Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default TEDxDetroit Reactions

Did anyone else attend TEDx yesterday? It was a great event with a lot of cheering for the city. It highlighted area artists, musicians, teachers and entrepreneurs among other innovators. I was eager to hear Dan Gilbert speak in case he announced any new progress in his efforts to make Detroit a tech hub. Here are a few things he said [[in no particular order):

[[1) He is a fontologist [[a little humor to start re: his letter to Lebron James)
    [[2) Light rail is going to happen.
    [[3) Big fan of Illitch and what he's done for the city. Would love to see Pistons downtown in a shared arena with the wings.
    [[4) Mentioned GalaxE as an important part of Webward Ave
    [[5) Skyscrapers are cheap: he has put a few "under contract"
    [[6) In the last two weeks he has received calls from a few CEOs curious about the move to Detroit. They appear interested in coming downtown as well.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...rt_thinks.html

I had no idea this was happening! It looks like space was too limited for me to go anyway.

But it looks like I have some videos to watch! Thanks for sharing

Makes perfect cents.

Default My TedX review

What I loved:
    Stephen Clark- Channel 7 anchor talking about starting #backchannel on twitter. Very innovative.
    Jerry Paffendorf- he is selling one inch parcels of Detroit. Watching him I thought he was a nut, but his ideas have stuck with me over the last 2 days, and I am now thinking he is a genius.
    DJ Primemaster scratching [[on old skool vinyl) his tribute to Detroit
    Steve Kahn - Founder of Math Corps at Wayne State. Wow.. he blew me away. An incredible hybrid of non-politically correct acknowledging problems-- while caring deeply.. and doing something about it. Very moving.
    Dan Gilbert was good, as mentioned.. but I couldn't help noticing he walks like a Hobbit.

Yawn:
    Music by Dale Earnart Jr. Jr.-- isn't the whole irony thing kinda played out by the hiptsters. They wear NASCAR drivers suits.. Gee.. that's a tough laugh.. mocking NASCAR rednecks.
    Will Smidlein- billed as a 13 year old entrepreneur.. kinda oversold.. he appear to be a great kid who has put together a web design business. Good for him.. but little relevance to the rest of us. The "risks" of starting a new business are not that great when mom is still slicing apples for your lunch bag.
    Some lady that teaches middle aged white women how to dance Indian style.. kind of awkward when she was dancing her butt off trying to get the audience to join.. but the geeks stood their ground and kinda just watched as one would watch a train wreck.
    Texts from last night-- I have a personal dislike for the site-- I admit it is funny, but kinds depressing to celebrate personal and emotional wreckage

All in all it was an awesome day, really well done by organizers.. they did just a great job.