Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help identify this building?

I have searched all over for the location and history of this building. I believe it says "Saint Apostolic Cathedral", but I cannot find anything! Please help me...thanks team

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/detroit...oneHotel1.html

Challenge accepted. This non-Detroiter will see how far he will come. First of all, I needed to identify the picture that is not visible anymore. But I have my way with internet sites and I managed to find the pic and here it is.

On the side of the building there's a message that says "Future home of North End Youth Adopt-a-Child. Bennett Park Peacemakers."

Bennett Park was the home of the Detroit Tigers before they buid Tiger Stadium on the same site, with the field rotated 90 degrees. This was the stadium in which a young Ty Cobb made his mark.

Hardly readable, but there's a street sign on the far right. Bethune street East, the other sign is not readable. It's in any case a long way from Bennett Park, which would be the old location for this organisation, I guess.

So my guess is that this building would be standing, or stood, right about this location.

I think this is a healthy start for someone to pick up the hunt for the location of this building, which no doubt doesn't excist no more...

Edit:

I think I found the location. Bethune and Brush.

Compare to this.

It's still a one-way street in that direction. The base of that utility box, the electricity pole and the traffic lights near the sidewalk is a good identification mark.

It's 4AM over here and I made it. Found the location!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-07-10 at 09:48 PM.

wow....lol

I can't say what the building was, but the park at the intersection of Brush and Bethune is called Delores Bennett Park. Clearly the building and the park have a connection. It is also clear that the building has been torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I can't say what the building was, but the park at the intersection of Brush and Bethune is called Delores Bennett Park. Clearly the building and the park have a connection. It is also clear that the building has been torn down.

Whitehouse, Thank you so much!

Without consulting the wayback machine, I recall this building's inclusion in one of Lowell's old webisodes, and a funny comment about the harmonious Greek revival portico. Cannot have been gone all that long.

It was built as an Odd Fellows hall back in 1903 [[I.O.O.F. American Eagle Lodge 441). Detroit Blogger John, still in his urban exploring phase, posted about the place back in 2004.

http://www.detroitblog.org/?m=200409

Ah-hah! Now you see it, now you don't. Another brown-field! Yippeee! I wonder when it was torn down...?
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-10 at 08:47 AM.

DetroitBob...here's your answer

I used to admire the building while driving up Brush. A ton of bricks fell off the side of it around 2005 or so, and then it was brought down. It was perhaps the most imposing building along that stretch of road and I miss it today.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    DetroitBob...here's your answer
    I think Whitehouse got that a while ago

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think Whitehouse got that a while ago
    Correction: that was Eastside Al.

But there seems to be a post that got deleted. Probably my bad... anyhoo:

That building would have been listed in this day and age. It turns out to be one of the most important buildings in the history of the United Autoworkers Union. For in this building the Local 140 was founded, and that is presently the oldest still excisting local in the UAW. Here's a bit of history of the UAW Local 140.

On a personal note; I didn't know what a local was. I knew it had to do something with unions. We have unions here in the Netherlands also of course but due to the small country we live in there are no local unions like in the US. Distances are not that great. Now I know the local unions are more or less working under the umbrella of the bigger brother. There are however secular and unions on Christian principles.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-08-10 at 05:20 PM.

Whitehouse, what wasn't obvious to you was the fact that the park across the street was the Bennett Park that the sign on the building mentioned. Your reference to the Bennett Park that would later become Tiger Stadium was not necessary because had you simply panned over the Google map of the intersection where the building once stood and zoomed in on the park sign in the park across from the building, you would have known at that point that the Bennett Park from the sign on the building was indeed this park. Therefore, it's clear to me that I didn't state the obvious because you didn't know about the park and I did.