Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Public Schools - Enrollment Numbers?

An article this week in the paper mentioned that the count for the school year 2010, was 79,758 students. This was down approximately 100,000 from 2000. Which mean there were 179,000 in 2000. Understand that the population has declined, as well as charter schools and open enrollment in neighboring districts. Is another reason for decline the size of families, with families in the past having 6,7 and 8 kids? Seems like the norm today is 2 or 3?At what years were enrollment at it's highest? and how many students at those times? I have heard stories about having close to 3,000 kids in a graduating class at some high schools?

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    An article this week in the paper mentioned that the count for the school year 2010, was 79,758 students. This was down approximately 100,000 from 2000. Which mean there were 179,000 in 2000. Understand that the population has declined, as well as charter schools and open enrollment in neighboring districts. Is another reason for decline the size of families, with families in the past having 6,7 and 8 kids? Seems like the norm today is 2 or 3?At what years were enrollment at it's highest? and how many students at those times? I have heard stories about having close to 3,000 kids in a graduating class at some high schools?
    My guess is population decline, targeted population decline, so to speak. People had 6-8 kids in the year 2000?

I really, truly hate to be negative. The reality is that many people simply do not want to send their kids to a DPS school. I know of several people that are trying to get their kids into charters, suburban, or other schools that provide a good, safe learning environment. Until the school board, "actvists" and other government official realiz this, we may be seeing DPS die a slow death !

313, you heard 3000 but not for a graduating class. That number was enrollment at a school [[usually high schools). My class size numbers are in the 20s compared with years past where they were in the 60s. The enrollment numbers are not accurate this year because of some snafu with a new scheduling program we have [[not all kids had schedules as of count day). Some of the kids who are on my class list haven't shown up at all [[and this is week 4 of school). Kids are school hopping like crazy, despite us not transferring kids until after the count window. Many kids who live on the east side were slated for schools on the west side [[they were placed by the district, no matter where they lived) and vice versa so many haven't gone to school anywhere. It's a clusterf*&^ to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    The enrollment numbers are not accurate this year because of some snafu with a new scheduling program we have [[not all kids had schedules as of count day).
    I get it! They're trying to fail! A slow death, anyone?

DetroitTeacher, thank you for your service to Detroit's children. I would probably be quite frustrated in your position, but I hope you keep your chin up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    313, you heard 3000 but not for a graduating class. That number was enrollment at a school [[usually high schools).
    In the 1950s, we had over 4,000 in 9-12 at Denby. Graduating classes weren't that large because we had half grades and half the kids graduated in January and half in June.

lots of charters have opened in the last 10 years - so its not all population decline.

In 1971 at Cass the graduating class was around 900...

fryar: I am beyond frustrated. The kids had their messed up schedules for 3 weeks. I forged ahead, anyway [[can't wait forever...they are holding ME accountable). This past Monday, they got entirely new schedules and I have SOME of the kids I had in the first 3 weeks. I had to, basically, start over. This just didn't happen at the school where I am, it happened in over 23 schools. I'm amazed when everyone blames poor performance on the teachers. I can not control things outside of my classroom, yet everyone wants miracles.