Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Construction across frow Old Main

Is anyone familar with the construction taking place across from Old Main. Is this part of Wayne State's master plan for the Woodward and Warren site. I heard that is was going to have market rate condos with retail space on street level. Can anyone confirm this and have you seen renderings of this project ?

They've been salivating over that block for years now. Whatever they do, hope they leave Marwil's alone. They've done everything they could to drive them out of business, it seems.

I think everything from the Subway down to Cass is being left alone. I was saddened to see the psychology building go but hopefully something nicer will be put in it's place.

It is going to be a 5 story apartment building with retail on the first floor. It was announced over a year ago. I was surprised to see construction start immediately after the demolition of those small one story buildings on Cass. This is a stark contrast to what Wayne State does, which is tear things down without anything to replace it [[see Woodward/Warren demolitions or the Forest Tower apartments for an example).

DetroitPole Guest

I was really pissed to see they tore down the psychology building. If not the most architecturally significant building, it was a handsome one, with some nice details. Sure looks a hell of a lot better than that green glass monstrosity that is the Unwelcome Center across the street, which is largely unused square footage. Bastards. Hope the alumni fund doesn't ever come calling me.

Hmmmm....anyone have any renderings?

I don't think they've actually began construction.

The only work I saw after then demolition was cinderblock added to the wall that used to butt up against the christian science reading room.

I walk past that lot everyday on my way to classes. I will be sure to take pictures when they start construction.

I heard that the Subway store on that block isn't going anywhere soon. The guy still has time on his lease, and he isn't going to leave any sooner that he has to. So it will be a while, maybe a year or longer before that building is vacated and can be torn down.

I drove by Old main this Saturday and two WSU buildings on Warren west of woodward are now dirt lots. They already leveled the old police station for the campus. Is this where the condo's will go?

http://www.unionmidtown.com/

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=186134

By the way, the Simons Building is still there and is used by the Psychology Department at WSU. [[red brick w/ white &tiled trim)

DetroitPole, are you referring to the two older building that were facing Warren? Yes, they were both good looking buildings. The westernmost one had a nice slate roof and a brickwork style that I"ve seen repeated in other newer WSU buildings.

Kathleen- I heard similar about Subway. But I heard he has about 6 months on the lease left, then it's coming down.