Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "If I ever get fat, I'll move to Detroit"

'round 5:30 PM there's a newish talk show host named Bill Caroll from Scotland by way of Vancouver[[tho w/no charming dialect like Craig Ferguson) but after a routine aboutr weigh gain the dj starts slagging off on The D, then grilling the health expert before throwing in "if I ever find myself really fat, I'll just move to Detroit. You ever been there? The people there are MASSIVE! I'll blend right in" I've been all over & in trms of BMI i didn't ever think of Detroit being that bad...

http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/BillCarroll.html
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/f...o-carroll.html

And have lots of babies.

I didn't really notice it until I really began traveling outside of the state/area. Yes, the region is definitely a bit on the larger side.

Is there any problem we don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Is there any problem we don't have?
    We certainly don't have an overpopulation problem [[which we would probably treat as a blessing from god).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    'round 5:30 PM there's a newish talk show host named Bill Caroll from Scotland by way of Vancouver[[tho w/no charming dialect like Craig Ferguson) but after a routine aboutr weigh gain the dj starts slagging off on The D, then grilling the health expert before throwing in "if I ever find myself really fat, I'll just move to Detroit. You ever been there? The people there are MASSIVE! I'll blend right in" I've been all over & in trms of BMI i didn't ever think of Detroit being that bad...

http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/BillCarroll.html
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/f...o-carroll.html
    Never heard of him.

Giving these people any acknowledgment, only encourages them.

Look at "Pastor" Jones, to see what I mean.

Default Fat Folks' Heaven

In my experience, he would be better off going to South Bend. Squeeae your way into the local Bob Evans on Sunday morning to see more fat folks per square foot than elsewhere in the Western world.

I am bringing the statistic for Detroit obesity down, I am 6' 1" and weigh 140-145 lbs. Don't mess with me!

low graduation rates, limited access to unprocessed foods, poverty...anyone see a pattern?

Detroit is the fattest city in America, according to some rankings.

But Texas has like 5 cities in the top 10. Perhaps he should move there.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I am bringing the statistic for Detroit obesity down, I am 6' 1" and weigh 140-145 lbs. Don't mess with me!
    Don't mess with you - how about don't point a room fan on 'high' at you, it will send you sailing off into the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Don't mess with you - how about don't point a room fan on 'high' at you, it will send you sailing off into the distance.
    Point. but medium works too.

Of course the real issue underlying this is that it's actually expensive to eat healthy in America these days, and Detroit is a very poor region.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Of course the real issue underlying this is that it's actually expensive to eat healthy in America these days, and Detroit is a very poor region.
    People are most likely getting fat from the juices and soft drinks instead of the food. A person who changed nothing in their daily diet other than consuming a 12 ounce can of soda, instead of water 3 times each day [[number of daily meals), would add roughly 120,500 calories over the course of a year... That would translate to more than 33 lbs over the year, if the person didn't also increase their daily activity to burn those excess calories.

I think Americans consumption of soft drinks versus water has been the most dramatic change to the American diet over the past generation, so by extension this is probably the biggest factor in America's ever expanding waistline.

The sedentary lifestyles of Metro Detroiters probably doesn't help much to burn off the excess calories consumed through soft drinks. But Metro Detroiters sedentary lifestyles are probably more linked to cardiovascular diseases and diabetes than it is to scale readings.

The NYT published a pretty good article earlier this year that showed exercise alone had minimal effects on weight loss. Buried in the details, the researchers concluded that the human body is pretty efficient at controlling for when calories are needed and not needed, so sedentary people aren't that much more likely to be fat than active people. But it's not much of a stretch to imagine that the body's calorie gauge is missing the excess calories consumed through liquids, since water doesn't have calories.

I'll have a quarter pounder with cheese and bacon. I'm loving it......

Its much easier for many to drive to the mackeydees than make a decent meal at home. It's too bad and the kids suffer the most IMO. I'm trying to avoid the crap as much as possible.
    I have a 4 year old daughter and its wild to watch how they get hooked lined and sinkered for that happy meal crap because of the toy "yummy" food.

It's the Polish food. And the Soul Food. And the Fast Food.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    It's the Polish food. And the Soul Food. And the Fast Food.
    ^This. Although I'd take this with a grain of salt. We could stand to lose some weight, but pound for pound, not even Detroit has anything on the Deep South.

Seriously, you should seem some of the people here in Houston. And I'm sorry, but healthy fresh food is NOT more expensive than fast food or processed food, it just takes longer to cook and requires a bit of know how.