Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is your rifle clean enough?

Bit of an odd scene here.

Is this the tomb of the unknown soldier?

Video: Overdrijven is ook een vak blijkbaar.

Why overdrijven and not uberdrijven? Ook? I love Dutch. It's such a wacky-looking language.

It means "Exaggeration is a profession, apparently" - which I resent. Yes it is at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and I think that is one of the most fluid and beautiful military ceremonies on earth. Truly a stunning example of coordination and timing, and it's something to be proud of and a poignant and powerful tribute to the people who made freedom possible for everyone in the Western world.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    It means "Exaggeration is a profession, apparently" - which I resent. Yes it is at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and I think that is one of the most fluid and beautiful military ceremonies on earth. Truly a stunning example of coordination and timing, and it's something to be proud of and a poignant and powerful tribute to the people who made freedom possible for everyone in the Western world.
    I could not agree more.....I have see this in person and I was in Awe.....it was amazing!!! As a vet, I can appreciate it even more than most Americans and it gives me the chills seeing it again.
    Thank you Whitehouse for the post!!!

..... I dunno.... the way the one guy was being checked out.... looks almost like a "don't ask, don't tell" moment.....

Not to make light of the situation.... having been to Omaha Beach in Normandy and to Verdun.... none of this ceremony or pomp/precision prepares you for the reality of the real combat locations. I've seen burly grown men brought to tears at the sight of the field of white crosses and stars overlooking calm beaches of Normandy.... and at Verdun there is a vast underground bunker with the bones of 300,000 soldiers... where the heirs of Voltaire and Goethe have bled each other white in the senselessness of WWI.

I came across this [[true account) showing scenes from the movie Joyeaux Noel [[to music) of the Christmas truce of 1915. It shows the absolute lunacy of most [[but not all) wars...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8SN-Eci3U
    Last edited by Gistok; October-06-10 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    I could not agree more.....I have see this in person and I was in Awe.....it was amazing!!! As a vet, I can appreciate it even more than most Americans and it gives me the chills seeing it again.
    Thank you Whitehouse for the post!!!
    And thank you, sir for your service to the country.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    Indeed that's the literal translation but it's more or less a saying. It has noting to do with a "profession" as such. It's means something like "you can always make something more important than it really is" in this case checking the cleanliness of an object. It doesn't disrespect the ceremony in itself. I know this operation must be some important protocol but in our eyes he really exaggerates it.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-07-10 at 07:02 PM.

What's with the neck exercises? Looking to the left, the right, down towards his chest...

the pure professionalism of our brave men and women is on display at nations cemetery...how fitting is the attention to detail since these men and women gave up so much for our lives... it is a monument in action....

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    the pure professionalism of our brave men and women is on display at nations cemetery...how fitting is the attention to detail since these men and women gave up so much for our lives... it is a monument in action....
    Arlington has had major issues rhe past few years with incorrect burial plots as well as bad management.