Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

LodgeDodger Guest

Default Vernors t-shirts--anyone know where to find them?

I've looked online at quite a few sites, but I can't find anyone who is printing Vernors shirts. Anyone know of sellers?

Thanks!

Bearinabox Guest

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Lowell gets rid of -->
    What does this mean?

Google came up with this and others:

http://www.zazzle.com/vernors+gifts

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Google came up with this and others:

http://www.zazzle.com/vernors+gifts
    Thank you. Yes, I've noted that site, but I'm thinking of shirts with the gnome and the like. [[Sorry, not YOU, Gnome. )

LD, I feel your pain. Finding an appropriate gnomian shirt is difficult.

This is my suggestion, but your skills with photoshop might dictate another tact: Download a image you like, import into a paint program, clean it up, enhance the colors, re-size the image..., save it as a jpeg and send it to your local Kinkos and have them print it on a t-shirt. Most kinkos has a small stock of t-shirts, but you can bring in your own. In fact you can bring in any garment ... like a button down or an apron or skirt. I suggest white due to color bleed-through affecting the color of your gnome.

I have done this a couple of times, not vernors designs, just gifts for various folk. It costs about $25 bucks, not including the shirt.

The images last a long time, but since it is a decal transfer, don't expect a lifetime of use. Cold water wash.

Can anyone tell me where the Vernors factory/store was on Woodward, and is it still there?

Woodward and Forest. Razed in the late 1980s.
    Last edited by Kathleen; February-10-10 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks, Kathleen - again!!!

For those into businesses that are in Detroit:

http://faygo.com/store/detail.aspx?s=01

Vernor's had three locations in Detroit, all on Woodward. The original drug store was at the southwest corner of Woodward and Clifford - where Tall Eze Shoes is now. The second location was at Woodward and Atwater - where Hart Plaza is now. The third location was in Wayne State territory, the property just north of the Whitney Retaurant. You'll find Wayne State apartments on the Cass side and newer condos with retail on the first floor now. The book Vernor's Ginger Ale from Arcadia Publishing shows all the locations.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I've looked online at quite a few sites, but I can't find anyone who is printing Vernors shirts. Anyone know of sellers?

Thanks!
    Original Vernor's shirts [[from the actual company) come up for sale occasionally on Ebay. There's also a site called goantiques.com that has a Vernor's sweater for sale right now. Check the classifieds at the Vernor's Club site [[www.wowway.com/~vernors) every now and then. No shirts right now. A bunch of Vernor's collectors are getting together on August 14, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. at Foran's Grand Trunk Pub. There will be sales tables of Vernor's memorabilia. Anyone can attend. You never know what type of Vernor's items will be available there.

Retroit Guest

I wonder if they will ever return to using Stevia as a sweetener now that the FDA has apparently allowed its use to some extent? I only drink Vernors occasionally and don't seem to enjoy it as much as when I was a kid. It seems to have a thick. heavy, syrupy [[as in high fructose corn syrup) texture to it. I remember it being light and crisp. Maybe it's just my taste buds changing.

Retroit, I think you're right about the HFC ... I've wondered where the Vernor's sneeze went and I'm now convinced the change to HFC made vernor's sneeze-free.

I also think plastic and cans are lousy ways to keep pop. We remember the sneezes from the days it was packaged in glass bottles. There's only one bottler who bottles Vernor's in glass, and they're out in California. I wish Pepsi, who is our local Detroit bottler of Vernor's, would make it available in glass.

I mentioned it on another thread, if you're looking for the old Vernors sneeze, get some Blenheims hot ginger ale. They sometimes have it at Merchants in Dearborn.

Blenheims certainly will put a little giddy-up in your hitch n go. From Kentucky I believe .... Still partial to our Vernors. Oh, yeah, for some reason the gnome changed his wink from the left to the right a couple years back.

new can

See? the wink has been flipped, I suspect Kwame is behind this.

Retroit Guest

...or maybe the Vernors gnome had a political conversion..."Left" to "Right"

It does make sense that using a thick syrup would prevent effervescence.

Vernors left the city for Texas a very long time ago and the owners could care less about history or anything else!