Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Raven Lounge [[positive Detroit experience)

Drove past the Raven Lounge Friday night around 10 pm, decided to skip the spot and check out a couple of Hamtramck spots, Smalls and Paychecks. Around about quarter past one decided to swing by Ravens to catch a quick groove and see what the renowned blues joint was all about. Got a spot directly in front of the place on the curb. As I walked toward the door I overheard the two guys watching the cars struggling to dominate each other arguing something about "just go watch the motherfucking cars" the larger more threatening aggressive male asked me if I wanted to go inside stating its 5 dollars. I asked if I could just take a quick peek inside being cheap not wanting to pay five bucks with less than half an hour to go before closing time. The carwatcher thought I said I wanted to take a pee, and suggested I walk around the corner,after repeating myself and a little more misunderstanding [[I think he was a little buzzed) he whipped out a big wad of money, peeled off a twenty and said "look here man,theyre gonna charge you five dollars inside, pay the cover buy me and my man [[the other guy he was fussing with) a beer and bring me my change after you take a pee ". I thankfully gratefully accepted as besides my visa I only had about five bucks cash, "thats just the kinda nigguh I am" he replied. I went in, paid the cover and met up with the money man at the bar who already had a drink lined up for himself , gave him the 15dollars change, he pushed a full Budweiser toward me, I politely bought my own beer not wanting to take advantage of his kindness feeling tinge of guilt for letting him pay my way in. Funny thing before I entered he claimed the spot was his [[I was introduced to the real owner) The patrons were a mature 30-on up crowd, relaxing and enjoying the blues..wee hours of the morning in a devastated section of Dertroit a very nice time and great vibe....one of the workers who was having her b-day party introduced herself and gave me a hug... I want to go back and try the down home cooking

That's the real Detroit blues.

In a couple weeks, the Johns Carpet House Jam will be starting up on Sunday 5 - 9 pm which is just around the corner from there. You might see some of the same players. It's like an outdoor picnic that's totally free. There are some pictures here:

www.JohnsCarpetHouse.com

I've never had a bad experience at the Raven. Of course, I seldom go on the weekends, when there seems to be a lot more people and numerous un-regulars showing up to make the scene. It's basically a neighborhood joint the rest of the time.