Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Miles Davis - Agharta
    Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
    I might just go home now and play those

JB was touring a couple of years ago with this outrageously talented bass player who couldn't have beeen more than 18-19 yo. she was a very intense performer

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I might just go home now and play those

JB was touring a couple of years ago with this outrageously talented bass player who couldn't have beeen more than 18-19 yo. she was a very intense performer
    That would be Tal Wilkenfeld. A phenom. Saw her with Eric Clapton once. And also recently with Jeff at Crossroad on Palladium.

Quazar - Quazar
    Chico Debarge - Addiction

That would be Tal Wilkenfeld
    I never heard of her before. I found a clip of her with her own group on Aussie TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_T0pGF0c6Q

Not my fave style of music, but it's always nice to see female musicians kicking butt.

Ravine Guest

Vetal, "Agharta" is a big favorite of mine.
    It has some Moments of Meandering but there is a section, in that performance [[during the expansive jam later identified as "Turnaround,") which I have always found to be totally invigorating. The section pretty much climaxes with a scorching Sonny Fortune solo. Goddam awesome, I say, awesome.
    I could try to be more specific, but the only copy I have is the original 2-LP package, on which the identifications [[of the pieces and the sides, it seemed) do not look as though they are correct, although "Maiysha" is certainly quite recognizable.
    Last edited by Ravine; October-08-09 at 09:22 PM.

Pam, could not agree more. A strong, confident, smart, or otherwise talented woman is very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Vetal, "Agharta" is a big favorite of mine.
    It has some Moments of Meandering but there is a section, in that performance [[during the expansive jam later identified as "Turnaround,") which I have always found to be totally invigorating. The section pretty much climaxes with a scorching Sonny Fortune solo. Goddam awesome, I say, awesome.
    I could try to be more specific, but the only copy I have is the original 2-LP package, on which the identifications [[of the pieces and the sides, it seemed) do not look as though they are correct, although "Maiysha" is certainly quite recognizable.
    Miles is like a rare wine - to be enjoyed in small quantities. I listen to Agharta only about 3 times a year.

"Maiysha" is correct.

Regarding the titles etc..., the brief wiki information is accurate in this case --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agharta_%28album%29

Reset my playlist tonight.

Two very attractive and funky women:

• Rhythm - "Here and Now" [[Rhythm is a very pretty lady and she has an equally attractive, crystal-like voice)
    • Wayna - "Higher Ground" [[terribly funky this one is)

One of the "classics:

• Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola & Jean-Luc Ponty - "The Rite of Strings"

Disco Fever baby:

• Chic - "Chic"
    • Chic - "C'est Chic"

Man, we partied like we were gonna party and live forever back then. No joke. We thought, "Ain't no stoppin us now".

Jon Hassell http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...ifoxqw5ldje~T1

what Miles Davis might sound like if he fused jazz with world music

dark, ominous, the rhythmic sound of distant drums and a muted horn
    Last edited by eno; October-10-09 at 01:36 PM.

Ravine Guest

Vetal, your post baffles me.

"Miles is like a rare wine - to be enjoyed in small quantities. I listen to Agharta only about 3 times a year.

"Maiysha" is correct."

Well yeah, "Maiysha" is played during that performance. Anyone who knows the melody would immediately recognize it. The problem with my 2-LP set is that the ID'ing of the pieces and the sides does not match up with the sequence I hear if I play sides 1 through 4 in order.

And, "rare wine?" "Small quantities?"
    Clearly, we do not feel the same way about Miles Davis...

John Mclaughlin - Electric Guitarist [[Stellar cast - McLaughlin, Cobham, Goodman, Santana, Walden, Sanborn, Ryshen, Smith, Corea, Clarke, DeJohnette, Williams, and more!)

Tony Scott Featuring Jan Akkerman - Prism
    Jan Akkerman - 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Vetal, your post baffles me.

"Miles is like a rare wine - to be enjoyed in small quantities. I listen to Agharta only about 3 times a year.

"Maiysha" is correct."

Well yeah, "Maiysha" is played during that performance. Anyone who knows the melody would immediately recognize it. The problem with my 2-LP set is that the ID'ing of the pieces and the sides does not match up with the sequence I hear if I play sides 1 through 4 in order.

And, "rare wine?" "Small quantities?"
    Clearly, we do not feel the same way about Miles Davis...
    It is OK for us to differ regarding Miles or other artists. Not unusual.

Get a stopwatch out and you can time each cut if you really want to

Amazon shows the times of each cut here... > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f=mu_dm_alb_dp

Default Dead and Gone

There's no sensation quite as poignant as hearing this song come on the radio while you're rolling into Detroit after seven hours on the road negotiating all those lonely trucks. You're pretty much in an altered state of consciousness by that time anyway and then you get hit by this:

Belated thanks to oldredfordette for identifying the song last May.

lyrics

Wiki
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-01-09 at 05:20 PM.

blksoul_x Guest

I could not wait to get home and throw this our my turntable. A friend just gave me a classic double set [[mint condition) album by 'The Crusaders'. The name of the album is 'Southern Comfort',[[1974 Blue Thumb records), and contains several brilliant tracks, 'Lilies Of The Nile', 'Ballad for Joe[[Louis)', 'Whispering Pines', and more. I've been looking for this particular album for a couple of years. I got them on the tables right now; ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    I could not wait to get home and throw this our my turntable. A friend just gave me a classic double set [[mint condition) album by 'The Crusaders'. The name of the album is 'Southern Comfort',[[1974 Blue Thumb records), and contains several brilliant tracks, 'Lilies Of The Nile', 'Ballad for Joe[[Louis)', 'Whispering Pines', and more. I've been looking for this particular album for a couple of years. I got them on the tables right now; ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

blksoul_atcha!
    Excellent choice! --> Southern Comfort

Ravine Guest

Every time I think of the Crusaders I think about how, any time I start boring someone with a speech about my admiration for Wayne Shorter, the person listening always interjects, knowingly, "Oh yeah, he was with the Jazz Crusaders, right, yeah," and even after I assure them that he was not, they insist that they are quite sure that he was.
    Same thing with Joe Henderson, I suppose, and for the same reason.

Oh, yeah!
    That entire Crusaders album is, indeed, Super Stuff!
    On this we agree, b/x......

Q-Tip - "Amplified"

blksoul_x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Oh, yeah!
    That entire Crusaders album is, indeed, Super Stuff!
    On this we agree, b/x......
    Like FREEDOM, music is a UNIVERSAL element!

On the deck right now, Parlament Live, 'P.Funk Earth Tour' album[[1977). Tracks playing; Dr. Funkenstein's 'Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication' Medley, 'Dr. Funkensten', 'Do That Stuff', and 'Tear the Roof of the Sucker' medley.

blksoul_atcha!

Woof!

blksoul_x Guest

Heard this song earlier, from a passing car, while I was sitting on my front porch. I went and dug it out of my stash!

blksoul_atcha!

Don't be Tardy for the Party, ooooh ooooh...

Misc. Jah Wobble

Rit - "Rit"
    Amp Fiddler - "Afro Strut"

Default Dead and Gone

The above youtube video vanished.

A decent alternative from Spike.com: Dead and Gone.

Catch the "old me"/"homey" homonym and its meaning. Genius.

Springsteen

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast