Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Chrysler fires 13 employees

This was discussed in depth last week on Dyes. Chrysler has terminated some of the employees caught drinking and smoking pot recently.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...eo_20100927_dk

But, but, that's impossible! Because the union always ensured that workers stay stoned and make big bucks! Wait, this totally goes against everything I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    But, but, that's impossible! Because the union always ensured that workers stay stoned and make big bucks! Wait, this totally goes against everything I believe!
    I am outraged! Why do these folks pay dues if it don't allow them to get loaded during work and operate heavy [[fixed!) machinery next to their union brothers and sisters?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-27-10 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    heave machinery
    I drank so much one time that my body turned into a heave machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    I drank so much one time that my body turned into a heave machine.

Hahaha!!!!

That was a great Freudian sip!

Er.... slip!

These are the people that the Union goes balls to the wall to protect.

These are the people that the Union goes balls to the wall to protect.
    because unfortunately the Wagner Act REQUIRES them to do so at their own peril....

The story isn't over yet. The affected employees are almost certainly going to contest their terminations through the grievance procedure afforded by their collective bargaining agreement. It will be interesting to see if the UAW advocates for them or simply goes through the motions.

If the UAW doesn't get on board, these guys will probably go shopping for lawyers. It would seem that the issue will be whether the CBA drug and alcohol use prohibitions cover off-premises activities, and/or whether Chrysler has to prove that they were impaired. [[Any lawyers got any opinions?) These guys aren't done yet but it will be tough for them if the UAW refuses to take their grievance past the initial level.

In another case, which has not received as much publicity, Gary Crittenden, CFO of Citigroup, and Arthur Tildesley, head of Investor Relations, willfully "scripted" investor announcements to hide $39 billion of exposure to subprime debt; they were singled out and given SEC fines of $100,000 and $80,000 respectively [[Crittenden's total 2008 compensation was $12.2 million, a slap on the wrist, who knows Tildesly's fortunes). The rest of the bad apples who participated in this huge scam [[they were known to the SEC via e-mails obtained from the firm) were not named in the SEC order or fined. Crittenden and Tildesly were not barred from Wall Street for life. They are rich and free, able to work. Citigroup was fined $75 million, 1/520th of the subprime debt it sought to hide, but we mustn't forget how it received hundreds of billions of taxpayer money to keep it -- and its corrupt practices -- afloat.

But, hey, that's just little crimes involving $39 billion by some of the richest, most powerful people in this country. Much more important to get pissed off about some boozing and doping union members. Hahaha.

I was a union employee. they fought tooth and nail to get a employee rehired that accepted tuition reimbursement on classes she wasnt taking, and for sick time she wasnt sick [[too much partying). They fought over a year to get her rehired. Then When our jobs were in peril as a whole work group, they just OK'd it...... all of us unemployed. I dont understand. In my experience Unions are important to get benefits and perks, but usually protect those that least deserve it when push comes to shove.
    Last edited by n7hn; September-27-10 at 05:07 PM.

You didn't know that being rich and powerful comes with special privileges?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In another case, which has not received as much publicity, Gary Crittenden, CFO of Citigroup, and Arthur Tildesley, head of Investor Relations, willfully "scripted" investor announcements to hide $39 billion of exposure to subprime debt; they were singled out and given SEC fines of $100,000 and $80,000 respectively [[Crittenden's total 2008 compensation was $12.2 million, a slap on the wrist, who knows Tildesly's fortunes). The rest of the bad apples who participated in this huge scam [[they were known to the SEC via e-mails obtained from the firm) were not named in the SEC order or fined. Crittenden and Tildesly were not barred from Wall Street for life. They are rich and free, able to work. Citigroup was fined $75 million, 1/520th of the subprime debt it sought to hide, but we mustn't forget how it received hundreds of billions of taxpayer money to keep it -- and its corrupt practices -- afloat.

But, hey, that's just little crimes involving $39 billion by some of the richest, most powerful people in this country. Much more important to get pissed off about some boozing and doping union members. Hahaha.

So everyone gets their pound of flesh. The workers were fired, end of story. Now what about the plant managers, the foremen? Should they be fired as well? Since this has been ongoing for years surely they knew of the activities of their workers. They knew these guys were drinking on their lunch and they never disciplined the workers but now they are ready to throw them to the wolves as raw meat. Well, we got the public beheading that Fox 2 wanted us to see.

Several warehouse employees were fired from Art Van's headquarters as well [[same issue). Several more are currently being investigated.

So it seems the Chrysler incident has caused a domino effect.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    So everyone gets their pound of flesh. The workers were fired, end of story. Now what about the plant managers, the foremen? Should they be fired as well? Since this has been ongoing for years surely they knew of the activities of their workers. They knew these guys were drinking on their lunch and they never disciplined the workers but now they are ready to throw them to the wolves as raw meat. Well, we got the public beheading that Fox 2 wanted us to see.
    I still believe this was a marching order from NYC to satisfy those on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    And what about CEO's and all of their malfeasance? We just witnessed our entire economy go into the dumpster because of the criminal behavior of CEO's. How many of those were featured on the nightly news? What became of them? This is typical class warfare. These guys got a more severe punishent than Bush and his staff got for starting wars. Justice - there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The story isn't over yet. The affected employees are almost certainly going to contest their terminations through the grievance procedure afforded by their collective bargaining agreement. It will be interesting to see if the UAW advocates for them or simply goes through the motions.

If the UAW doesn't get on board, these guys will probably go shopping for lawyers. It would seem that the issue will be whether the CBA drug and alcohol use prohibitions cover off-premises activities, and/or whether Chrysler has to prove that they were impaired. [[Any lawyers got any opinions?) These guys aren't done yet but it will be tough for them if the UAW refuses to take their grievance past the initial level.
    Doubt we know all the details of the story.

Doubt these guys fired have the savings to throw out there for a retainer.

The way this story is getting played, these guys really screwed up.

They will get their jobs back. It may take a while even after contract time but they will be back. They were not on company property when enjoying themselves. No infractions!!!

CEOs get special treatment. If you want to be treated special then you must become rich and powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    And what about CEO's and all of their malfeasance? We just witnessed our entire economy go into the dumpster because of the criminal behavior of CEO's. How many of those were featured on the nightly news? What became of them? This is typical class warfare. These guys got a more severe punishent than Bush and his staff got for starting wars. Justice - there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    CEOs get special treatment. If you want to be treated special then you must become rich and powerful.
    I tried it once - a very long time ago. It didn't work, I hadn't attended Harvard.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I still believe this was a marching order from NYC to satisfy those on the right.
    I would ask the head honchos at Chrysler and at Fox 2 "News" where is the dignity? Some if not most of us know what it feel like to be "let go." It is a humbling experience knowing you are no longer wanted and it cuts deep and the least Chrysler could have done is preserve their dignity. Instead they went to the media to announce that the bad men were fired. That's cold.....

Like you said, FOX called for a public punishment, and they got it, public career capital punishment. Sometimes I am dismayed by the voyeuristic, vengeful natures that call for such treatment of humans.

I hope they sue Fox 2 for a zillion dollars. Such a bullshit story. Only an idiot would believe the way it went down.

I'm against getting buzzed on the job but this is stupidly draconian.

Getting re-hired after a firing ties in with the amount of seniority you have in a UAW location. Longer the seniority, the less time fired until you get back. Very low seniority...runs the risk of never getting re-hired.
    However with substance abuse involved....if they didn't already have a long track record, or they are doing confessions and its a first time offense, the odds of being permanently fired are very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    I was a union employee. they fought tooth and nail to get a employee rehired that accepted tuition reimbursement on classes she wasnt taking, and for sick time she wasnt sick [[too much partying). They fought over a year to get her rehired. Then When our jobs were in peril as a whole work group, they just OK'd it...... all of us unemployed. I dont understand. In my experience Unions are important to get benefits and perks, but usually protect those that least deserve it when push comes to shove.
    ITA! AFSCME fights like a junk yard dogs to ensure that incompetent/lazy/mean spirited employees keep their jobs, but can't do nothing about outsourcing.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Like you said, FOX called for a public punishment, and they got it, public career capital punishment. Sometimes I am dismayed by the voyeuristic, vengeful natures that call for such treatment of humans.
    Out in Hollywood we have a young girl who has thumbed her nose at authority. This girl has had break after break after break. This child has used cocaine, heroin, pills, alcohol, everything and yet they want to keep giving her a chance. We have the third-rated news station craft a hatchet job of a story and within 5 days, 13 men have been terminated and 2 have been suspended yet the girl was ordered to jail only to get out hours later because she had a good lawyer, she has some money and she has a name. Someone tell me why we should be happy that these men were fired?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast