Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The "Values Voters Summit"

What would Jesus say about Mike Huckabee?

http://www.truth-out.org/sick-bastards63456
    "... People with pre-existing conditions, he explains, are like houses that have already burned down.
    'It sounds so good, and it's such a warm message to say we're not gonna deny anyone from a preexisting condition,' Huckabee explained at the Value Voters Summit today. 'Look, I think that sounds terrific, but I want to ask you something from a common sense perspective. Suppose we applied that principle [to] our property insurance. And you can call your insurance agent and say, 'I'd like to buy some insurance for my house.'He'd say, 'Tell me about your house.' 'Well sir, it burned down yesterday, but I'd like to insure it today.' And he'll say, 'I'm sorry, but we can't insure it after it's already burned.' Well, no pre-existing conditions '."

Well I guess you better either be
    1) wealthy enough to pay for your medical condition out of pocket
    2) die in a hurry to minimize the suffering and debt you'll incur, or
    3) never change jobs

That's a rather hard line stance to take. I hope that quote was simply taken out of context.

What a ridiculous analogy. The "burned down house" analogy might make sense if someone were trying to get health insurance for a dead person but it just doesn't work for pre-existing conditions.

Huckabee shouldn't go around embarrassing himself like that.

Jesus doesn't pick football teams nor does he pick denominations...he doesn't support wars nor big business ...he doesn't have a favorite nation. He hung with the poor and has had more passages in his teachings in how to take care of the poor than any of the issues that conservatives who invoke his name claim to represent... His teachings are very simple...do onto others as you would do onto yourself...he would favor health care for all as well as paying a fair tax...he could have came and hung out with the rich instead he hung with fishermen and carpenters... his message was for the ages ...and not just one tribe...whether you like it or not he liked you...

A pre-existing condition on a house would be, say, lead in the pipes, or a 20 year old roof or a cracked driveway. I'm sure you can still get your homeowners insurance with those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    A pre-existing condition on a house would be, say, lead in the pipes, or a 20 year old roof or a cracked driveway. I'm sure you can still get your homeowners insurance with those conditions.
    Or inadequate structural support of the roof, inadequate ventilation of a crawlspace, insufficient insulation, lack of waterproofing membrane on basement walls....

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...oud-expect.php
    "...There were attacks on health care, spending and taxes, too, but this is the VVS after all, so the fear of ending Don't Ask, Don't Tell and the specter of government funding for abortion took center stage in a way not seen at most high-profile Republican events this year..."

It all sounds like conservative double talk, i.e., they're for healthcare as long as the for-profit healthcare industry isn't inconvenienced. They hate government control over people unless it has to do with personal matters like love and marriage,reproductive health, family planning, etc.

"...Rep. Michele Bachmann [[R-MN), as bright a star as ever shown in the conservative constellation this year, took to the stage to slam spending and "Obamacare," but also took time to lead the attendees through a reading of the Declaration of Independence, which she suggested highlighted Thomas Jefferson's intention to keep abortion illegal forever..."

Bachman is not in touch with reality. She appeals to the least informed and most bigoted members of our society.