Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default City of Detroit Tax Refunds

Does anyone know why it takes the City of Detroit longer to process refunds than it takes Federal or State?

Lack of electronic filing is one reason. Every return must be data entered [[or at least envelope opened and scanned in) by a person...

What is a City of Detroit tax refund? In my 25 years of filing, I've never got one. Add interest income to it and you're left owing.

diver1369 Guest

I made the mistake of paying my winter property taxes by mail. I sent it before Christmas but it wasn't processed until a month later, past the due date. Two months later, I received a bill from Wayne County for my delinquent tax payment.

I don't know why you think it takes so long. I look upon the receipt of my CoD tax refund check [[usually about $15) as a sure sign that Halloween is right around the corner.

Last year I was due according to my H & R Block tax professional a refund of $140 that was filed April of 2008. I received a bill in February of 2009 I received a bill from City of Detroit for $22.00 stating the return was wrong and I owed the city. Keep in mind at the time I was a resident of the city.

Default I got my refund!

We filed our return in February. We got our $41 refund on Saturday. But I still think I'm waiting on my refund from last year ...

I always file the city return in early April and typically receive the refund in August.