Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Greektown hotel on fire?

Metro Times just tweeted it. What's happening?

I can't access facebook, can someone post the picture directly into the forum?

Metro Times Detroit OK guys it's not that bad - we just got word it's a car fire on one of the parking decks. Should be taken care of soon...thankfully it's nothing worse!43 minutes ago

Just a car fire in the parking deck.

I was right across the street for a meeting when it happened. Sure was alot of smoke for one car being on fire, but there was definitely a burning rubber smell.

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Metro Times just tweeted it. What's happening?

This is a textbook example of the dangers of journalism meeting this up-to-the-minute tweeting technology. The Metro Times, which sometimes functions as a legitimate media outlet [[in between their ads for transvestites with "12-inch surprises") tweeted something that's totally false: "The hotel is on fire."

In journalism, if you don't have it solid, don't print it. That should apply to tweeting as well.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I was right across the street for a meeting when it happened. Sure was alot of smoke for one car being on fire, but there was definitely a burning rubber smell.
    Car fires-burning oil, plastics, paint, rubber, et al-are easily among the worst for thick, black smoke and lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    This is a textbook example of the dangers of journalism meeting this up-to-the-minute tweeting technology. The Metro Times, which sometimes functions as a legitimate media outlet [[in between their ads for transvestites with "12-inch surprises") tweeted something that's totally false: "The hotel is on fire."

In journalism, if you don't have it solid, don't print it. That should apply to tweeting as well.
    I agree. I'm surprised that the Metro Times should even tweet. It's one thing if an individual reporter tweets but for a "legitimate news source" to do so just hurts their credibility. Real news sources should have checks and balances to make sure things are factual.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I agree. I'm surprised that the Metro Times should even tweet. It's one thing if an individual reporter tweets but for a "legitimate news source" to do so just hurts their credibility. Real news sources should have checks and balances to make sure things are factual.
    Detroit News and Detroit Free Press Tweet.

Although, I sort of agree, that picture they posted is clearly taken from in front of their headquarters. They should allow their employees to Tweet, but their official Tweet should be more professional.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; October-06-10 at 11:11 PM.

Birds tweet, not people.

Rumor volat.