Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should there be a limit to how many threads you can start per day?

Just a thought that occurred to me since NewDetroit started posting.

Bearinabox Guest

I half-expected this to be another Newdetroit thread.

Naw, he really hasn't created that many threads. They're easily ignored if you don't care to read what he posts.

How about if we eliminate all threads that start with the word "Should"? Look at 'em, how many do we need? Should we do that? lol

So what is a reasonable limit? 2 new threads per day with limit of 5 per week? What?

Over-posting or excessive thread creation amounts to shouting in our view and those doing so, no matter how sincere, will have their abilities limited.

We would prefer this to be self-regulating and are looking into post and thread-starting throttling plug-ins.

Agreed Lowell, this shoud be a self-regulated experience. Those thriving on excessive postings just to be able to "be somebody" will quickly tire of the experience as well as the lack of credibility and go away. Those that don't, and just want to "push buttons", will eventually be ignored and go away.

It'd be a shame for Lowell to have to "police" this site for additional rules. Speaking of rules, I know there is a list somewhere around here.

Perhaps posting a notice somewhere about good posting etiquette? To me, that's different than rules.

Ravine Guest

Lowell, I don't have a vote on this one... I mean, I suppose that I have one, but I don't have any interest in using it.
    However, something to think about: I wasn't even particularly aware of that poster until seeing this mention, which just goes to show that once a thread has been fired up, the name showing is the name of the most recent participant, and the ones which I open up are the ones which A) look to be of interest to me and/or B) show a most-recent post by someone whose posts are of interest to me. If one, or both, of those conditions have been met, I couldn't care less [[in most cases) who initiated the thread or how damn many threads they initiated on that day.
    Once again, as with the "Ignore" function, I absolutely do not understand why some folks act as though they are being forced to read stuff. As I put it, to one of our colleagues, the "Ignore" function is like obtaining a watchdog to protect you from yourself.
    It looks, to me, as though Detroitnerd has an axe to grind, re: NewDetroit, but wants you to be the one who holds it to the stone. Let Detroitnerd hone his own cutlery, I say; some of us-- me being one of them, truthfully-- are quick enough to criticize you for acting a bit too, well *ahem* let's just say, maybe, paternalistic in your moderation of this forum, what with the censoring, deletions, bannings & such, and here we have Detroitnerd imploring you [[even if only as a facade over a swipe at NewDetroit) to act in just such a mode.
    So, I guess I do want to vote: If someone wants to fire up a few dozen threads per day, let 'em do it. If the threads suck, they will sink, quickly enough, down the board before dying of natural causes.
    Unless, of course, a line forms of folks who insist on logging these here'uns:
    "Boy, does this thread ever suck!! You suck!! Your opinion sucks!! Here, let me quote your post, line by line, as I go into laborious detail about just why, and how badly, your post sucks!! And just so I'm sure that you get it, here's a cut&paste, from the Merriam-Webster On-Line Dictionary, of the definition of "suck!!"
    Some shit just does not warrant your attention, Boss.

Bearinabox Guest

I'm fairly certain the OP was tongue-in-cheek.

Ravine Guest

OP? I am acronymically-challenged.

Bearinabox Guest

Original Poster.

Ravine Guest

Oh. I see. Well, maybe so, but now the question is Out There, and Lowell seemed to be asking for a show of hands, so, you know, I felt the urge.

I don't think it's about the number of posts, but whether or not they're rational and reasonable, or just meant to muckrake.

I'd still like to know if ND has ever even been to town or not.

OP is other poster? I always that it was Other People, like in 'Smokin' OP's'

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Oh. I see. Well, maybe so, but now the question is Out There, and Lowell seemed to be asking for a show of hands, so, you know, I felt the urge.
    My post was directed as much at him as at you. Here I thought we were just mocking Newdetroit, and all you guys gotta get all serious and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    ...as I go into laborious detail
    Haha, yes.

No offense intended, just a joke.

Godammit.

I have to agree with Ravine that this issue is not an issue at all. People around here get real crabby at times over nothing. I created a few [[over a month's period of time, mind you) threads with polls in them and posters starting whining that they were being overrun with polls. I counted the threads with polls in them and it was like 8 out of 75 threads on the front page [[Non-Detroit), half of which were mocking the fact that "OH MY GOD" there's too many polls. In other words, if people would have just ignored the 4 [[OH NO, NOT FOUR!!!! ) polls I created over a month's period of time [[a poll a week avg.- that they are not forced to answer anyhow) then they would be alright. It also tickles me when people on this site start belly-aching over every misspelled word on this site as if they think someone is summitting a resume for a job or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    ...this issue is not an issue at all
    Of course it's not an issue...I believe Detroitnerd was making a joke. Newdetroit started like 9 or 10 threads in a 24-hour period, half of them beginning with "Should..."

So Detroitnerd's thread "Should there be a limit..." is a parody of that.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I have to agree with Ravine that this issue is not an issue at all. People around here get real crabby at times over nothing. I created a few [[over a month's period of time, mind you) threads with polls in them and posters starting whining that they were being overrun with polls. I counted the threads with polls in them and it was like 8 out of 75 threads on the front page [[Non-Detroit), half of which were mocking the fact that "OH MY GOD" there's too many polls. In other words, if people would have just ignored the 4 [[OH NO, NOT FOUR!!!! ) polls I created over a month's period of time [[a poll a week avg.- that they are not forced to answer anyhow) then they would be alright. It also tickles me when people on this site start belly-aching over every misspelled word on this site as if they think someone is summitting a resume for a job or something.
    I think we should take a poll. Matter of fact, I should create one for that issue now, or should I wait for Newdetroit to do it? I mean, he/she is so eloquent and expresive in his posts that perhaps the management wishes no further derogatory commentary upon his/her person? Take it from me, I know all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    So Detroitnerd's thread "Should there be a limit..." is a parody of that.
    Yea, I got that. There were other posts after that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Original Poster.
    Wow, I always thought it meant opinion piece, or op-ed.

The things you learn on this board!

that perhaps the management wishes no further derogatory commentary upon his/her person? Take it from me, I know all about it.

You noticed the favoritism too, huh?

LodgeDodger Guest

I think New Detroit is just having a little fun at the expense of DetroitYes--Cockpuncher Extraordinaire.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I think New Detroit is just having a little fun at the expense of DetroitYes--Cockpuncher Extraordinaire.
    If he is, he or she is the king of cockpunchers. Actually, there's too much work involved in the preparation and delivery of threads of that scope and depth. I' am beginning to think that NewDetroit is really another poster with way too much time on their hands.

Ravine Guest

I was merely [[hello, John) answering Lowell's posted question, goddamit. Now, it appears that I have been taken in by a thread which was initiated to parody other threads which were initiated to parody threads which...

Oh never mind.

Goddamit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast