Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bed Bugs in Detroit and Other Cities

For those of you who travel, here is some good information before you check into that hotel/motel that you are going to. They are 2 sites that you can check to see who has bed bugs....Thought I would post it here, but could just as well been in Non Detroit....its good for the US. Your thoughts and idea's appreciated.
    http://bedbugregistry.com/

http://bedbugreports.com/

According to a recent study by a major pest control company, they found that out of all their branches, New York has the most calls about bedbug infestations, followed by Philadelphia, and then Detroit. However, Detroit is second to New York in completing the most bedbug services. If you knew of all the potential ways to get bedbugs, you would never leave your house again. Chances are, that if you know anyone staying on a college campus, you know someone with bedbugs. Remember that college students hate to pay for anything, so that wonderful couch that they found by the side of the road, may come with an unexpected treasure. As they drag that piece of furniture to their rooms, eggs, and bugs are falling off of it in the hallways. Same thing happens when they get tired of it and throw it away, and it gets picked up by the next student. The scary thing is that recent studies show that a bedbug may go for up to two, yes two, years without feeding. With that little tidbit of information, .....sleep tight..don't let the..... well you know the rest.

There was a radio show on last night about bedbugs and they said to get used to them, they are here and not going away.

East Lansing 1 Hotel with bb's
    Ann Arbor 3 Hotels with bb's
    Go Blue, your #1

Going on a trip this week, and I think the bed bug deal replaced the fear of my house getting robbed.

Is this a special time of year for bed bugs or something? Toronto and Windsor are all about it right now too.

My husband talked to the exterminator that he knows, and he says they are attributing the return of bedbugs to several things, chief among them:
    1. The war in Afghanistan. They are loaded with them over there, and the returning soldiers bring them back unknowingly
    2. The fact that we no longer use DDT to get rid of them.

Apparently high heat or extreme cold will kill them, but it's hard to freeze a room. They will die from a blast of steam or high heat in a dryer, so if you go somewhere and are concerned that there were bugs, as soon as possible, put the clothes you were wearing in a hot dryer for a while. Not a guarantee but what the hell.
    Also, check any seams or folds in new clothes you are going to try on or buy. They are finding the little critters in stores and dressing rooms. If you buy new clothes, give them the dryer routine.
    If you are staying in a motel, when you walk in the room, place whatever you have with you on a hard surface, pull the sheets back on the bed/s and check along the binding of the mattress for little dark brown bugs about the size of an apple seed.
    There, now isn't that easy and fun?

Oh and don't forget movie theaters. Take a flashlight with you, and before you sit, check around the seams of the seat for the little fellers. So what if the other patrons yell at you and think you're a freak? Better safe than sorry.

While staying in a motel, keep your clothes inside your closed luggage and keep the luggage off the floor away from the bed.

Bed Bugs I can live with. At least there aren't Bed Bees. Or are there?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    While staying in a motel, keep your clothes inside your closed luggage and keep the luggage off the floor away from the bed.
    To add to this suggestion, bring along garbage bags. Place your luggage in the garbage bags and close them while you stay in the motel/hotel.

This subject creeps me out. We're supposed to be going to Chicago next month, and I'm almost dreading it.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    To add to this suggestion, bring along garbage bags. Place your luggage in the garbage bags and close them while you stay in the motel/hotel.

This subject creeps me out. We're supposed to be going to Chicago next month, and I'm almost dreading it.
    If you are that uncomfortable just buy a mattress cover that should do the trick.

When you get home remember to immediately wash everything,

If it makes you feel any better, I spend 200 nights a year in hotel rooms and never have had any bed bug bites. Scabbies are probably more likely but your immune system usually fights them off. I wash with coal tar soap when I get home; it supposedly kills them.

It's not the end of the world if you get bitten. The bites itch, but ordinary anti-itch medication controls the problem until the bites heal [[takes a while, it's true). The key thing is to keep the suckers out of your house. First stop on bringing anything in from a trip should be the dryer, and keep the luggage off the floor or bed -- put it on the luggage rack.

[QUOTE=jcole;187505]My husband talked to the exterminator that he knows, and he says they are attributing the return of bedbugs to several things, chief among them:
    1. The war in Afghanistan. They are loaded with them over there, and the returning soldiers bring them back unknowingly
    2. The fact that we no longer use DDT to get rid of them.

