Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Unity Studios Moving to Detroit

...after being more or less kicked out of Allen Park. Lifton, etc., moving to TechTown.

We need more source!

AWESOME NEWS!

Studio in a growing vibrant area next to future rail line is exactly what we need to keep Hollywood and NYC types here.

Detroit could use a major production studio with backlots.. The Packard grounds would be great..Fisher Body plant 21 area...

Scratch this down as positive news!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlegumes View Post
    ...after being more or less kicked out of Allen Park. Lifton, etc., moving to TechTown.
    ...kicked out because they never delivered on their promises to build the studio. Remeber the insane claims of 100 acres of development and three quarters of a million square feet? They, per the article are renting 1100 sqr feet. look out. How is tech town going to absorb such a HUGE need? I wonder if they will be "negotiating for a permanent location" as long as Dan Gilbert has been looking for a spot to put a Quicken HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...kicked out because they never delivered on their promises to build the studio. Remeber the insane claims of 100 acres of development and three quarters of a million square feet? They, per the article are renting 1100 sqr feet. look out. How is tech town going to absorb such a HUGE need? I wonder if they will be "negotiating for a permanent location" as long as Dan Gilbert has been looking for a spot to put a Quicken HQ?
    Then Detroit should be vigilant not to fall in a same trap by giving them tax credits without delivering.

Film studios need to be of varying sizes and some stages are pretty big. But a lot of vacant auto plants or related factories would be ideal for renovation provided they are columnless and of sufficient height for lightgrids, the rest is pretty basic heat, water.Electric is provided by diesel generators by the production [[not usually in house). One major expense is sound insulation on the inside walls and of course your roofs aint supposed to leak on no Drew Barrymores. The way to make money is the rental of gripping and gaffing equipment in house. With the cost of real estate in Detroit and the proper financing, the ball could start rolling pretty quick. If the quality of crews is recognized and the local art department do well, there is a lot of promise for Detroit.

*Pumped*

I am cautiously optimistic. I would much rather see them in the city, but I get the impression that this studio is blowing smoke up our asses. Never even came close to what they promised in Allen Park. However, if this happens, with Wonderstruck right down the street at Ford Field, this is great news for Downtown/Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    I get the impression that this studio is blowing smoke up our asses. Never even came close to what they promised in Allen Park.
    I feel the same way. They had a great location in Allen Park with lots of space to have actual studios and they leave that for a small office in Techtown? It feels like a scene out of the Music Man.

How do you finance anything whose existence is predicated on the continuation of the State of Michigan tax credits that may disappear at any time?

Get the cash upfront!

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic. I would much rather see them in the city. I would much rather see them in the city, but I get the impression that this studio is blowing smoke up our asses. Never even came close to what they promised in Allen Park.
    Right, but I mean if they were moving anywhere in Metro Detroit because they outgrew their previous location, then I would be optimistic. But they are moving because they were kicked out of their previous location for misrepresenting themselves. Most cities are really hurting for business, and the fact that Allen Park told them "Thanks, but no thanks," leaves me anything but optimistic.

Unity Studios alrealy screw Allen Park of the its property. How can that movie studio wants to move to Detroit and restart from there? KING BING will have to look at Unity Studios background.

Danny, please send your posts to me for a proofread before you share them with everyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "studio" basically 6 guys running the film-industry-equivalent of a University of Phoenix out of a crumby office?

Why is everyone so negative about this? So they left Allen Park; so what?. Maybe some people actually think that Midtown Detroit is a more advantageous place for a film studio. Why is that so hard to believe? If they moved to Tempe, AZ, I'm sure nobody would be rah-rah-ing. We'd all be saying stuff like "Midtown is the creative capital of Michigan" "TechTown's awesome" "Didn't they consider being by CCS' new campus?" Damn. Be happy for once.

I can see how it's possible they got kicked out of AP for misrepresenting themselves. But they issued a press release back in July that started as follows:

Detroit, Mich., [[July 6th, 2010) – Unity Studios [[Unity) announced the production of “War Flowers,” its first feature length film. The Civil War-era family drama, produced and financed by Unity and directed by veteran filmmaker Serge Rodnunsky is being filmed on the studios’ sound stages and at select off-site locations around southeast Michigan. “War Flowers” all-star cast was partially packaged by ICM and includes Christina Ricci [[The Addams Family, Penelope), Jason Gedrick [[Backdraft), Tom Berenger [[Platoon, Major League) and introducing Gabrielle Popa.
    The director doesn't even have his own Wikipedia entry, making me think this movie is indie, but with the claimed cast, these guys are either total cons, or they're just not full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Why is everyone so negative about this? So they left Allen Park; so what?. Maybe some people actually think that Midtown Detroit is a more advantageous place for a film studio. Why is that so hard to believe? If they moved to Tempe, AZ, I'm sure nobody would be rah-rah-ing. We'd all be saying stuff like "Midtown is the creative capital of Michigan" "TechTown's awesome" "Didn't they consider being by CCS' new campus?" Damn. Be happy for once.
    I really hope they thrive in Midtown, it's just that I'd be more optimistic if they were moving to Midtown because they saw it as a good opportunity, not because the mayor of Allen Park wanted them out of his city.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Danny, please send your posts to me for a proofread before you share them with everyone.
    My words are mostly from is fellowship of the forumers, in which I find interesting. Please read my codespeak and understand.

I just take Danny's posts and run them through Babel Fish.