Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

gdogslim Guest

Default census report 2010 maps of cities by race

Here is a map based on 2010 census data of detroit from
    a british digital cartographer, Eric Fischer who color-coded census data based on race, with whites represented by pink, blacks by blue, Hispanic by orange and Asians by green

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz10bduLWxu

Detailed, full-size Detroit map can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking...7624812674967/

DetroitPole Guest

What the fuck? That is 2000, not 2010. That hasn't been released yet, let alone plotted.

Paging Danny

Funny how the black family down the street is a blue dot.But the blue dot is in the Temple Beth-El parking lot!They live in a nice suburban Bloomfield TWP.house,they are humans,not blue dots.I would like to see these maps from 1920 to 2000.Looks like the "blacks following Jews to Lansing" parade is still in motion.Danny?

Apparently, there's a large Asian family living on a boat in Orchard Lake.

Census 2010 data are not available. Census 2010 population counts for entire states will be
    released sometime beteen tht 24th and 31st of December this year. Counts for local areas down to to city blocks with information about race will be released on or before March 31, 2011.

gdogslim Guest

oops, my bad, i missed the end of the article's date, i don't know why it's considered news then.
    but it looks like the info will be available no later than 12/31/2010 according to the census website

Where are the American Indians? We never get our own dots

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Apparently, there's a large Asian family living on a boat in Orchard Lake.
    As someone who has worked on writing GIS [[electronic mapping) software for the past three years I am going to guess that the points are at or near the centroid points for counties [[or possibly census tracts, if had the data to that level of resolution) and the center of that particular unit happens to fall in the middle of the lake.

Still a very interesting map. I'm going to show it to the folks at work tomorrow.

In looking at Windsor I'm going to assume that Canadians are represented with white dots.

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    In looking at Windsor I'm going to assume that Canadians are represented with white dots.
    No, they are swowed under.

What's with all the dots in the river?

Quote Originally Posted by thnk2mch View Post
    What's with all the dots in the river?
    Do you mean Grosse Ile?

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Do you mean Grosse Ile?

Nope, I mean the river. And some in Lake St.Clair also.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Where are the American Indians? We never get our own dots
    It does seem unfair. In his ancient homeland, the native is considered "other."