Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the godawful smell in midtown today?

When I got out of my car this morning I almost barfed. It smells very strongly like really stinky cheese near the DMC. ANyone know what the hell is causing this? I can actually smell it inside my building now.

EastSider Guest

If it stinks in midtown, it's gotta be the incinerator.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    When I got out of my car this morning I almost barfed. It smells very strongly like really stinky cheese near the DMC. ANyone know what the hell is causing this? I can actually smell it inside my building now.

Yeah Midtown in notorious for stinking, I honestly got used to it while I was living there.

Nah, it's not the incinerator. It's the trash waiting to be burned. Very funky today. Wind blowing the other way. This is how life is on the near east side, midtowners!

I've been working in midtown for four years and have never experienced this before. If it's really like this on the near east side on a regular basis, I pity you, Detroitnerd!

what is the cost-effectiveness of using the incinerator vs. shutting it down for an alternative? are landfills the answer? would that be more damaging to the soil?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Nah, it's not the incinerator. It's the trash waiting to be burned. Very funky today. Wind blowing the other way. This is how life is on the near east side, midtowners!
    It has been like this for the past couple of weekends... it is like rotten cheese... if there is such a thing.

Just drove by there, it's definitely at level 11.

It could be a stream of air flowing from SW. Drive near Fort St and the Rouge River for non stop stank

CC: Trust me. It's the cheese factory, not Southwest. I know my hydrocarbons from my rotting food, diaper and sanitary napkin odors. 8P

It's that McDonald's on Woodward.

Not sure it's the same smell... but in hot muggy weather months anyone driving down I-94 between Chene Ave. and I-75 interchange gets a bad whiff of incinerator stink.... sometimes bad enough to gag a maggot....

Again, it's not the incinerator that stinks. The odorless poisons it sprays into the air cannot be detected with the olfactory sense. You are smelling the tons of garbage in an airplane-hangar-sized shelter that are rotting while waiting to be burned.

Again, it's not the incinerator that stinks. The odorless poisons it sprays into the air cannot be detected with the olfactory sense. You are smelling the tons of garbage in an airplane-hangar-sized shelter that are rotting while waiting to be burned.
    Of course not [[hey, I thought your head exploded?).... I didn't mention that it came out of the smoke stack as you inferred.... but the INCINERATOR SITE.... where the garbage is waiting to be burned.

Otherwise the smell would be around year round... and not just the hot summer months with the garbage rotting in the heat...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Of course not [[hey, I thought your head exploded?).... I didn't mention that it came out of the smoke stack as you inferred.... but the INCINERATOR SITE.... where the garbage is waiting to be burned.

Otherwise the smell would be around year round... and not just the hot summer months with the garbage rotting in the heat...
    Head is gone, but fingers can still type.

Sorry. I get most of my exercise by jumping to conclusions.

DC48080 Guest

Don't all of you folks know; Monday is the day they burn the dirty diapers at the incinerator. They had an especially big load [[no pun intended) to handle today. Just wait until Wednesday, that is the day they burn the White Castle wrappers. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    ...that is the day they burn the White Castle wrappers. LOL
    This made me laugh!

Sometimes the smoke from the incinderator stinks. It smells like wet onions to me. It's a hard to describe smell, I can't even tell you why it smells like wet onions. Maybe the odorless stuff will kill you, the rest will just make you barf.

EastSider Guest

Any other hairs you'd like to split?

Likely unrelated, but from today's Detroit News: Southwest residents upset with foul smell.
    Arnette Ford said the odor smells like "raw eggs" and causes her and her to husband to feel ill.
    If by "raw eggs" she means "rotten eggs," it's likely hydrogen sulfide, a poisonous gas in quantity.

At any rate, you're not alone. Life stinks. Persevere valiantly. This too shall pass. Gas.

Well with all the other fiscal diversions, 'hidden cutbacks', shannaghans and corruption in other parts of city government perhaps some stink [[pardon the pun) is going on at the incinerator. This would certainly not be shocking!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-10 at 10:32 PM.

The smell becomes an issue when Midtown hipsters are affected.

Wonder if they know that 3/1M death rate is a-ok for the stuff you can't smell?

LOL! I live near there and indeed it 'stanks' sometimes, but I don't think I qualify as a 'hipster'. I was born and raised not too far from that area [[zip code 48208)... though I did have my bohemian times back in the 80's... I guess that qualifies me a bit......! On the serious note the bad stuff we are breathing is really scary... including the stuff you cannot detect a 'smell' from....
    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    The smell becomes an issue when Midtown hipsters are affected.

Wonder if they know that 3/1M death rate is a-ok for the stuff you can't smell?

I've lived in Midtown the past 5 years and I don't find it to be a stinky place... it has it's days, but those days don't put it in the "smelly place to live" category...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast