Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 44 49 50 51 52 53 54
Results 1,326 to 1,330 of 1330

There's an interesting relationship between bells and cannons.

It's not hard to imagine why they'd be made in the same foundries of similar metal. Yet, in a sense, they have opposite roles. The former is pro-social in that it signals events to the community equally over large distances. The latter is anti-social in that it's used to destroy the lives and property of others. There's something poetic about the fact that the two are given birth at the same place. Yinyang.

From Wikipedia's Bell metal article:
    In Java, ... Bell metal is particularly prized for its excellent sonorous qualities, also found in bell metal cannons which produce a distinct, loud ring when fired....

The Spanish and Portuguese were equally astounded to find their European bronze cannon offerings to the Javanese rejected as inferior in quality, as they rightly were.

19 minutes of nostalgia.

A Place to Stand {1967}
    This video, produced by Christopher Chapman for the Ontario Department of Economics and Development, premiered at the Ontario Pavilion at Expo 67 in Montreal.

Featuring the iconic soundtrack composed by Dolores Claman, the film’s innovative editing technique earned it the 1968 Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Subject.

It includes shots of natural resource development, manufacturing, landscapes, and recreation activities in various locations across Ontario.

Ennio Morricone
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    Giù la Testa {Original Soundtrack} HQ

The Trilogy of A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good the Bad and the Ugly are recognised as three of the finest Spaghetti Westerns ever made.

With Giu’ la testa, aka “A Fistful of Dynamite”, Sergio Leone still demonstrates his unique mind and vision of the Spaghetti Western Movie. Once again, a carefully enclosed soundtrack of the most famous movie scores written by Ennio Morricone, widely considered one of the greatest film composers ever.

Packed with sticks of dynamite, Irish rebel and explosives expert John H. Mallory finds himself in Revolution-torn 1913 Mexico, on the run from the British government. Riding a dusty, V-twin Indian motorcycle, John crosses paths with short-fused Mexican bandit Juan Miranda and his gun-toting family of outlaws, and before long, his expertise in explosives becomes evident. Now, bent on putting Mallory's skills to good use, devious Juan forms an uneasy partnership with John to rob the impregnable Mesa Verde National Bank. Instead, what seemed like an unmissable opportunity to get rich becomes a trap, enmeshing the unlikely duo in the Revolution, having no other choice but to fight together with the troops of Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata against the evil Colonel Günther Reza. Can John's dynamite get them out of the tight spot?

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Didn't it rain, children

Default Telegraph Road

Lyrics: https://genius.com/Dire-straits-telegraph-road-lyrics
    My favorite part is Knopfler's 'instrumental author' beginning at 8min55sec.

I had to deal with a medical procedure yesterday. 20% of everyone who has this procedure winds up with days, sometimes weeks of pain. I was in the lucky 80%. Not knowing which way it would go was a concern. I wound up listening to Telegraph Road more than a couple of times to steel myself. I googled something about 'inspiration for Telegraph Road' and found this on Wikipedia:

The Telegraph Road is a major north-south 70-mile [[110 km) thoroughfare in Michigan, and Mark Knopfler was inspired to write the song while riding in the front of the tour bus, which made the journey down Telegraph Road. At the same time, Knopfler was reading the novel Growth of the Soil by the Nobel Prize winning Norwegian author Knut Hamsun and he was inspired to put the two together and write a song about the beginning of the development along Telegraph Road and the changes over the ensuing decades.

The song is about the first farm to the industry to the rot to the getting back to the country and starting over. I did a Google images search for Telegraph Road and it looks more prosperous and cleaned up than I remember it when I moved to the country. Fast food places have replaced much of the raunch. Bigger picture - fast food wages have replaced a lot of UAW wages. I think Mark Knopfler nailed it beat and all.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 44 49 50 51 52 53 54