Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Benefits from 'Perfection'?! None.

This should be required reading if you wish to be a mere human being on this planet during these times.

http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/diseas...on.html?ref=nf

I concur with everything this man says. Perfection is a disease.

I hope this lands as well with y'all as it does with me.

Cheers,
    John

That's a great article. Not many folks are willing to go within and get real. They are afraid of what's really inside, and until it's realized that going inside is a requirement for peace and joy people will continue to suffer.

Perfection [[image) consumes this country. Seems to be the way of the world yet What better example could there be of the ego's maxim, "Seek, and do NOT find?"

Seek not outside yourself. For it will fail, and you will weep each time an idol falls. Heaven cannot be found where it is not, and there can be no peace excepting there. -ACIM

All idols of this world were made to keep the truth within from being known to you, and to maintain allegiance to the dream that you must find what is outside yourself to be complete and happy. -ACIM

Default Perfection is a myth...

...and a value judgment. We're all fellow travelers on the road through life and no one's keeping score. Be kind to your self and helpful to your fellow travelers since we're all trying to do the best we can.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This should be required reading if you wish to be a mere human being on this planet during these times.

http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/diseas...on.html?ref=nf

I concur with everything this man says. Perfection is a disease.

I hope this lands as well with y'all as it does with me.

Cheers,
    John
    I don't know what the hell "mere human being" is supposed to mean, so I figure I won't worry about it, or the book.

"Merely Human" would be in comparison to that which apparently set this 'experiment' in motion...the Creator [[or whatever it ends up being, I no longer assume I have any clue what is beyond other than the severe notion that there must be more). Nothing 'mere' about that One, whatever name you may wish to call It...or form you imagine It to be.

Mere Humans have a place within this Time Being, although we are but slight hints of It...at our very best. Doesn't seem to stop those who want to be 'God' themselves, by any means necessary.

Laudable goal, indeed. Must be some reason why it is such a basic part of our psyches. Perhaps this is where this misunderstood or misapplied quest for perfection stems. An ego is a terrible thing to waste.

Seems we, each and all, have a drawing towards something more or better, but end up forging a bastardized distraction from it instead. When that is then used as a weapon against happiness, joy, peace, and love...it gets my mystical ire.

So I choose to turn up the volume on MY amplifier and magnifier, and try to allow only Love through it all. I feel quite strongly this is one of our core purposes on this Earth...we can increase whatever we choose to focus upon.

Shame so many are fascinated by the negatives. They know not what they feed with that energy.

I guess a third option is to basically ignore it all, but I cannot fathom the shallowness of such a life. Banality at its bestest.

Cheers, instead.

Thanks for that, Jimaz. Never heard that term before, although I am quite sure I engage in 'em regularly.

Heck, the above might even be such.

Conundrums abide. To me, they are the spice of life...this moment and every.

Cheers

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The story was fine, but I don't see a koan in it.

You're most welcome, John.

What led me to think of Zen was the memory of a [[no doubt disputed) account of Zen's origin as a reaction against perfection.

As the story went, a preceding dynasty was obsessed with perfection. It produced some stunningly flawless examples of art [[textiles, ceramics, etc.) that really were beautiful but all shared that same boring attribute of perfection. Then Zen came along and "shook the tree."

I wish I could remember where I read that. It might have been in Zen and the Beat way, by Alan Watts but that story is not at that link and my copy of the book isn't nearby.