Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default St. Albertus written up by MT - nice!

A nice article about volunteer efforts to maintain the church, rectory and grounds at St. Albertus. I have volunteered there for about five years now, the church and rectory are showing definite signs of improvement. The abandoned housing across the street on St. Aubin is being rehabbed, which will make the area look less abandoned.

http://www.metrotimes.com/culture/story.asp?id=15424

The entire effort is being done by volunteers, the church is no longer an active parish and receives no funding from the archdiocese. Their funding comes from donations from average people.

thanks for posting this. i think st. abertus IS the most beautiful church in the city and it was heartbreaking when theives started stripping off the roof recently. Hats off to you and all the volunteers that work together to keep this gem of a church going - DZIEKUJE!!

St. Albertus normally has a web site, www.stalbertus.org. But it's not accessible right now. They usually keep it updated and have an events calendar.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    St. Albertus normally has a web site, www.stalbertus.org. But it's not accessible right now. They usually keep it updated and have an events calendar.
    But don't let the internet archive stop you!

Old thread about the early Polish communities in Detroit,

The St. Albertus tour on Detroityes. [[Time for an update?)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-07-10 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Thank you Eastsider for the new web site. Nice photo on the home page.

A few weeks ago I was heading up St Aubin after a stop at EM and making my way to Hamtramck. I stopped at St Albertus and talked to a woman who was raking leaves Saturday morning. Unfortunately I forget her name but she had blondish hair and spoke with a very slight Polish accent. We spoke about our Polish roots in that area and the mass schedule. I did attend the mass this past Sunday. Beautiful church, but as the first line in the article stated it was very hard to hear.

Kryptonite, I talked to this woman about volunteering, maybe on a monthly basis. Who would I contact about this?
    If you need any help next Saturday morning I could be there.

RJK, I send you a message, look under User CP, Private messages.

They have an online email contact link on the St. Albertus web page: http://stalbertusdetroit.org/contact_us

Also, they have a Facebook link according to their web page.

Volunteering usually involves outside work, but they have at least an annual cleaning of the church inside and depending on one's skills there are painting projects, carpentry, brick work, etc. They are a hard working group and do a lot without a large budget.

Thanks, I just shot them off an email.