One of the other factors is the change in the entire pest control industry over the past twenty years to go away from liquid treatments in hotels and other locations for roaches, and going more toward baits. The baits are less disruptive to businesses, and have been proven very effective at roach control. As far as the war being the root cause of all evil, that is not necessarily the case. The world has become much smaller and people are travelling more. I know in the Detroit area, we do see a lot of activity in homes of immigrants. You have to remember that as you travel, your luggage is kept right next to other luggage in the cargo holds. The problem with using heat is that they are finding the bedbugs adapt quite well to slow temperature changes, and most homes in the area have insulation in the outer walls, and in the ceilings/attic areas, which does not allow for quick temperature changes. Liquid CO2 has been very effective on a variety of surfaces to kill different stages of bedbugs along with vacuuming and removal of eggs and live activity, and pesticide treatment. Unfortunately most of the pesticide products labelled for bedbugs are not very effective residually against bed bugs. Any bed bug service that you have properly performed will be very labor intensive.[[read as expensive, a $150 dollar one time treatment will NOT cure your problem). As I have said before, bed bugs can go for up to 2 years without feeding, so even if you think you have eradicated them, even after eight months, you may not be rid of them. As far as mattress covers go, you want to make sure that they are bedbug certified, as the thinner covers rip easy, and the zipper may not seal completely. Keep in mind, bedbugs do not only live in beds, but in belongings. They are found anywhere there is a small crack, and where they are close to a blood meal. Sanitation is a big key to eliminating bed bugs. Eliminating piles of paper, clothes and other debris will help make control a bit easier. Sadly, removal of furniture may also be needed to control the problem. Wood bed frames are bad, too many hiding spots and areas that eggs can be attached to, you are much better off with a metal bed frame.
    Believe it or not, you would much rather have roaches in your house than bedbugs.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post

Check and see if your hotel is on this list:

http://bedbugregistry.com/

I wonder if hotels are reporting each other.

I take it this is one of the more minor of the many costs of globalization/new world order.

What benefits of George H. W. Bush's new world order have Americans seen?

I never voted for Bush, but I am reluctant to attribute the resurgence of bed bugs to him. Seems to me it's more likely a result of more international travel and immigration.

At any rate, we need not fear. The Detroit City Council is considering a Bed Bug Ordinance. And we all know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Seems to me it's more likely a result of more international travel and immigration.
    i.e. globalization.

I had bed bugs in my duplex on the tenant side. They came over to my side. I freaked out too. Mosquitos are exactly like bedbugs and everyone of us has been bitten at night by a mosquito while sleeping. Also, bedbugs don't carry diseases like mosquitos. Stop freaking out.
    If you are worried about them ... here is what you do. Pull your bed away from the wall so your pillow doesn't touch the head board or wall. Don't let any covers touch the floor ever! They crawl up the covers onto the bed to get to you. They don't climb smooth surfaces such as glass and most legs on a bed have an enamel surface. Buy a mattress cover with a ployurithane coating on the inside. If they are already in your mattress then vacuum it to get the eggs, kill any you see and put the mattress in the ployurithane cover. Same for the box spring. Clean out the vacuum immediately outside so you don't spread them through the house. Wash your bed sheets and covers in hot water 140 F to kill any eggs or live bugs. If they don't get food in six months to a year they are dead. Your are food so the idea is to keep them from getting to YOU. You can't get ride of them because they crawl through hair line cracks, hid in walls etc. so you basically starve them to death. They crawl really slow like tank bugs so you can easily kill them. Also, you have to keep on top of them. I still inspect my mattress once a week and I haven't had one in over a year. Every hotel that I go to I inspect the piping round the mattress, look behind head board etc. I have yet to find them in a hotel but I'm sure I will some day.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I take it this is one of the more minor of the many costs of globalization/new world order.

1996--- bureaucrats from the EPA [[under Clinton) are the cause of the Bed Bug problem that we see today.

nice try though

You know you are on a Left Wing Wacko website when people start blaming bed bugs on Bush!!

ick.....let's not use bed bugs and bush in the same sentence aymore, alright?

....sorry lol

Quote Originally Posted by magnatomicflux View Post
    ick.....let's not use bed bugs and bush in the same sentence aymore, alright?:d

....sorry lol
    lmao>>>>>>

You know, my building just had a...preventative maintenance, lets call it for bed bugs. I was suprised that the orkin man removed all the outlet and light switch covers to look there as well. So...there's another spot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast