Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default So They Really Aren't Targets of the Corruption Investigation

This point about Federal Grand Jury investigations made in an article today about a new book about Former Michigan Governor John Swainson by Lawrence Glazer lends credence to the statements by Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick, Ayana Kilpatrick and Wendell Anthony that thay are not "targets" of the investigation:

"It was highly unusual for Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Ozer, who at the time headed the Detroit organized crime "strike force," to subpoena Swainson to testify when Swainson was the target of the investigation. A former top federal prosecutor told The Detroit News such a move is now against Justice Department policy and would almost certainly not happen." [[emphasis mine)

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100930/...#ixzz112KUo88I

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    This point about Federal Grand Jury investigations made in an article today about a new book about Former Michigan Governor John Swainson by Lawrence Glazer lends credence to the statements by Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick, Ayana Kilpatrick and Wendell Anthony that thay are not "targets" of the investigation:

"It was highly unusual for Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Ozer, who at the time headed the Detroit organized crime "strike force," to subpoena Swainson to testify when Swainson was the target of the investigation. A former top federal prosecutor told The Detroit News such a move is now against Justice Department policy and would almost certainly not happen." [[emphasis mine)

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100930/...#ixzz112KUo88I
    Yes, but times and criminals have changed. Only way to get some light on the subject, perhaps?

Am I reading it wrong? I think it says it is now against the law to have targets come in and testify.
    So it seems that the three are, as they say, not targets, because they hve all been subpeonaed to testify. Hard to believe that Ayana Kilpatrick Ferguson is not a target and is going to skate free - but it appears so.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Am I reading it wrong? I think it says it is now against the law to have targets come in and testify.
    So it seems that the three are, as they say, not targets, because they hve all been subpeonaed to testify. Hard to believe that Ayana Kilpatrick Ferguson is not a target and is going to skate free - but it appears so.
    It's policy only when the people involved are not suspects in the CURRENT investigation, as in what they are testifying to.The testimony may uncover other things or lay the basis for future cases without compromising the policy.

Thanks for the clarification. Another example of the value of this Board.