Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Detroit is getting whiter.

Detroit sees rise in white residents after 60 years

A stunning demographic reversal is taking shape in Detroit.

After six decades of white flight, the percentage of white Detroiters has shot up dramatically, according to a new census survey released Tuesday.

The survey, more estimate than precise numbers, shows that the percentage of white, non-Hispanic Detroiters rose from 8.4% of the city's population in 2008 to 13.3% last year.

Much of the rise can be pegged to younger white people -- along with some empty nesters -- moving to the city, even as African Americans continue to leave for the suburbs.

"What we're seeing is a move back to the city by a younger population that sees the city as cool," said Kurt Metzger, director of Data Driven Detroit.
    More white residents moving in or fewer white residents moving out?

What? Haven't they heard? The city is a hellhole, and Oakland County is where it's at! It's full of crime and taxes and minorities and everything we've tried to escape from for years and years and I can't believe that ... aarrrgghh .. [head explodes]

Bearinabox Guest

Sounds like I owe Agnes Hitchcock an apology. The Bing/Bobb White Takeover conspiracy is real!

Quick......someone tell Nolan Finley that someone wants Washington Blvd. instead of Somerset.

the comments section on the freep about that story show just why this region is in the predicament that it is...all freaking negativity spewed out loudly, by those that know the least

I just think its due to wider use of sunscreen and skin lightening products.

we'll see.. younger generations sloughing off the animosity of the older generations is good.. all newcomers should be made to feel welcome.. hyper-paranoia about land-grabs and gentrification will stall redevelopment and repair of community relations..

My co-worker was very upset when he saw this article.

Anyhow, if only two people live in an area it only takes one more to move there to show a 50% increase in population. I'm just saying to illustrate that the lower the population the less increase it takes to make a dramatic increase "percentage" wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Sounds like I owe Agnes Hitchcock an apology. The Bing/Bobb White Takeover conspiracy is real!
    LOL.
    Speaking of her,whatever happened to Ms.Hitchcock?Haven't seen or heard a peep out of her in awhile.

iz in ur city

stealin ur jewls

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    iz in ur city

stealin ur jewls
    Too late....Kwame and his gang swipe the real jewels and replace them with glass.

iz in ur city

stealin ur jewls
    I laughed.

iz in ur city

stealin ur jewls
    As did I. Hilarious.

Anyways, this isn't news, is it?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Anyways, this isn't news, is it?
    I think so. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that the proportion of whites in the city went from 8 to 13% in one year. That's a pretty significant demographic shift, no?

I think so. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that the proportion of whites in the city went from 8 to 13% in one year. That's a pretty significant demographic shift, no?
    There is two simultaneous shifts that account for it. I going to bet way more black people moved out than white people moved in. So regardless of the change we are still at a net loss.

DetroitPole Guest

Whatever the merits of the ACS, nobody except the census has asked me my race, which happens to be "white", and that was in 2k and this year, which hasn't been published yet, so I'm not sure how accurate these demographic predictions are.

Personally I think the white percentage has hovered at around 10% for a while. White flight has cease. Those who were going to leave already did; some of the "never left" crowd has died off, and has been replaced by some young people and empty nesters, along with young urban families.

Detroit News has an article challenging the validity of the ACS findings, primarily based on its report that Detroit's population was 777,000 in 2008, a gross underestimate based on the U.S. Census Bureau's count of 912,000 that same year. Although it is completely unscientific, I think it is safe to say that by observation Detroit's white population has increased over the past few years. If it is true that it did shift to 13%, then yes, I would say that is a large demographic change, though not as large as the increase in hispanic population. In any event, Detroit is becoming more diverse, which is a good thing, IMO.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...--Census-shows

As has been discussed in other threads, the ACS isn't an independent assessment of population; it is a statistical assessment of community characteristics. So when it indicates an increase in the percentage of the population that is white and hispanic, that is the kind of question it is intended to answer and is probably pretty reliable for that purpose. As far as the absolute numbers, that is not its strong point. Fortunately, we won't have to wait too long for the actual Census numbers which are intended for that purpose.

I been thinking. I figured out the reason for the increase, Banks are considered "white people" .....they [[banks) own alot of new homes..... ONly thing I can reasonably figure

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    More white residents moving in or fewer white residents moving out?
    More white residents moving in and more black residents moving out.

Aren't persons of Middle Eastern origin still classified as "white"?

LOL! And razor wire to cut the glass with. Oh wait no, you need that to protect your property.... [[the razor wire)!
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Too late....Kwame and his gang swipe the real jewels and replace them with glass.
    iz in ur city

stealin ur jewls
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-30-10 at 01:51 PM.

Yes, on most forms that is their designation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Aren't persons of Middle Eastern origin still classified as "white"?

yeah, its getting so white that I predict in the future, a new white mayor is gonna tell the "muggers and rip off artists" to hit 8 Mile......

Is this why everybody is wearing loafers and dancing poorly?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast