Buy American! Drink bourbon!

Scotch? Its rusty nail time!

The Ontario LCBO website currently shows Lagavulin 16 at $109.95. Given the current exchange rate, there's certainly no savings there.

Get some Jameson's Irish whiskey. There is no such thing as single malt in Irish whiskeys since all of them are unblended. Get an ordinary bottle of Jameson's and dont worry about how long it's been sitting in a cask or vat or whatever. Pay 25 dollars and what you save on paying for the mindfucking campaigns, you can spend on Anchovy-filled olives or cheeseburger flavored Doritos to go with it.

Picked up a bottle of Old Overholt rye in Indiana the other day for $13.99 [[not sold in Michigan) Poured some over a couple of ice cubes and it was some of the best sippin whiskey I've ever had. Sorry for going off post re scotch but I just love American whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    Scotch? Its rusty nail time!
    Hell no!.........It's Rob Roy time!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Old Overholt rye in Indiana the other day for $13.99 [[not sold in Michigan) Poured some over a couple of ice cubes and it was some of the best sippin whiskey I've ever had. Sorry for going off post re scotch but I just love American whiskey.
    Way to go Downriviera, I'm a snob for inexpensive, but good stuff too. American or Canadian whiskey suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Get some Jameson's Irish whiskey. There is no such thing as single malt in Irish whiskeys since all of them are unblended. Get an ordinary bottle of Jameson's and dont worry about how long it's been sitting in a cask or vat or whatever. Pay 25 dollars and what you save on paying for the mindfucking campaigns, you can spend on Anchovy-filled olives or cheeseburger flavored Doritos to go with it.
    LOVE your comment!!! I've had Jamison's before down the street. Not bad stuff but I love the smokiness of the Lagavulin.

Canuck, you are so right. I've had 10 yr old bourbons that are cheaper and better than ones that are aged 20 yrs or more. Quite often they use the same mash bill and fancy it up with packaging and marketing campaigns and higher prices. PT Barnum was right, there is a sucker born every minute.

Downriviera, thats because it is a bourbon. Now a properly made single malt scotch? That is worth every penny [[and don't damn well ruin it by mixing it into a cocktail).

Or water, or you'll ruin it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast