Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1330

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    This week's most shocking news story.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-26-18 at 04:50 AM.

I attended a municipal Christmas singing concert at which there was one piece of music I was not acquainted with performed by a symphony flutist and a huge organ. I was astounded that I was unacquainted with the piece and the performance was so good that I told my wife that I thought we finally got some out our excessive property tax money back. This is more of a haunting winter tune than a Christmas song but close enough.

as sung by Jackie Evancho, 13 year old classical singer, singing We're walking in the air, written by Howard Blake for The Snowman.

Here's a non-vocal organ version more like what I heard at the concert:
    Last edited by oladub; December-08-18 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I attended a municipal Christmas singing concert at which there was one piece of music I was not acquainted with performed by a symphony flutist and a huge organ. I was astounded that I was unacquainted with the piece and the performance was so good that I told my wife that I thought we finally got some out our excessive property tax money back. This is more of a haunting winter tune than a Christmas song but close enough.

as sung by Jackie Evancho, 13 year old classical singer, singing We're walking in the air, written by Howard Blake for The Snowman.

Here's a non-vocal organ version more like what I heard at the concert:
    She's 18 now

Does having a song stuck in your head for days count?

Army Dreamers - Kate Bush
    Arguably the most brutally sad song I know of...and the one that best encapsulates a mother's loss:
    Our little army boy
    Is coming home from B.F.P.O <British Forces Post Office>
    I've a bunch of purple flowers
    To decorate a mammy's hero
    Mourning in the aerodrome
    The weather warm, he is colder
    Four men in uniform
    To carry home my little soldier

Euringer, the lead singer from electro-punk band Mindless Self Indulgence, doing a hyper-speed cover of What A Fool Believes by The Doobie Brothers. The music video is period-appropriate, though, it contains cursing in Italian, drug use and a man in underwear dancing around if you are offended by that kind of thing. I think it's hilarious.

Haven't heard this one in a generation, but I hope he plays it at the Fox when I see him in August.

^^^ Thanks for the reminder of this band! Cool!

An mp3 mixed file of Eric Johnson.

You just know something special is coming when a video features a revered toy goat as a recurring mascot.

Copper scares me | 1st CNC attempt

[[Beethoven, Symphony No. 9, Op. 125, "Ode to Joy")

I love the smell of cutting fluid in the morning.... Smells like — victory.

Merry Spring, Detroit.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-19-19 at 05:25 PM.

Jazz At The Pawn Shop by Arne Domnérus, one of the best recorded albums of all time.

The Pawn Shop is a microscopic jazz club in Stockholm. Imagine a medium-sized living room with a slightly raised stage on one end. The engineer simply threw a couple of microphones on the stage, checked levels, and hit record on a small analog reel-to-reel. The end result is a recording that sounds like you're sitting in a small jazz club. You can hear people walking around and cashing out at the bar, which is about ten feet behind the microphones. You can hear where the musicians are on the stage. Sax and vibraphone in the middle, drums on the left, piano on the right. Quiet parts are quiet, loud parts are loud. You can hear the crowd having a good time.

Now, compare this to most modern music, where everything is compressed to sound LOUD, drums sound like they recorded in a closet, vocals sound like they were either recorded in a cave or with the mic jammed down the singer's throat.

Thank you JBMcB for this reference. I listened to a bit of it and will come back to it later!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Thank you JBMcB for this reference. I listened to a bit of it and will come back to it later!
    I've always wanted to reply to this thread, but sadly, an ex-girlfriend stole my 200+ CD's 20 years ago, and I lost my love of music, or so I thought -

But now I have the Postmodern YouTube channel for all great covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLnW3cJRUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVevvbFNKiY
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-21-19 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Jazz At The Pawn Shop by Arne Domnérus, one of the best recorded albums of all time.

The Pawn Shop is a microscopic jazz club in Stockholm. Imagine a medium-sized living room with a slightly raised stage on one end. The engineer simply threw a couple of microphones on the stage, checked levels, and hit record on a small analog reel-to-reel. The end result is a recording that sounds like you're sitting in a small jazz club. You can hear people walking around and cashing out at the bar, which is about ten feet behind the microphones. You can hear where the musicians are on the stage. Sax and vibraphone in the middle, drums on the left, piano on the right. Quiet parts are quiet, loud parts are loud. You can hear the crowd having a good time.

Now, compare this to most modern music, where everything is compressed to sound LOUD, drums sound like they recorded in a closet, vocals sound like they were either recorded in a cave or with the mic jammed down the singer's throat.

Most of the Pawn Shop recordings are good, some are Ok. There are other labels that are also better quality. Almost anything from Village Vanguard is good because of the miking techniques used. Compression in itself isn't evil, it's the implementation and who's behind the wheel that makes the difference. I have single and double mike none compressed live Jazz recordings that are simply bor-ing. If you're listening on cellphones with ear buds it's pretty much a moot point anyway.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-22-19 at 03:28 AM.

In memory of Russ Gibb: MC 5, Kick Out the Jams.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    In memory of Russ Gibb: MC 5, Kick Out the Jams.
    Is it the "Brothers and Sisters" version?

https://www.wimp.com/navy-band-wows-...y-boys-medley/

Finally tax payer dollar$ at work.

Thank you U.S. Navy. [[Alright with me - ex Navy )
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-11-19 at 10:44 PM.

^^^^^ That got me binging on everything "Jersey Boys" on YouTube and Netflix.

The holy trinity of music. The Four Tops, Temptations, and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-11-19 at 10:40 PM.

In honor of their Hall of Fame induction, The Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    ^^^^^ That got me binging on everything "Jersey Boys" on YouTube and Netflix.

The holy trinity of music. The Four Tops, Temptations, and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
    Of course I could also do ELP, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd,
    but that would defeat the hum factor.

And I have not forgot the Supremes', Gladys Knight, Mary Wells, and others.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-18-19 at 05:10 PM.

Of course I could also do, Elp, Crimson King, and Pink Floyd,
    but that would defeat the hum factor.

And I have not forgot the Supremes', Gladys Knight, Mary Wells, and others.
    You're a regular 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're a regular 21st Century Schizoid Man.
    That I could hum along to. Correction by me - it's King Crimson, [[Half Century brain fart).

That I could hum along to. Correction by me - it's King Crimson, [[Half Century brain fart).
    Since you posted that yesterday, 21st Century Schizoid Man has been running around my brain, and I can't find the CD! One of the songs on it IS "In The Court Of The Crimson King". Maybe that's what you were thinking of.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-18-19 at 08:21 PM.

So it wasn't a fifty year old brain fart. I'll check Amazon.
    Bring on the legal weed. I won't care.

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast