Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

Default Vandals and Graffiti

More reason why people are leaving Detroit in the hundreds....
    vandals spraypainting their homes, high taxes....and no response
    from the DPD. Maybe Godbee will see this and hire more cops!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...e%27s-New-Home

I just can't believe what was said at the end, how she was told vandalism wasn't a priority and that an officer would not be sent.

Good luck in getting people to move to your city.

Godbee can't hire more cops, the budget is not growing. He can't control the budget thats up to the mayor, council, and citizens.

Tragic... this bodes well the reasoning of some who've just thrown up their hands and left the city. Looks like the 'vandals' and the 'scrapper's had some time at this house. The new occupants might as well get the bars, and steel doors up now. It can be argued that they've been given the 'heads up'. The police made their position crystal clear.

I'd try to talk to the neighbors too, but it could be their doing. I'd still inquire to further obtain information in making a decision to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    More reason why people are leaving Detroit in the hundreds....
    vandals spraypainting their homes, high taxes....and no response
    from the DPD. Maybe Godbee will see this and hire more cops!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...e%27s-New-Home
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-26-10 at 06:45 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Tragic... this bodes well the reasoning of some who've just thrown up their hands and left the city. Looks like the 'vandals' and the 'scrapper's had some time at this house. The new occupants might as well get the bars, and steel doors up now. It can be argued that they've been given the 'heads up'. The police made their position crystal clear.

I'd try to talk to the neighbors too, but it could be their doing. I'd still inquire as further obtain information in making a decision to stay.
    This sort of nonsense is why I divested myself of all property within the city of Detroit earlier in this decade. It just isn't worth the hassle and the expense.

True that. Sewing and reaping indeed! Back in the days of the Kwame Inc. 'friends and family' looting of the cities coffers with the delayed audits that helped cover the stealing etc... ETC.

Lack of core service like fire and police is but an outworking/ reaping, now that the cash flow is less.

This is only a sample of the consequence 'can' contents -- kicked down the road....

Into the future, when the funds would be eroded to crucial levels. We're into that FUTURE. NOW.

Coupled with an ever-diminishing tax-base as more middle class Detroiters leave... less monies to go around.

Where's the 'justification' now?
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Godbee can't hire more cops, the budget is not growing. He can't control the budget thats up to the mayor, council, and citizens.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-26-10 at 06:44 PM.

I know, a family member of mine sold his share [[in 2005) of an otherwise potentially wonderful investment apartment building after several episodes like this and other life-threatening drama. Lack of city support and policing and "no snitchin'" mentality was the last straw for him... Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    This sort of nonsense is why I divested myself of all property within the city of Detroit earlier in this decade. It just isn't worth the hassle and the expense.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-26-10 at 06:49 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I know, a family member of mine sold his share [[in 2005) of an otherwise potentially wonderful investment apartment building after several episodes like this and other life-threatening drama. Lack of city support and policing was the last straw for him... causing him to give up. Sad.
    The problem I had was that the agent I hired to handle the rent collection and manage the properties quit due to the BS and threats against his life he kept getting from the tenants. I didn't want my employee to die for his job.

I found someone willing to buy my entire portfolio of Detroit properties and I rid myself of the hassles, The threats against my employees life, and the cumulative total of over $90,000 a year in property taxes.

Very similar to my family members experience. Yep, an all too common story.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The problem I had was that the agent I hired to handle the rent collection and manage the properties quit due to the BS and threats against his life he kept getting from the tenants. I didn't want my employee to die for his job.

I found someone willing to buy my entire portfolio of Detroit properties and I rid myself of the hassles, The threats against my employees life, and the cumulative total of over $90,000 a year in property taxes.

The couple have called police but say they were told graffiti on your home is not a priority call and that an officer would not be sent out to investigate.

"Is homicide still a priority call? I'll call back when I catch them. Thanks!"

DetroitDad Guest

Default A Call To Action

Right, the people that are actively campaigning to make our cities worse, never take a day off. The police of which we hired do not have the resources to both maintain and rebuild. Children are dying. Fathers and mothers are resorting to prostitution and drug dealing. The elderly are prisoners in their own homes. Our government is filled with corruption. History is being destroyed. The problems are spreading like a silent pandemic across our state.

Let's all move to Atlanta!

But, before we do, would some of you be willing to lend a hand or a dollar if I were to write or call Fox 2 News and offer to assist in cleaning up this couples home? If you rather not volunteer openly, feel free to use the private message option of this site.

LOL! I ain't going to Atlanta. I can visit family there whenever I choose, but not my idea of home. What would it take to remove that stuff from off of siding...? I PM'd you...
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Right, the people that are actively campaigning to make our cities worse, never take a day off. The police of which we hired do not have the resources to both maintain and rebuild. Children are dying. Fathers and mothers are resorting to prostitution and drug dealing. The elderly are prisoners in their own homes. Our government is filled with corruption. History is being destroyed. The problems are spreading like a silent pandemic across our state.

Let's all move to Atlanta!

But, before we do, would some of you be willing to lend a hand or a dollar if I were to write or call Fox 2 News and offer to assist in cleaning up this couples home? If you rather not volunteer openly, feel free to use the private message option of this site.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-26-10 at 08:34 PM.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Maybe not, but he can be a big influence as far as the Mayor, clowncil and the citizens are concerned. The City has the money from the Federal Government to hire more cops, they just had a group of 30 take the physical test at the Light Guard Armory a few weeks ago, the City paid for the test themselves, and most of the participants have taken the test 4 times already [[it expires after 6 mos.). It's either a ploy by the city to show the Feds they are making an effort to hire more cops to keep the feds at arm's length and out of their business, or they are really going to hire some qualified people to train. I have a feeling that the City is going to use the money for "other" reasons...like lining someone's pockets, landscaping at the home of some appointee, or taking an extended vacation to some exotic land. After all, Detroit politicians are known for their extravagances while the City rots.

In response to this Fox article, I think that the fabric of a decent law abiding society is slowly breaking down. Less police due to declining revenue, no jobs, vandals with more balls and a government that is overwhelmed with other issues......and if a disaster were to happen it will come sooner rather than later......eventually there will be a complete breakdown and God help us all when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    In response to this Fox article, I think that the fabric of a decent law abiding society is slowly breaking down. Less police due to declining revenue, no jobs, vandals with more balls and a government that is overwhelmed with other issues......and if a disaster were to happen it will come sooner rather than later......eventually there will be a complete breakdown and God help us all when that happens.
    Searay, good points. Are we not already living amidst a complete breakdown? Isn't the government "our" city's disaster? If so, we really could use God's help in more ways than one right now. Seems we are in a ship that's taking on an awful lot of water.....

Aw shucks - that sounds very conspiratorial... NOT!

A 'conspiracy' usually applies something in secret!

Most graft and corruption in the city is right out in the open... and ballsy. So this sounds 'bout right - for certain plausible. Perhaps we can make an appeal to the 'clownsil' to please deliver the funds appropriately so we can get some mo' cops!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Maybe not, but he can be a big influence as far as the Mayor, clowncil and the citizens are concerned. The City has the money from the Federal Government to hire more cops, they just had a group of 30 take the physical test at the Light Guard Armory a few weeks ago, the City paid for the test themselves, and most of the participants have taken the test 4 times already [[it expires after 6 mos.). It's either a ploy by the city to show the Feds they are making an effort to hire more cops to keep the feds at arm's length and out of their business, or they are really going to hire some qualified people to train. I have a feeling that the City is going to use the money for "other" reasons...like lining someone's pockets, landscaping at the home of some appointee, or taking an extended vacation to some exotic land. After all, Detroit politicians are known for their extravagances while the City rots.

Toolbox Guest

A nice lay up and one of these would be a start to ending somethings.

Careful what you post about this subject.

There are those on this board who insist that graffiti is an art form to be respected.

I am not one of them.

^ I seriously don't think anyone could justify tagging up a house.

BTW, there is isn't a place in the US you can be safe from graffiti. It's an act that doesn't create much noise, and doesn't require an individual to break in. They can get away with only leaving evidence of paint on the wall. Because of that, this stuff can go up everywhere. Check out this wall that got tagged in Chicago's Millennium Park.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-84983812.html

High profile landmark
    Cameras everywhere
    Busy street, even at night
    Right downtown

----
    While you can't be safe from vandalism, at least most places will get police response.

This is yet another example of why I feel that the large and medium sized cities in this nation need to be federally funded. No American city should have to choose between properly staffing a police department to protect its citizens and educating our kids. In the age we live, isn't it kinda important to secure & protect the largest American city that sits on an international border? To hell with Afghanistan, if Bin Laden wants to avoid capture he could be walking the streets of Detroit, spray painting "Al Qaeda" all over the place.

Where are all the graffiti defenders? Should we just not give a fuck because after all these fuckwads are just artists trying to find a way to express themselves? Oh yeah thats right you get to pick and choose what you want to defend.

Just some real quick sherlocking on my part. This "dream house" was boarded up -the graffiti goes over the boards. So I'm really doubting this couple was just minutes away from moving in. So is this perhaps a sensational story of a couple who bought a house unseen or didn't do a final walk through?

Sure, it sucks that people jack around with other people's property, but is this newsworthy? I'm sure somewhere in the Detroit area a volunteer brought a smile to a senior living in a home or a tree was planted in somebody's honor.

I'm not saying ignore the problem but this is like a newspaper running the headline "JFK is Dead" today. No-s@#t sherlock, you don't say. This is not news.

I have lived in Lafayette Park in downtown Detroit for 20 years and just in the last two years I have seen a great increase in grafitti. There was one long brick wall which remained untouched for all that time and is now getting covered. When the Dequindre Cut opened, they left the graffitti there and are encouraging more but it is now being put on everything. I assume people are coming here for that exact reason. I have asked people about this and some people just shrug and look helpless and some people say it's art and some people say we need to celebrate the city's grittiness. It doesn't sound like the people here thing it's art.

To get practical for a moment, there are graffiti-resistant coatings available.

I recall a Nat Geo show some years back about the Egyptian pyramids, and how they are rife with 18th and 19th century graffiti.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast