Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods-CNN [[Surprise--Detroit didn't make list)

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/1...borhoods-2010/

Very interesting....Atlanta has 4 neighborhoods in top 25. Chicago is #1.

I'm surprised that Las Vegas had three of the top eight worst neighborhoods. Also, Galveston? I have never felt unsafe in any part of Galveston.

Maybe the hoods in Detroit have so emptied out that there isn't a sufficient density of potential victims to make the list.

the site they used to compare Detroit to the rest of the nation listed the safest neighborhood in Detroit: Belle Isle

Detroit is not hip anymore? Lost some streetcred?

Reading the comments to that article make me want to vomit... it's even worse than comments on the Freep.

bartock Guest

St louis has no neighborhoods on that list. This just tells me that Detroit is more uniformly dangerous than these other places.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    St louis has no neighborhoods on that list. This just tells me that Detroit is more uniformly dangerous than these other places.
    Please explain.

DetroitPole Guest

The profound comments on that board all come from good, conservative, Obama and Dem haters. It's a good window into what they're really thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    St. Louis' dangerous neighborhoods are mostly on the North Side, and a lot of the North Side is not very dense, so that might be why none of them were on there.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Please explain.
    Well, you can look up FBI and Forbes, etc for violent crime rates. Heck, even Wikipedia has a nice chart based on FBI statistics. St. Louis and Detroit are usually one and two, as they were in 2009. Detroit was roughly 20 per thousand, whereas Cincy was at 12. Vegas was near 10, and so forth. So, while 5etroit may not have a neighborhood in the top 25, it has less crime hotspots and more even spread of violent crimes. My opinion, anyway, based on the above and the daily eye test. I'm not going to spend the day trying to prove it to you, free flow of ideas here.

gdogslim Guest

Default 25 most dangerous hoods detroit no.23

Obama sure brought a lot of hope and change to his district in chicago
    According to walletpop.com Detroit was no. 23 on the list. I94-Gratiot - then Near the Incinerator [[coincindence?).
    Neighborhood: Mount Elliott St./Palmer Ave.
    Found Within ZIP Code[[s): 48211, 48207
    Predicted Annual Violent Crimes: 153
    Violent Crime Rate [[per 1,000): 109.29
    My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here [[in one year): 1 in 9.
    Go into a lotto liquor pizza store and you have a 10% chance of being a victim.
    Cincinnatti - in one hood you have a 25% chance of being hit. wow.

I still don't see the moving vans pouring into the city. Still seems to be a one-way flow out of town.

...why is joann watson so intent on 'repopulating' the city when there are so many other quality of life issues to consider for those still here..

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Obama sure brought a lot of hope and change to his district in chicago
    According to walletpop.com Detroit was no. 23 on the list. I94-Gratiot - then Near the Incinerator [[coincindence?).
    Neighborhood: Mount Elliott St./Palmer Ave.
    Found Within ZIP Code[[s): 48211, 48207
    Predicted Annual Violent Crimes: 153
    Violent Crime Rate [[per 1,000): 109.29
    My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here [[in one year): 1 in 9.
    Go into a lotto liquor pizza store and you have a 10% chance of being a victim.
    Cincinnatti - in one hood you have a 25% chance of being hit. wow.
    Good thing I've only stopped and Chene-Ferry 8 times to buy beer, one more time and I would've been in trouble.

LOL, I guess I'm teflon then.

Spent way too much time at that place with Django. They've got some of the best food in the ghetto. [[no kidding)

Then, while in Atlanta for a conference a few weeks back, I drove though two of those bad neighborhoods every day for a week. Now I know why they gave me such a look walking into that Waffle House Friday morning...I overheard an argument at the bus stop not ten feet from the front of my car, with the tag line being something like, "you should've just shot him dead".

I never hear that sort of stuff in Detroit, it is only "Gotta Quarter?"

I hope I never lose this veneer...

Every last block of Detroit is dangerous. I went through it. I dodge some bullets. I have been chased by rottweilers, pit bulls, German sheppards but I beat them all down.

I don't think density was factored into this because I work in the DC neighborhood listed at No. 9 and it is not heavily populated.

More importantly, this study appears to be out of date.

The neighborhood where I work - called Navy Yard - USED to have a very dangerous housing project. The buildings, however, were torn down about five years ago and replaced with townhouses that now go for $600-700K. Additionally, the neighborhood USED to have quite a few clubs and strip clubs, mechanic shops, and was a very unattractive and somewhat industrial area. In the past five years or so, however, they leveled most of the neighborhood and built the new DOT Headquarters; Nationals Park; three or four high-rise, high-end condo/apartment complexes; the aforementioned townhouses; a Courtyard Hotel; a Marine Corp housing complex; and several office buildings.

Here's an example of why I question the study. Basically about 10-20 row houses and maybe a few small apartment buildings are all that remains of the housing from the old neighborhood. The study, however, says 71.22% of the housing was built between 1940-1969. Maybe five years ago, but now, absolute bollocks!

I'm guessing they used old data, as I have no doubt that Navy Yard USED to be among DC's most dangerous neighborhoods when it had the projects and strip clubs. According to the DC Councilman for the area, however, the neighborhood hasn't had a murder since 2005. Maybe they also factored the relatively small current population in their formula and that skewed those old numbers way up. [[If you care to look, a local blogger has an amazingly detailed website - www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm - about the neighborhood and the ongoing development and has already pounced on the study and provided links of the local media doing the same.)

Anyway, as with those ridiculous Forbes studies, I'll take this one with a grain of salt. Accurate or not, however, I am glad Detroit didn't make the list.
    Last edited by dbc; October-05-10 at 11:12 PM.

Dang, I guess I ride through the #1 most dangerous hood in Chicago all the time. It's certainly what you would NOT expect. Pretty much everything there is brand new and well kept. Not sure, but I think most of the people in that area are former Cabrini residents which may have something to do with it. Since most of the area north of the el tracks is large businesses and warehouses [[and I doubt people are victims of crime at their workplaces) it must be this particular new development.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-06-10 at 06:14 PM.