Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mildred Gaddis' show is losing steam fast

Anyone out there listen to "Inside Detroit" on WCHB AM 1200, hosted by Mildred Gaddis? Seems that the show has lost quite a bit of steam lately, especially since the Kwame scandal has died down.

The show seems to rely heaviliy on lenghty pre-recorded news clips, speeches, and interviews to fill up time. If I wanted to watch hear such content, I'd get online and play them myself.

It also appears that, as of late, Mildred is having trouble booking leading local newsmakers [[e.g., Mayor Bing, Robert Bobb, most members of Detroit City Council, etc.). Instead, she's had to rely on little-known bloggers, political consultants, and a disproportionate number of out of state guests discussing issues that don't necessarily pertain to the Detroit area. I suspect that she's pi---d off so many local figures that she can't book them anymore. For a local talk show, this is troubling.

The evening re-broadcasts and the Friday shows in particular use an unusually high amount of music [[I heard a 20-minute gospel music block in the middle of her talk show yesterday!) for a talk show. I don't know about you, but if I want to listen to music, I'll turn to a music channel.

Seems to me that's she's running out of ways to fill up four hours every day.

I don't know what the ratings are looking like right now for her show, but unless things improve soon, I suspect her show is in danger.

I stopped listening months ago. The only time I make an attempt to listen is if there is a chance Charlie Langton is on.

If Midred Gaddis' show is not picking up more audiences. Do as Rush Linbaugh do, promote bad criticism toward left politics. Or head to clear channel radio. It's part of the norm in American media.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    I stopped listening months ago. The only time I make an attempt to listen is if there is a chance Charlie Langton is on.
    He cracks me up.

If Mildred is losing steam, then maybe that will force her to change her format up a little.
    I've listened to her for quite awhile because she does talk about a lot of local issues, but she doesn't encourage much intellectual discourse. She seems to have a bad habit of talking over or hanging up on people who have opinions which differ from hers. Neither does she offer much variety. Kwame was the topic of the day for about 3 years straight. And I think it would be nice if she had guests on the show other than Charlie Langton and Ellis Liddell. Not that they not competent representatives of their chosen fields, but sometimes it would be nice to hear someone else's perspective on legal or financial matters.

I agree Ct...I stopped listening months ago. Too many fillers on her broadcast and topics that are unrelated to the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    but she doesn't encourage much intellectual discourse. She seems to have a bad habit of talking over or hanging up on people who have opinions which differ from hers.
    This is exactly why I stopped listening. She tends to be biased and one-sided. Also, her callers started giving me tension. It just seemed to sounds like one ignorant person after another-- which she encouraged as long as it kept in line with her agenda.

Mildred had called her show "Inside Detroit" to discuss mostly issues and events that happens within Detroit and it's surrounding suburbs. Mildred cannot hold a conversation on world events without having George Curry and other analyst on her show. She is not a Laura Ingraham, Randi Rhodes, or neither Stephanie Miller. She came from WJLB over to WCHB in 1999. She doesnt have the skill to go primetime. Angelo Henderson's show is alright. He is too frantic at times. Guest had been on his show to solicit money from the listening audience to pay for a funeral or help buy a sink for a person who house had been vandalized. WCHB were at it's strongest in the early to late 1990s when you had better talk show hosts on the air

Ms. Gaddis' was on the cusp of gaining national attention for her show and her opinion-making in early 2009. Then she made a huge miscalculation. She aligned herself with Monica Conyers and very loudly and publicly opposed the Cobo Center regional authority legislation. Folks will probably recall that the legislation had been passed in Lansing and was going to take effect unless the City Council voted to reject it by a certain date. Ms. Gaddis hopped onboard Ms. Conyers' horribly divisive eleventh hour campaign to reject the legislation. The two of them adopted the "outsiders are stealing our jewels" argument to stir up the same folks who are satisfied with the status quo at the Detroit Public Schools. They outrageously claimed that these outsiders were attempting to steal a billion dollar asset from poor Detroiters, disregarding the plain truth that when it comes to the City budget, Cobo Center's expenses far exceed its revenues.

Ms. Gaddis alienated a large percentage of her listenership when she took this position. She also angered a lot of leaders both here and in Lansing. It was a very bad mistake to uncritically adopt Ms. Conyers' position. Not only could her informed viewers perceive the fallacy in her position on the Cobo Center legislation, Ms. Gaddis was also suggesting to them that she was a supporter of a politician whose popularity was sliding very fast due to her erratic behavior and ugly, racist statements. It's really inexplicable that Ms. Gaddis chose that path. Opposing a transfer of Cobo Center and playing the race card to do it was just meritless. Her career has taken a hit.

Once you stop being objective, you've jumped the fence. You're in all the way.
    Either you'll be successful or drop like a rock in the ratings.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Actually, there's no such thing as objectivity in the media [[or anywhere, for that matter). However, our biases and lack of attention to fair and balanced reporting shouldn't be so blatant.

Mildred has been a pundit [[commentator) in this metro area for many years [[highlighted by the KK scandal. She rode that wave for as long as it held up and it's still not over yet) and she has done rather well considering the mix of this area's pundits overall. Either you're getting SOME frustrated White males even more resentful of what's going on, or illiterate, hoodrat-ish discourse limited to gangsta hip hop, being held down by "the man", or baby daddy/mama drama. Neither of these options appeal to me.

Unfortunately, I think swingline has a point [[not saying that it's unfortunate that swingline has a point but that it's unfortunate that his point is "on point). I think Mildred dipped a bit too deep into the politics of the Cobo Center deal and then on top of that, she may not have been on the right side of that argument.

I listen in occasionally when there's an interesting guest or when KK-related fodder has resurfaced--mainly for the comedy.

I wonder if radio is going the way that print newspapers have been going in recent years: there's simply more options and opportunities to get [[tailored) news and information.

[[Kanye shrug)

gdogslim Guest

Yes, I would do what Danny said, Gaddis should copy Rush and promote the right wing agenda and then her ratings would pick up as he said.
    Or at least do everything the opposite of Rush, it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Ms. Gaddis' was on the cusp of gaining national attention for her show and her opinion-making in early 2009. Then she made a huge miscalculation. She aligned herself with Monica Conyers and very loudly and publicly opposed the Cobo Center regional authority legislation. Folks will probably recall that the legislation had been passed in Lansing and was going to take effect unless the City Council voted to reject it by a certain date. Ms. Gaddis hopped onboard Ms. Conyers' horribly divisive eleventh hour campaign to reject the legislation. The two of them adopted the "outsiders are stealing our jewels" argument to stir up the same folks who are satisfied with the status quo at the Detroit Public Schools. They outrageously claimed that these outsiders were attempting to steal a billion dollar asset from poor Detroiters, disregarding the plain truth that when it comes to the City budget, Cobo Center's expenses far exceed its revenues.

Ms. Gaddis alienated a large percentage of her listenership when she took this position. She also angered a lot of leaders both here and in Lansing. It was a very bad mistake to uncritically adopt Ms. Conyers' position. Not only could her informed viewers perceive the fallacy in her position on the Cobo Center legislation, Ms. Gaddis was also suggesting to them that she was a supporter of a politician whose popularity was sliding very fast due to her erratic behavior and ugly, racist statements. It's really inexplicable that Ms. Gaddis chose that path. Opposing a transfer of Cobo Center and playing the race card to do it was just meritless. Her career has taken a hit.
    This was one of the main reasons I stopped listening, I couldn't stomach the fact that Mildred was playing the race baiting card on an issue that should have been a non-issue. Also, ever since it seems that most of the callers are completely moronic.

There's some good community shows on 107.5 FM -- the thing is, I never know when they're on. I just randomly catch them.

Yes, I've caught 'talk' radio on there and it was very good... but no predictable time frame. 107.5 also has one of the best old-school, r&b, and funk song rotations on Fridays and Saturdays! Just wonderful!!

30 minutes plus of some great classic soul and funk... with little 'celebrity' DJ yacking and talking...
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    There's some good community shows on 107.5 FM -- the thing is, I never know when they're on. I just randomly catch them.

I am a talk-radio listener for over 30+ years and the babble that emits from some of her callers is just too much. And sometimes she was just simply on the wrong side of too many crucial issues related to the city, politically and socially speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    This was one of the main reasons I stopped listening, I couldn't stomach the fact that Mildred was playing the race baiting card on an issue that should have been a non-issue. Also, ever since it seems that most of the callers are completely moronic.

"107.5 also has one of the best old-school, r&b, and funk song rotations on Fridays and Saturdays! Just wonderful!! 30 minutes plus of some great classic soul and funk... with little 'celebrity' DJ yacking and talking..."

I agree completely! I listen to 107.5 a lot for the music, especially on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Actually, I've never had a big issue with Mildred's objectivity, or lack thereof. Having a certain point of view is what makes a radio talk show interesting. For instance, on the whole KK scandal, she was totally on the right side of the issue, and didn't pretend to be unbiased.

My problem is that she's antagonized so many people, including those who used to appear on her show [[when's the last time you heard Gary Brown or Robert Bobb on her show, and they used to appear frequently?).

On the other hand, while I think he's a total corporate, name-dropping, right-leaning butt-kisser, Paul W. Smith on WJR at least has no trouble securing guests from all over the local community and across the political spectrum.

Unfortunately, I think Mildred's best days are behind her.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Mildred cannot hold a conversation on world events without having George Curry and other analyst on her show. She is not a Laura Ingraham, Randi Rhodes, or neither Stephanie Miller. She came from WJLB over to WCHB in 1999. She doesnt have the skill to go primetime. Angelo Henderson's show is alright.
    Actually, I think Mildred shouldn't even attempt to emulate the other hosts you mentioned. Her show is called "Inside Detroit", and she should bring the focus back to local issues, of which there is no shortage. Just this morning, for instance, she was doing a segment about something to do with an article that will appear in Vibe magazine about Morehouse College in Atlanta. Where's the Detroit connection?

As for Angelo's show, it's probably the worst thing that could have happened to Mildred. I've noticed that more local figures that probably should be appearing on Mildred's show are opting to appear on Angelo's show instead. While his show is a little on the lighter side, and while he is often silly [[sometimes annoyingly so), he does appear to have a good grasp about local issues, and is able to bring in the newsmakers to discuss them.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that Angelo has become the unofficial "yes man" for Charles Pugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ct4life View Post
    Actually, I think Mildred shouldn't even attempt to emulate the other hosts you mentioned. Her show is called "Inside Detroit", and she should bring the focus back to local issues, of which there is no shortage. Just this morning, for instance, she was doing a segment about something to do with an article that will appear in Vibe magazine about Morehouse College in Atlanta. Where's the Detroit connection?.
    If you're going to do national issues in which I think sometimes you need to do at least try and find a Detroit connection to bring it back locally. There are plenty of Detroiters that are students at Morehouse or failing that a Spelman student. A current Detroit student at the school could have been interviewed on the impact of the crossdressers and the resulting dress code and its impact. As minor as it is at least then there would be a Detroit angle to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ct4life View Post
    Just this morning, for instance, she was doing a segment about something to do with an article that will appear in Vibe magazine about Morehouse College in Atlanta. Where's the Detroit connection?
    I think what's happening at a historically black college [[HBC), and the only all-male HBC in the U.S. at that, would be of great interest to a city that is majority African-American.

Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    It just seemed to sounds like one ignorant person after another .
    This, of course, describes all talk radio. And most of the hosts

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    If you're going to do national issues in which I think sometimes you need to do at least try and find a Detroit connection to bring it back locally. There are plenty of Detroiters that are students at Morehouse or failing that a Spelman student. A current Detroit student at the school could have been interviewed on the impact of the crossdressers and the resulting dress code and its impact. As minor as it is at least then there would be a Detroit angle to the story.
    heh.. well, if Morehouse's graduation rates don't spike up in the next year or two, they can't blame it on the crossdressers anymore..

a lot of the hosts will latch on to any news with a sensational angle, regardless if the subject matter is [[relatively) flimsy..

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Saturday mornings & Sundays [[after the block where they air tapings of church services).

If I recall it's one of the few independently owned FM stations left in Detroit [[black-owned at that).
    Last edited by 313WX; October-13-10 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast