Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Penobscot lights

So... the Penobscot building was finally re-lit last week, with green and white lights atop the building.

well...that lasted about 5 days, and the building has been dark the past two nights.

Anyone know what is going on? Or why green was added to the traditional white lighting? I hope its back on - changes the downtown skyline view at night a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    . . . well...that lasted about 5 days, and the building has been dark the past two nights.
    Anyone know what is going on?
    They got the electric bill

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    So... the Penobscot building was finally re-lit last week, with green and white lights atop the building.

well...that lasted about 5 days, and the building has been dark the past two nights.

Anyone know what is going on? Or why green was added to the traditional white lighting? I hope its back on - changes the downtown skyline view at night a lot.
    Prank by Spartan fans.

Maybe they were testing new Christmas lights? They usually just add the white lights to the tower to make it look like a tree.

Maybe Kwame's plan to "light up downtown" got the plug pulled?
    Rember that???

The Penobscot lights were to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Strategic Staffing Solutions, whose headquarters are in the Penobscot.

S3 held various 20th anniversary events last week.

Emerald green and white are the S3 colors. There are also some S3 banners downtown.

Sorry Spartan fans. And I'm one of them.

Ah, thanks - knew there mustve been a reason.

I sure wish they'd keep the lights on like they used to. Look so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Rember that???
    KK's plan followed Illitch's plan by about 25 years. Did either one accomplish anything?

DetroitDad Guest

Kwame had a plan!?

Well.... if so..... it wasn't a very good one.

It's been close to a month since the red blinking light atop the Penobscot has been off. I recall that there was a night when we encountered some crazy thunder storm and lightning struck close by, as I recall a white bright flash in the area of the building. Could lightning be the cause of this?

Last night the green lights were on. I didn't notice the blinking ball though.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Rember that???
    And.....long before KK's plan, there was Mike Illitch's plan in conjunction with CBD or some such group. That's two plans that were never realized, at least not fully. Anymore input from ohers who've been around even longer?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    KK's plan followed Illitch's plan by about 25 years. Did either one accomplish anything?
    I just realized I'm posting on an old thread. Excuuuuuuse me for ranting and raving about the same topic again. It's what I do you know.

There's a shot of the Penobscot in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8JV9lPeUg
    Although it's not in color, it is a night shot with the lights on.

Nice video... cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    There's a shot of the Penobscot in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8JV9lPeUg
    Although it's not in color, it is a night shot with the lights on.

What happened to the red ball at the top? I was at the Tigers game Monday and Wednesday and noticed the red ball on top of the Penobscot Building was absent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    What happened to the red ball at the top? I was at the Tigers game Monday and Wednesday and noticed the red ball on top of the Penobscot Building was absent.
    It seems like this would be a violation of FAA regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    It seems like this would be a violation of FAA regulations?
    I'm not sure, it's 664 feet so it could be I guess.

I miss the red ball! I noticed it was gone a couple of weeks ago. It used to make the Penobscot look like a giaint cupcake with a cherry on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    As I posted earlier, I think that it was struck by lightning. Big T-storm a month or so ago and I think that was the last time I saw it on....but not sure if lightning would do that.