Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Joseph German Festival

Boy what a time it was. The celebration of all things German featured reasonably priced German fare including sausages, sweet pickled beets; saurkraut flavored with sausage; German style potato salad;,assorted cakes and strudel ,and German beer.Attendance was WAY up from two years ago, and the organizers were well prepared for the additional partiers. There was a real live German guy in Liedrhausen? jamming German tunes on an accordian in a large tent that later featured a local band. A traveling troupe of young dancers demonstrated traditional dances, and an after choir concert tour of the belltower [[spire) was given following the event. The recreation building featured historical pictures and articles-aritfacts detailing the history of the congregation. Seems some of the older residents moved during the urban renewal period and in the seventies moved back to the old neighborhood when they entered retirement,and a roster of names of financial donors from the 1870's was displayed. I noticed an individual that shared my last name. The Gothic style church is an ornate-architecturally sound masterpiece, a must see for Detroitophiles.

I was there with a friend. We didn't go to the concert, though. It was my fourth St. Joseph Oktoberfest I believe. It's always fun and a beautiful church to tour.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    ....... a roster of names of financial donors from the 1870's was displayed........
    Here's a photo I took four years ago of that handwritten document, which is framed and hangs on the wall of the parish's social hall. It had been rolled up and stashed away in the rafters of the church and was discovered many years later when workers went up there to repair a leak in the roof [[the roof leak caused that water stain on the document). I was told that these people donated money to fund the construction of the bell tower and spire, which began 10 years after construction of the church proper was completed in 1873. The list shows that my great-great-grandfather's brother contributed $30 towards the construction.
    [for more information, visit the History of St. Joseph Parish]

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Here's a photo I took four years ago of that handwritten document, which is framed and hangs on the wall of the parish's social hall. It had been rolled up and stashed away in the rafters of the church and was discovered many years later when workers went up there to repair a leak in the roof [[the roof leak caused that water stain on the document). I was told that these people donated money to fund the construction of the bell tower and spire, which began 10 years after construction of the church proper was completed in 1873. The list shows that my great-great-grandfather's brother contributed $30 towards the construction.
    Wow, that old-fashioned German handwriting at the top is hard to decipher. I wonder why the names are written in "Latin" script?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Yep thats it. Thanks for the photo and link Mikeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Wow, that old-fashioned German handwriting at the top is hard to decipher. I wonder why the names are written in "Latin" script?
    Gothic Script is very difficult to read. It was taught in German schools well into the 1930's. I have letters from my Grandmother to my Mother written in Gothic script... and it is very difficult to make out.

This was our first time and we had a blast.
    We're trying to hit a different Catholic church in Detroit each Sunday and we plan to hit St. Joesph in two weeks.
    Next Sunday is the monthly mass at St. Albertus.

How large was the German community in Detroit?
    Is there a particular area in the suburbs that people of German decent congregated?
    Last edited by rjk; September-27-10 at 05:11 PM.

I really really wanted to go this weekend but got tied up elsewhere...Just found out about this German Church a few weeks ago and I am all excited to check it out. Getting back in touch with the ole German roots , my daddy would be so proud