Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Cleveland

Default Cleveland

Hello all,

I will be staying in Cleveland for the next 6 weeks or so, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do and/or good restaurants [[casual, with local flavor).

I am looking for family friendly stuff, as well as good outdoor activities [[walking trails, etc.).

Will be staying in the West burbs, and spending some time downtown.

Thanks!

I would recommend a website devoted to Cleveland

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/

ClevelandYES?

Quote Originally Posted by wittness View Post
    I will be staying in Cleveland for the next 6 weeks or so, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do and/or good restaurants [[casual, with local flavor).
    watch a Browns game - !!

Weren't there previous threads on this same exact topic?

There's always the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

We love the Great Lakes Brew Pub. http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/bre...nd-the-brewpub

The West Side Market [[W 25th and Lorain) is not to be missed.

The best food in Cleveland is of the casual type. Restaurants I like:

Sokolowski's University Inn [[Polish) in Tremont

Slyman's for the BEST corned beef sandwich on earth [[E 30th and St. Clair)

Melt Bar and Grilled [[Detroit Ave, Lakewood)

The Museum of Art is wonderful and just finished a huge expansion.

For kitsch, the house from "A Christmas Story" is open as a museum in Tremont.

The Cleveland Metroparks zoo is fantastic.

Hey all, thanks for the replies. @Ghettopalmetto - thanks for the recommendations. Esp. the Christmas Story recommendation - will have to check it out.

Yes, I know there are other Cleveland sites out there. I have found them to lack local flavor. I know DYes'ers are pretty well traveled, and I was hoping to leverage some of that with this post.

Second Slyman's. Check out the Flats area as well, although I've been told it has changed quite a bit.

Check out Cuyahoga National Park. It's beautiful this time of the year. Lots of trails for hiking or biking. Brandywine Falls is a popular attraction:
    http://www.nps.gov/cuva/photosmultim...ls-Gallery.htm

Tremont and Lakewood are cool areas to explore in Cleveland, as are Ohio City [[location of the West Side Market) and the Coventry area on the Cleveland Heights border. Cleveland also has a real old-time Little Italy, near University Circle on Mayfield Road [[near E. 119th). Definitely worth checking out... the bakeries and restaurants there are great! For live music, the Beachland Ballroom & Tavern on the far east side is the best place in town.

Cleveland has a terrific music scene, especially in the realm of hard rock and metal. In addition to the aforementioned Beachland Ballroom:

Grog Shop [[Coventry)
    Peabody's [[near CSU)
    House of Blues [[Euclid and E 4th)

All always have something interesting happening. I also like the Garage on West 25th, just north of the West Side Market. Local bands and $2 pints of Molson Canadian!

Default Significant Cleveland Locations

For outdoor activities in the Cleveland west area try the Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation
    West Cleveland Neighborhoods; Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway and Kamm's Corners
    Best Pizza in Cleveland west area; Angelo's
    Ribs and Chicken; Tick Tock Tavern
    What would Cleveland be without a Soup Kitchen? Souper market
    and finally for a Coney you might want to try the Hot Dog Inn at 4001 Lorain Ave. This place reminds me of the old Cleveland, a bit grimy and shady but home nonetheless. Best visited after the bars close.

If you feel like a little drive, you can head about 20 miles east and visit James Garfield's house in Mentor. It is interesting to learn about the former presidents, and Ohio has five, as well as the First Ladies National Historic Site. McKinley's Tomb and the First Ladies' Site are in Canton, about 75 miles south of Cleveland.

The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, running out of Independence, Ohio......just south of Cleveland.....is a beautiful ride through the the park and valley. About 2 weeks ago, they hosted NKP 765. That must have been a show.

http://www.cvsr.com/default.aspx

The flats have gone Ghetto. They can't have anything nice around there either.