Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New website, what do you think?

http://metropioneer.com

It is new and needs some work, but the concept is laid out for all to see.

lilpup Guest

My security program flagged the above website as suspicious.

WELL, thats not good. Im happy here anyway

DetroitDad Guest

Default Ghost Ships In The Straits Of Detroit

My security is pretty good, and mine was fine.

Honestly, you may not get many visitors, for various reasons, but the biggest is that while I applaud you for doing something positive of which you yourself enjoy, you aren't meeting any need that isn't already being met.

Also, what groups and people are you guys already helping out? My own biggest mistake I made on here was coming on here all gung-ho, thinking I was going to change and fix everything, most people will now never give me another chance or let me forget that, whether I deserve it or not. Detroit and the Internet is full of people who want to lead, but lacks people who are ready to lead, and few who want to follow. You have to follow and then change things after you learn them. You must have friends and followers before you can try to lead.

Most importantly, I have met with horrible and horrific failure in the role of a leader, and it cost people a lot. Being a leader in this city is a huge responsibility. To be a leader is to be a captain of a great ship on a perilous journey, of which the slightest mishap and miscalculation can lead to the sinking of the entire ship. I myself will never again be a captain before I spend years among the crew, and not unless I alone am prepared to go down with the ship.

Enough of the most cold and bitter Detroiters on this forum are former crew or occasionally captains who somehow survived the sinking of ships.

I actually like the website. I work in IT consulting and I can say I would suggest changing the front page to provide less information. It took a while for me to get to what the purpose of the site was. That could probably come out in just a few sentences.

A lot of what DetroitDad said makes sense. Are you working to build a crew for this effort or what?

I am mainly interested in figuring out how to use alternative energy ideas and apply them to a house in the city. Sort of experimenting in how to live in an ecofriendly way but still be comfortable.

I tried to buy a scrapped out tax sale house last month in GR but was out bid. I had a plan to make the home an off grid shelter, and was ready to try the ideas out. But for now, I decided to put the ideas on a website and see if anyone else is interested in low cost living in the city, and experimenting with alternative energy on homes in the city.

A lot of the site came from thinking about how to turn a house with the copper scrapped out of it into a livable house, without going through the cost of rewiring and plumbing it.

I have some basic information on the cities and why one would want to live there. That is not the main focus of the site but it is important so people understand what the goal of the site is. I have put the site together in about 2 weeks and still need to refine it.

I really like the site. I personally would also add ModelD to your list of websites to give visitors an impression of Detroit, maybe also Digdowntown.com or downtowndetroit.com?

Really good website though!

Thanks for the comments. I will try to work them in over time. I'm not looking to recruit a Krewe, I am looking for other mad scientists to talk about results from the laboratory. I would prefer to remain somewhat anonymous since some of what I am doing *might* be illegal.

Any other leads on websites for happenings in the D would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by skyl4rk; October-07-10 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    My security is pretty good, and mine was fine.

Honestly, you may not get many visitors, for various reasons, but the biggest is that while I applaud you for doing something positive of which you yourself enjoy, you aren't meeting any need that isn't already being met.

Also, what groups and people are you guys already helping out? My own biggest mistake I made on here was coming on here all gung-ho, thinking I was going to change and fix everything, most people will now never give me another chance or let me forget that, whether I deserve it or not. Detroit and the Internet is full of people who want to lead, but lacks people who are ready to lead, and few who want to follow. You have to follow and then change things after you learn them. You must have friends and followers before you can try to lead.

Most importantly, I have met with horrible and horrific failure in the role of a leader, and it cost people a lot. Being a leader in this city is a huge responsibility. To be a leader is to be a captain of a great ship on a perilous journey, of which the slightest mishap and miscalculation can lead to the sinking of the entire ship. I myself will never again be a captain before I spend years among the crew, and not unless I alone am prepared to go down with the ship.

Enough of the most cold and bitter Detroiters on this forum are former crew or occasionally captains who somehow survived the sinking of ships.

Words of great wisdom about leadership DetroitDad.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    http://metropioneer.com

It is new and needs some work, but the concept is laid out for all to see.
    I just had a quick look. I think promoting this type of thinking is really valuable. This type of organization and skills may be what is necessary for survival and recovery in the coming decades. Here is something really interesting I came across today.

http://www.baltimorechronicle.com/20...0Lendman.shtml

If what this article says has any truth to it, the current state that Detroit is in may be the model for what the corporate thieves are planning for the rest of the country and indeed the world. South America has already gone through this and is attempting to recover from the right-wing agenda globalization disaster.

Well said Detroitdad. I am happy you have found your way[[!).