Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Should we have our own Detroit walk of fame like Hollywood Blvd?

Imagine having an equivalent Hollywood Blvd with stars of Detroit's music legends up and down Woodward Blvd???? That would be a touristic activity as well as an image booster!! What are your thoughts???

Someone would tag it or steal it.

Newdetroit,

It is chilling to read this post, because I vividly imagined the same thing just nights ago. It would entrench Detroit as a Midwestern entertainment mecca among residents and tourists. In my vision, I saw a Walk of Fame along the sidewalk adjacent to the Fox and Filmore theatres, and opposite of the Fox Theatre on the east/Comerica Park-side of Woodward.

We have many Motown icons and other legendary artists that could be acknowledge and included along this Walk of Fame. Additionally, this is just south of the grounds of the old Motown building, which was at one point proposed by Gordy to be converted into a museum before it was demolished just before Super Bowl XL.

This district has potential to continue to grow as an entertainment hub as a new stadium is speculated to be erected in the area.

I would also like to see more flashing neon lights along this strip...something a bit more Timer Square-ish, or like the Las Vegas "Strip." How about another jumbo projector screen somewhere to complement the one at Hockeytown Cafe?

How about stores too. [[and please no trashy ones like along Hollywood blvd) I think the stores would bring the people that could walk on the sidewalks with the stars.

In all seriousness though, there's nothing wrong with showcasing some of Detroit's legends. Just don't sink an absurd amount of money into it when there's other effective ways of boosting tourism.