Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Should Downtown Fendale create a "Dupont Circle" at 9 and Woodward.

I was wondering if people think that it might be a good idea for Fendale to create a circle with a huge fountain in the middle of 9 mile and Woodward with Woodward going underneath the circle and having one lane of Woodward on the sides of the circle...It would be like a Dupont Circle in Washington DC. Would this make Downtown Ferndale more Pedestrian and connect both sides of Woodward? What are people's thoughts?

The various circles in Washington may look pretty, but are notorious pains in the butt.

The Detroit area doesn't need a "fruit loop".

"Fruit Loop?" Hermod you must not be secure with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The various circles in Washington may look pretty, but are notorious pains in the butt.

The Detroit area doesn't need a "fruit loop".
    Only if you're trying to drive through it at 100 mph. If you're on foot, on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    I was wondering if people think that it might be a good idea for Fendale to create a circle with a huge fountain in the middle of 9 mile and Woodward with Woodward going underneath the circle and having one lane of Woodward on the sides of the circle...It would be like a Dupont Circle in Washington DC. Would this make Downtown Ferndale more Pedestrian and connect both sides of Woodward? What are people's thoughts?
    Just Damn

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Only if you're trying to drive through it at 100 mph. If you're on foot, on the other hand....
    If you are on foot, and something is on the far side, it is worse than crossing Woodward to get over there.

I got stuck at GWU one week and spent a lot of time in the evenings walking in the area. For walkability, I far prefer downtown Arlington or downtown Alexandria.

i think it would be more fun to set up ramps on either side and encourage drivers to jump the intersection "Dukes of Hazzard" style.

seriously, the intersection is fine. i've never had issues getting across on foot.

If your spending money you don't have I always say spend lots of it. Why not put the intersection underground and build a park or business section on top of it? The Dream Cruise isn't disturbed and no more pedestrian crossing issues.

I'm not real familiar with that intersection. I don't think that's necessarily altogether kooky. It's definitely fresh thinking.

Although I laugh at Campus Martius because of all its stop lights [[silly Americans, they put stop lights in their roundabouts ;-), it's helpful in crossing the street.

What you're proposing is more difficult to pull off. Let me ask you this about those roundabouts in DC [[I lived there for 2009): Wouldn't they be better if all the cars went underground, and you could just walk along the sidewalk to a nice little park or something.?

Just a random idea I just had.

Edit: Whoa! Lowell!

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    Would this make Downtown Ferndale more Pedestrian...?
    Okay, forget it... the punchline is too easy.

Why not. Ferndale has money to burn. In fact, maybe they should have some sort of an eternal money-flame, where bills are consistently incinerated and residents can go to laugh that other communities tend not to have such a valuable commodity or the resources which to fritter away. Perhaps it could be run by a magic unicorn as well.

well, this explains where the magic extra land is coming from

If there is no confluence of roads [[more than 2 or 3), there is no need for a circle. Chicago has several locations where 3 roads meet. They just add a third light direction.

Circles look nice, but unless signage is done well, they are a pain. I've lived in the DC area now for almost 6 years since I graduated from undergrad here and I only drive through Dupont or Logan circles when I absolutely have to. That's 10 years of avoiding the cirlces. Guess I'm pretty square.

There are lights, crossing signals, crosswalks and sidewalks. You can also stop in the middle if you can't make it across in one signal. What's the need to make it more pedestrian accessible? It already is accessible.

After walking DC and some of its circles many times, I prefer not to have the circle. It is easy to cross Woodward and not have to walk all the way around the circle. When there are attractive things on both sides of Woodward, and parking is good on one side, why not walk across?

Who remembers when they had parking in the middle of Woodward? That was cool!

Why don't DC just build a Belle Isle? After all, there are no beaches or island parks in the Patomac.

Incidentally just because you build something does not mean people will use it. Look at Grand Circus Park, its nearly deserted 90 percent of the time.

Leave the Fruit Loops for Battle Creek. Why rain on its parade? Why take it away from the Sugar Smacks and Tony the Tiger?

This is exactly the kind of fresh, creative thinking that we don't need.

Such an idea isn't really all that bad... for the right location...

But really... 9 Mile & Woodward? Usually grand public squares have buildings to match... what 4 nice looking buildings would end up in the 4 curved blocks around such a circle with a fountain [[and say flowers and trees) in the middle.... a Walgreens, Ace Hardware, IHOP and Autozone??

Grand squares usually have grand structures... and I just don't see 9 & Woodward ever having that.

Now if I were to pick a location for a traffic cricle... it would be E. Jefferson & E. Grand Blvd. That current clusterfuck of roadways and turnabout lanes.... sucks!!

A traffic circle there would have been a much nicer replacement for the filled in E. Grand Blvd. tunnel under E. Jefferson. It would be nice to move the Hurlbut Memorial Gate from just down the street at Waterworks [[since it ain't gonna be a park ever again!). That nice Belle Epoche confection would make a great centerpiece to a Belle Isle entrance traffic circle with the Hurlbut grand staircase facing Belle Isle.

And the 2 waterfront quadrants could remain landscaped with trees, and greenery. The only problem there would be the 2 quadrants north of Jefferson. They'd have to build something nicer than a Big Boy.

a Walgreens, Ace Hardware, IHOP and Autozone??
    I don't think the Ferndale Building is comparable to a Walgreens or IHOP. It's been there since, what, 1915 or something? It may not live up to your Gistokiness, but it's no IHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    After walking DC and some of its circles many times, I prefer not to have the circle. It is easy to cross Woodward and not have to walk all the way around the circle. When there are attractive things on both sides of Woodward, and parking is good on one side, why not walk across?

Who remembers when they had parking in the middle of Woodward? That was cool!
    Even cooler was having the double-tracked interurban running down the middle of Woodward. Those extra wide medians on Woodward aren't just there for aesthetics or parking, they once carried the Detroit-Pontiac interurban

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I don't think the Ferndale Building is comparable to a Walgreens or IHOP. It's been there since, what, 1915 or something? It may not live up to your Gistokiness, but it's no IHOP.

What about the Gap Outlet/Old Navy Store? Maybe Comos? Yeah those are architectural treasures!

There were historical buildings on those sites, too, but they were torn down to build ugly shit because this is Detroit.

This is the Northwest and Southwest corner, Old Navy ugly would be there on the right.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; October-01-10 at 03:13 PM.

At Como's location there were a couple different things as I remember from the lady at the historical society.

Here you can see a bit of a store peeking out on the right. Crow's nest there in the middle directing traffic, and the two buildings from the above picture again in the background.

A more complete view of the NW corner, with the rail tracks clearly visible in the median.

I'm not sure what transpired on that corner, maybe a fire? It's a shame that's gone and the ugly ass building took it's place. Note the crow's nest has now been replaced with those funky traffic light obelisks.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; October-01-10 at 03:42 PM.

How can that be the NE corner? Is the plate reversed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast