Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ye Olde Butcher's Shoppe.

Has anyone an idea when the Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe will open. I drive past the building every day and there is no signs of progress in it.

yes, i've been wondering about this myself... the store itself looks like it's ready to do business, i'm wondering if they're waiting on the city for whatever licenses or permits they need to go forward...

Yeah . . . I'm beginning to wonder if this is some kind of movie set, like the pork store in The Sopranos. It has looked ready to open for months and months, yet I have never seen any activity inside. If anyone has any info please share it.

I walk by this store every day. It's by no means ready to open. Also, there hasn't been anyone over there working for weeks! There was one day a couple weeks ago where the owners were there washing windows but that's been it.

Hadn't thought about probable city permit snafu's...saw a guy working inside a couple of weeks ago and circled around the block, parked, and by the time I got to the front he had disappeared into the back area. Knocked on the windows/door but no luck. The place looks 'ready to go' ...all it needs is merchandise.

Their insurance company is fighting a claim that stemmed from sewer backup.

Quote Originally Posted by mbshan View Post
    I walk by this store every day. It's by no means ready to open. Also, there hasn't been anyone over there working for weeks! There was one day a couple weeks ago where the owners were there washing windows but that's been it.
    Have only driven by at 25 or 30 mph and at that speed it looks ready. I have never seen any activity inside tho. I want a butcher shop to which I can walk. A Woodward produce market would be even better . . .

Quote Originally Posted by menckensghost View Post
    A Woodward produce market would be even better . . .
    Have you tried Kim's Produce down the street?

They're located at 4200 Woodward Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by lo_to_d View Post
    Their insurance company is fighting a claim that stemmed from sewer backup.
    Is that the reason why the store is not open? Is it for the owner is still waiting on the okay from the city. If so, the city need to hire more inspector to go out to these small businesses to give them the green light. That would be the encouragement for more businesses to open up in the D

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post

Right across from the McDonald's with the nice drapes in the windows.

What I had heard, specifically, was indeed about a *raw* sewage backup. The person gestured about a foot of liquid on the floor. Just passing along what I heard.

BTW, Kim's Produce doesn't have any drapes in the windows, but she does have a great store and she recently got in a ton of new merchandise.

Ever wondered where "Ye" came from? Dictionary.com had an article on it just the other day.

http://hotword.dictionary.com/want-t...f27fdcfd88%2C0

Kims is great! I try to go there when I can. Great people!! Great products!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post

I have been watching it too... no activity. They best hurry up and get something going in there before the vulchers [[er-uh, I mean 'scrappers') start to circle... they can smell a building un-occupied or too long un-attended down wind a mile away!
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Has anyone an idea when the Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe will open. I drive past the building every day and there is no signs of progress in it.

Regarding scrappers, the building is stil occupied and there are people in the store just about every other day. The store is just not open for business yet.

I would also like to jump on the Kim's Produce bandwagon. Awesome sandwich wraps and cheesecake!

The wraps are amazing.

Please, everyone shop there when you can! I don't want to have to shop at U-Foods ever again! Kim's is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood, and exactly what I needed. They capture all of my grocery dollars.

well, something happened! folks have been inside working most of the weekend. now, a floor expoxy truck just pulled up!!!!!! YEA!

Today I noticed something called the State Street Market and Deli. It is on Washington next to the Book Cadillac. I am going to try to make a walk to it this week. Its kind of funny because I noticed it right after looking at the old Quizno's and wondering to myself 'with all these hotel rooms and condos here, why hasn't anyone used this space for a small market!'

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Today I noticed something called the State Street Market and Deli. It is on Washington next to the Book Cadillac. I am going to try to make a walk to it this week. Its kind of funny because I noticed it right after looking at the old Quizno's and wondering to myself 'with all these hotel rooms and condos here, why hasn't anyone used this space for a small market!'
    Unfortunately, that place is much more liquor store than it is grocery store/deli.

There will be a grocery store opening in the same building as the Washington Square Apartments [[formerly the Trolley Plaza?). They have been doing a lot of work there recently. If you're at the ground level, it'll be to the left of you.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Unfortunately, that place is much more liquor store than it is grocery store/deli.
    I've gotten gyros from there before. It is one of those places that feels more tense than it should. Selling fruits and veggies is a nice touch, though.

So the jury is out. Lets say I want to get lunch. Should I walk there or not?

bartock Guest

So the jury is out. Lets say I want to get lunch. Should I walk there or not?
    Personally, if I were coming from the courthouse up Washington Blvd, I'd make it last on my list of places to grab lunch in that area. In ascending order of price, hit the sub shop [[long ago was a Tubby's, called Motown something), the Big City Grill, which is attached to the Holiday Inn Express, or the outstanding 24Grille at B-C [[their sandwiches are not overly expensive, either).

There is also the Gateway Deli in the other direction at Fort/Washington Plaza, the Dime Building places, and the Coneys.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Personally, if I were coming from the courthouse up Washington Blvd, I'd make it last on my list of places to grab lunch in that area. In ascending order of price, hit the sub shop [[long ago was a Tubby's, called Motown something), the Big City Grill, which is attached to the Holiday Inn Express, or the outstanding 24Grille at B-C [[their sandwiches are not overly expensive, either).

There is also the Gateway Deli in the other direction at Fort/Washington Plaza, the Dime Building places, and the Coneys.
    Thanks, I trypically meet folks I went to high school with at the Big City or the Anchor once or twice a month. I may just walk through the place and check it out but be prepared not to get a worthwhile lunch out of it. If it is a party store, its one of the nicer ones I've seen, at least from the outside.

In the suburbs a small mom and pop market is really a market where groceries are purchased, in Detroit a mom and po market is really a liquor store with potatoe chips, loose cigarettes, and probably stale pizza are considered groceries by the owners and the people in the neighborhood. I had been inside the so-called market in Washinggton Blvd. No real groceries are sold there. Just another liquor store that contribute liquor tax to the states failing economy. That is probably why they are popping up all over Detroit disguising themselves as "Markets"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast