Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default David Stockman supports letting tax cuts expire

David Stockman was President Reagan's OMB Director. What he says in a nutshell is that we couldn't afford the Bush tax cuts when they were enacted, and we can't afford them now. He says the Republican Pledge is half right and half-baked. He also says they AND Obama are being disingenuous in their approaches to the economic problems we are having. Interesting interview by Guy Raz for NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130126335

This may be the first time I've agreed with anything from the Reagan administration. You never know...
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-25-10 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    David Stockman was President Reagan's OMB Director. ......
    This may be the first time I've agreed with anything from the Reagan administration. You never know...
    Less than a full year into Reagan's first term, Mr. Stockman was quoted as saying: "None of us really understands what's going on with all these numbers." That episode led to the OMB Director's infamous "trip to the woodshed" with the President. Stockman never believed in the Reagan Administration's embrace of supply-side economics, so it's no surprise that he doesn't support the Bush tax cuts.

Geesh! Read the article.

"Dr. LAWRENCE HUNTER [[Senior Fellow, Americans for Prosperity; President, Social Security Institute): My name is Lawrence Hunter, and I was a minority staff director of the Joint Economic Committee during the writing of Contract with America. And I had a responsibility for writing one piece of it.... It was clearly understood that the point was to win back the House. There is no doubt about that. But the thing that was unique about it[the Pledge to America], I believe, is that Gingrich and army actually used policy as the mechanism that in their mind that we could use a policy-centric contract agenda and present it to the country as a Contract with America, and use that to rally voters around electing Republicans... "

It isn't just about Stockman.

Yes, it pretty much points out the whole smoke and mirrors thing. I liked how Stockman laid out the reasons the Pledge won't work. We have a dearth of reasons and a whole boatload of slogans on both sides of the aisle.

Mikeg: Stockman never believed in the Reagan Administration's embrace of supply-side economics, so it's no surprise that he doesn't support the Bush tax cuts.
    Is it any wonder given what he had to deal with.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all
    TO illustrate the problem of cutting Government spending, David A. Stockman, then director of the budget, gave President Reagan a multiple-choice quiz. In about 50 spending categories the President could choose a 'nick,' a moderate cut, or a 'whack.' This wasn't at the beginning; this was two years into the Administration, when the deficit was running over $100 billion a year. 'The President enjoyed the quiz immensely,'' Mr. Stockman writes. ''He sat there day after day with his pencil.' But in the end, thanks to too many nicks and not enough whacks, the President's report card showed a projected five-year deficit of $800 billion. Yet when Mr. Stockman then suggested it was time to think about a tax increase, President Reagan pounded his fist on the table. 'I don't want to hear any more talk about taxes. The problem is deficit spending!'' ..."
    Last edited by maxx; September-26-10 at 12:33 PM.

gdogslim Guest

Reagan probably had the most successful presidency of the last 150 years. Obama is doing almost everything opposite of what Reagan would do.
    You don't turn a country around by scaring employers with higher taxes, regulations, telling companies what to make, people what to buy, eat, wear, drive, smoke, etc etc. Or by ruining the best health care system ever, by forcing people to buy health care they don't want.

What IS and most likely will [[like Greece) bankrupt this country is the 40 TRILLION or so of unfunded soc. security, 30 TRILLION +- of unfunded Medicaid Medicare; Trillions of unfunded pensions and trillions of entitlement spending on people who don't want to pay for what they want or need. In other words, government spending and promising what it can't afford.
    I now how to spend my money better than some ivory league tower bureaucrat with his head in his ass.
    Last edited by gdogslim; September-29-10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: accidently hit enter

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Reagan probably had the most successful presidency of the last 150 years. Obama is doing almost everything opposite of what Reagan would do.
    You don't turn a country around by scaring employers with higher taxes, regulations, telling companies what to make, people what to buy, eat, wear, drive, smoke, etc etc. Or by ruining the best health care system ever, by forcing people to buy health care they don't want.

What IS and most likely will [[like Greece) bankrupt this country is the 40 TRILLION or so of unfunded soc. security, 30 TRILLION +- of unfunded Medicaid Medicare; Trillions of unfunded pensions and trillions of entitlement spending on people who don't want to pay for what they want or need. In other words, government spending and promising what it can't afford.
    I now how to spend my money better than some ivory league tower bureaucrat with his head in his ass.
    "Ivory league tower bureaucrat?" Are you for real, or is this just satire flying straight over my head?

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Shit. You don't even KNOW how to spell the word "know".

gdogslim: Or by ruining the best health care system ever, by forcing people to buy health care they don't want.
    The healthcare system was in a tailspin with premiums rising and people being denied coverage because they didn't report trivial ailments like headaches and yeast infections. And that all began with the HMOs in the Nixon admin.
    And no doubt, you are prepared to pay all your own medical bills without any need for insurance.