Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Packard Proving Ground - Fall Open House

If you missed our Spring Open House at the PPG, then you won't want to miss our Fall Open House on Sunday, October 17, 2010 with free cider, donuts and the JOHNNY TRUDELL BAND.

Sunday, October 17, 2010
    1:00 p.m. – 5:00 pm.
    Admission: Free* - Everyone Welcome
    Refreshments, cider and donuts, tours, bake sale, raffle, pony rides, petting zoo, balloons - fun for all. WW II and Ham Radio history exhibits. Our gift shop will be open with many new items.Take a "Taxi" Ride in a classic Packard [[weather permitting)

LIVE MUSIC by Johnny Trudell's band

Sponsored by Ankara Industries Inc
    Packards will be on display
    100+ Collector vehicles of all types expected
    All collector vehicles are welcome here – display area provided,
    no registration fees*, no judging, just cruise in and enjoy.

*Your generous donations will be graciously accepted to help defray our costs
    Questions? Contact the Site [[586) 739-4800

If anyone missed the fun the last time, here's the thread about the spring opening.

If that is not an appetizer! So sorry I live on the other side of the Atlantic. I would have been there.

To Whitehouse:

Thanks for reposting the thread from the Spring Open House at the PPG - a lot of great photos were posted there by DYes members.

Here is a link to the 2009 PPG Fall Open House:
    http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Open%...9%20photos.htm

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    To Whitehouse:

Thanks for reposting the thread from the Spring Open House at the PPG - a lot of great photos were posted there by DYes members.

Here is a link to the 2009 PPG Fall Open House:
    http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Open%...9%20photos.htm

Thanks.
    Is Miss America X now a static display spending her twilight years in the museum or do they still let her loose in the water sometimes? Strange that she doesn't have her own wikipage in English. There is one in Italian.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; September-26-10 at 09:31 AM.

Hello Whitehouse:

Currently Miss America X is a static display and does not go in the water. But, I understand all the bits are there and with more tinkering and money it should be able to run on her own.

The boat is not in a museum, per se. Rather she is in climate controlled storage and the owners show her off at appropriate venues with volunteer help from the Algonac - Clay Township Historical Society. Please click onto this link:
    http://www.achistory.com/ach1/index....d=69&Itemid=86

If you want a great story of Miss America X in the 1932 Harmsworth Trophy Race you need to read this:
    http://www.lesliefield.com/other_his..._america_x.htm

I know you are across the Atlantic [[Netherlands?) but for those planning to attend the Fall Open House I am not sure that Miss America X will be there on Sunday, October 17. I will have to check.

Bumping this up on the list to remind everyone about the Packard Proving Grounds FREE Open House.

When: Sunday, October 17
    Time: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
    Where: The PPG is located on the west side of Van Dyke between 22 Mile Rd. and 23 Mile Road. Look for the Packard Water Tower

For more details click on our web site: http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Fall%20Open%20House%2010-17-10%20Flyer.pdf

Thanks,

OK, I am shameless about bumping up my notice of the FREE Open House at the Packard Proving Grounds.

Did I mention we will have live music provided by the JOHNNY TRUDELL ORCHESTRA.

See you a week from today at the PPG on Van Dyke between 22 and 23 Mile Roads.

This is the last bump - I swear. You folks have been very patient with me.

The weather forecast for Sunday could not be better. Sunny all day and a high in the middle 60's.

We are expecting two dozen Packards - mostly pre-war models and over hundred other collector cars at the Proving Grounds. While theMiss America race boat will not be on display, we do expect to see the Twin Pines DIVCO Milk Truck and the Casual T's [[Ford Model T's) to drop on by.

Hope to see you there. Look for my maroon 1941 Convertible Sedan with the tan cloth top and say hello.

Thanks.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    This is the last bump - I swear. You folks have been very patient with me.

The weather forecast for Sunday could not be better. Sunny all day and a high in the middle 60's.

We are expecting two dozen Packards - mostly pre-war models and over hundred other collector cars at the Proving Grounds. While theMiss America race boat will not be on display, we do expect to see the Twin Pines DIVCO Milk Truck and the Casual T's [[Ford Model T's) to drop on by.

Hope to see you there. Look for my maroon 1941 Convertible Sedan with the tan cloth top and say hello.

Thanks.
    The guys with the Twin Pines truck also have scale replicas of the truck for sale. Ed Golick offers them for sale on his website, too.

Hope to see you there.
    I'll be there and it sounds like my adult son will be joining me!

My family and I will be there, along with my brother in laws family as well.

Nice event and a big crowd today. I dropped a few bucks in the jar by the fire engine rides for you all.

Greetings,
    I don't post much, but I must say that this event was a GREAT time. My family and I had a lot of fun. Far more stuff there than I imagined. The kids loved the tour of the living quarters and the fire engine rides. Plus the drive in the taxi was very great also. If you went to the car show, ours was the turquoise/white Dodge van. Man those Packards were some beautiful cars. I really liked the navy blue '48 and the white '37. Oh yeah, don't forget the green one with the rumble seat...did you know that Packard also made a pickup truck? Man, that group did a great job today. I was happy to make some donations.

Tim

What a great event..the kids loved the pony rides and the Big wheel bike...we enjoyed the history of the buildings and the lodge tour was a real history lesson. We donated to local military history group that show cases what Michigan did for the war effort and will glady be members of that orginization. We donated some bucks, I wish we could have given more to support the wonderful group of people who put this on, and we are making this a spring and fall visit from now on.
    Last edited by ja!mz; October-17-10 at 08:56 PM. Reason: sp

I want to thank everyone for coming out to the PPG and showing your support. Your kind words about your visit keep the volunteers inspired and your donations keep us moving forward on our mission to restore this historic site.

This has to be our largest open house ever! The weather was fantastic and we had 37 Packards on display and a total of 267 people registered their collector cars for exhibition on the boulevard. We lost count on the number of people that came through the front gates, but one estimate was over 1,500.

I had a chance to meet several DetroitYes'ers including Bill and MikeG [[and his son).

I was so busy that I did not have a chance to take any photos. If you did take photos, then would you mind sharing them with the group?

We will do this again in the spring and again, thanks for your support.

I'm so sorry that I missed this event! I will try to attend in the spring and I hope to bring my 1984 Chevy Cavalier convertible. I will also ask a friend who has an 85 Cavalier Convertible. A lot of people like to check out our cars, since there are not very many Cavalier Convertibles from that era still on the road.

From the open house

I took some photos that I will post in a few days. My main PC is currently out of commission.

More pix from the event:

Any news if there will be a spring open house at the Packard proving grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Any news if there will be a spring open house at the Packard proving grounds?
    When in doubt, use Google.

http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Coming%20Events.htm

Sunday, May 1, 2011 - Spring Open House. 1:00 - 5:00 P.M.

Thanks Pam

Pam, thanks for answering for ja!mz - I was offline and did not see his question over the weekend.

Yes, the PPG will have an Open House on Sunday, May 1 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Johnny Trudell Orchesta will back

Petting Zoo will be back

The Firetruck will be back

The Big Wheel will be back

The Cruise By Car Show will be back for ANYBODY with a collector car will have special parking

And the Packard Club will be there with some of the member's cars

Bake Sale and Raffles all afternoon

Hot Dogs, Pop, Water and Chips will be available for purchase at a modest cost.

Everything else is FREE. But we would never turn down a donation.

Sunday October 17? Or, Sunday October 16?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast