Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Koepplinger's Bakery

My favorite egg bread was Koepplinger's. I would pick up a loaf or three from Farmer Jack whenever I was in town from Chicago. I checked the web and I see that they went out of business in 2004 [[probably soon after Farmer Jack). A company called Perfection Bakeries makes the brand today, but I only see five types of bread and two styles of buns. No egg bread.

Anybody know if Koepplinger's egg bread is still available? If you were a fan of their egg bread, where's a place that has the next best loaf?

I don't know about the egg bread. I've been looking for the Health Bread myself. I just checked Koepplinger's site and found this list:

http://www.koepplingersrecipe.com/index.htm

Where to Buy in Michigan
    BUSCH'S VALU LAND
    CARL'S MARKET
    D&W
    FAMILY FARE
    FARMER JACK
    FELPAUSCH
    FIVE STAR
    GLEN'S
    HARDING'S
    HILLER'S
    HOLLYWOOD MARKETS
    HORROCK'S
    KROGER Selected Stores
    L&L FOOD CENTERS
    LEPPINK'S FOOD CENTERS
    MEIJER
    OAKRIDGE MARKET
    OLESON'S FOOD
    PLUMBS
    POLLY'S
    RIC'S FOOD CENTERS
    ROUNDY'S
    SHOPPER'S MARKET
    SPARTAN STORES
    SUPER KMART
    TOM'S FOOD MARKETS
    VG'S
    VILLAGE MARKET
    WAL-MART Selected Stores

Neither of our preferred breads is on their product list though
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-27-10 at 02:56 PM.

Milano Bakery at Eastern Market makes great egg bread, it is also available at times in various supermarkets.

I always thought that Oaza Bakery had the best egg bread, but I think they have gone away.

Stans Market used to have some egg bread in their deli section.

The company that took over Koepplingers is a widget manufacturer. They haven't a clue. I spoke to them numerous times over the years after they bought Koepplingers. They changed the recipes and formulations of my favorites. They also denied it. I stopped buying their products a long time ago.

I tried the whole wheat since I couldn't find Health Bread, and it was mediocre. I made bread pudding with it since it made weak sandwiches and toast.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I tried the whole wheat since I couldn't find Health Bread, and it was mediocre. I made bread pudding with it since it made weak sandwiches and toast.
    Koepplingers original Whole Wheat was the best OTC bread you could buy. The new company kept it for a short while and changed it, lieing in the process, 'Oh no, we haven't changed anything about your favorite hometown bread'.

The texture was very soft and airy, while the original had some heft to it. The taste was bland and it didn't react as well to butter either.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I just checked Koepplinger's site and found this list:

http://www.koepplingersrecipe.com/index.htm
    Farmer Jack is still on that list . I clicked Hiller's since it's near my parents' house in WB and Koepplinger's did not come up when I searched their site. I was lazy and did not try more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    The new company kept it for a short while and changed it, lying in the process, 'Oh no, we haven't changed anything about your favorite hometown bread'.
    This reminds me of when I took the Coca Cola tour in Atlanta. I went to Paris six months before Atlanta and I drank Coca Cola Light for a whole week. It is excellent and not like Diet Coke or Coke Zero. I heard that the Coke tour ends in a room full of fountain drinks from around the world. I looked all over the room and I couldn't find Coca Cola Light. I asked one of the employees and she said, "Oh, that's just Diet Coke".

Koepplingers Country French was the only bread in my folks house for years, Yet there was another kind of their bread we ate before that. We called it bug bread as we found a bug in it on a couple different occasions. The rep came out and gave us a couple new loafs. I did like their bread. But as it is now its mainly the 10 for $10 bread from Kroger thats in my house.