Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Hangouts Back In The Day

It would be interesting to know where the arcades, pool halls, skating rinks etc. were that catered to the youth set. Were they segregated-did fights break out etc...back in the day, as the youth today say. A Dyes poster mentioned counter culture Plum St. which would be one example.....Middle school through high school and later....were there actually Malt shops where teens plunked coins in the juke box, danced to Chuck Berry records, and sipped Coca-Cola and guzzled malts?.

Back in which day?

Looks like some day between Chuck Berry and Hippies, East Detroit.

Default Flips

Yes, Flips at Plymouth and Auburn. This was between Southfield and Evergreen. Cody kids used to hang there in the late '50's, early '60's. It was your typical soda fountain and malt shop.

My Grandparents owned the place and my Mom and aunts worked there from what I hear. Apparently used to go there and raid the candy counter, but I definitely don't remember that.

Any place else out there?

606 lounge. no malts but the shakes were shakey.

Arena Gardens Roller Skating Rink. Now known as Woodward and I-94. Mostly white, a few blacks, no problem. Arcadia Roller Rink, near the same area. Mostly black, a few whites, no problem.

Slip's Pinball, Grand River near 7 Mile somewhere. Slappy's Pinball, Fenkell east of Southfield. I may have the locations mixed up, we went to both with our crumbsnatcher. There were lots of kids and families in both places.

Winter Wonderland ice rink [[Schoolcraft/Evergreen, I think) was my hangout 1960-68 middle/high school) In midle school we used to skate there on Saturdays [[during the day), high school we used to skate there Friday nights.

Quickie Donuts on the south side of Capitol Park, where a couple of generations of Cass Tech students hung out waiting to transfer buses on their trip home. Integrated, no problem, except for the harried and chronically untipped Quickie waitresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Arena Gardens Roller Skating Rink. Now known as Woodward and I-94. Mostly white, a few blacks, no problem. Arcadia Roller Rink, near the same area. Mostly black, a few whites, no problem.
    You apparently don't know this but Arena Gardens was a HUGE boxing venue in the 1930's as well as a place for the old dance marathons like in the movie They Shoot Horses Don't They?

Sometimes you guys crack me up. Therefore, I 'll throw a bone out there:

"The Flipper In"

Plymouth and Outer Drive.

Now it's a chop-shoppe. Has been for years and years.

Far as The Winterland... yep.... that place was sweet.

BTW, all this chatter is pre-Livonia days. :-)

Motor City Roller Rink was a converted theatre at 9 and Van Dyke. Met my wife there!!!!!!! Think they tore it down sometime in the '80's.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Winter Wonderland ice rink [[Schoolcraft/Evergreen, I think) was my hangout 1960-68 middle/high school) In midle school we used to skate there on Saturdays [[during the day), high school we used to skate there Friday nights.
    Wasn't this E of Southfield? Maybe I am thinking of another place.

How about Boblo?

back in my day... Eliza Howell Park

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Sometimes you guys crack me up. Therefore, I 'll throw a bone out there:

"The Flipper In"

Plymouth and Outer Drive.
    Maybe there were two Flipper Inns. I went to the one on Fenkell in Brightmoor, it wasn't too far from Lahser. Hung out there from 1973-76 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Wasn't this E of Southfield? Maybe I am thinking of another place.
    Yeah, Winter Wonderland was east of Southfield, by Grandmont or one of those streets right in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    back in my day... Eliza Howell Park
    Yeah, Elizah Howell was a big hangout for us in the late 70s/early 80s. Similar to Hines, but on a smaller scale. And you only had to deal with Detroit cops instead of County Sheriffs! Rosedale Park was another big hangout in the 70s [[the park itself). I remember hearing stories about it in the early 70s, kind of like a mini-Cass Benton. I started hanging out there in 75 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    ... Rosedale Park was another big hangout in the 70s [[the park itself). I remember hearing stories about it in the early 70s, kind of like a mini-Cass Benton. I started hanging out there in 75 or so.
    Rosedale Park "park" [[ north Rosedale-north of Gr River), or Stoepel Park?

Bill Holleman owned the Arcadia Roller Rink and later the Northland Rink on W. 8 Mile...he was the last staff organist at the Fox Theatre and bought the Wurlitzer organ from the Broadway Capital [[now Detroit Opera House) and installed it in the Arcadia. He did not move the organ to the Northalnd, and I believe it is now installed in the Oakland Paramount Theatre in California.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Rosedale Park "park" [[ north Rosedale-north of Gr River), or Stoepel Park?
    Rosedale Park. Never did hang out much at Stoepel, though a lot of St Marys people did.

Default Hines Park

While technically not in Detroit, our place during spring/summer/fall months was Hines Drive and Hines Park in the late '70's.

Anyone else?

Big Boys-9 & Jeff. Drew crowds from the far eastern suburbs and eastside of Detroit.
    Stayed a drive-in a long time.

There was a pool hall on Connors, just a few blocks off w/n of Harper. Can't remember the name of the place, but I hung there a lot in the late 1960's.
    Funny...a couple decades later, I find out my g-g-grandparents farmhouse damn near sat where the poolhall did.

At Michigan Ave. and Junction there was a place called "Jets". In the 1950's, when our Mothers brother, Uncle Mickey looked after my older brother and me, he would have to"take us with him, or not go", as my Grandma told him, so off we went. He would sit us in the corner with pop and chips, and hang out with his buddies and ogle all the neighborhood girls that came in. The guys used to drive older model cars, that were shown off out front. They were customized, pinstriped and CLEAN. We loved the cars, but were bored senseless by the attempted hook -ups with the girls. We were 5 and 7. That place was a real hot spot. Later we learned that my Dad actually met our Mom there, when they both went to Chadsey high, and it was even hot then.

Balduck - mid to late 70's

...and Belle Isle too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast