Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where's Dave Bing?

Dave Bing has missed several events recently. A youth group and a WJR interview. Is this just because Jesse Jackson came to Detroit to endorse him?
    Jesse might be seen as an outsider and a "hired gun" to get Dave over the finish line. If nothing else, it shows Bing has scheduling problems already and perhaps he can't handle the job.
    What's your take on his no shows so close to the election?

I saw Bing pressing the flesh at Eastern Market on Saturday.

Default Horrible Strategy

Doesn't speak well for Mr. Bing. Not sure how much credibility Rev. Jackson has anymore either.

dexterferry Guest

is anyone else weirded out by all the cockrel shills on detroityes recently?

Shills?
    Supporter here.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    is anyone else weirded out by all the cockrel shills on detroityes recently?
    Yes.

Homer:
    The difference between a supporter and a shill is that a shill doesn't worry about logical consistency.

• When people criticize Dave Bing for not disclosing those who are advising him on a possible transition, but ignore the fact that Ken Cockrel also had a similar group of advisers last year that he refused to name, they are acting as shills.
    • When people attempt to blame Kwame Kilpatrick's special contracts for "friends and family", but forget to mention that Ken Cockrel voted to approve those contracts while he was President of the City Council, they are acting as shills.
    • When people blame Ken Cockrel's lack of accomplishments on the City's budget problems, but ignore the fact that the City Council - under Mr. Cockrel's presidency - is responsible for approving said budget, they are acting as shills.

If anyone wants to argue that the mini-stations that Mr. Cockrel opened are so great that we should overlook every other short-coming that he has, then he or she can rightfully call themselves supporters. The others tend to run into shill territory.

dexterferry Guest

it's one thing to be a supporter. it's another thing to come on here and offer up some unsubstantiated and unflattering info on Bing for "discussion."

it's one thing to be a supporter. it's another thing to come on here and offer up some unsubstantiated and unflattering info on Bing for "discussion."
    What are you refering to ?

The no shows ? That might be unflattering but I don't think thats unsubstantiated, and understanding Mr. Jackson he may be a "hired gun" after all he's here for the NAACP dinner and the connection between that Mr. Anthony and the Famie Lou Hamer PAC makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Yes.

Homer:
    The difference between a supporter and a shill is that a shill doesn't worry about logical consistency.

• When people criticize Dave Bing for not disclosing those who are advising him on a possible transition, but ignore the fact that Ken Cockrel also had a similar group of advisers last year that he refused to name, they are acting as shills.
    • When people attempt to blame Kwame Kilpatrick's special contracts for "friends and family", but forget to mention that Ken Cockrel voted to approve those contracts while he was President of the City Council, they are acting as shills.
    • When people blame Ken Cockrel's lack of accomplishments on the City's budget problems, but ignore the fact that the City Council - under Mr. Cockrel's presidency - is responsible for approving said budget, they are acting as shills.

If anyone wants to argue that the mini-stations that Mr. Cockrel opened are so great that we should overlook every other short-coming that he has, then he or she can rightfully call themselves supporters. The others tend to run into shill territory.
    I don't recall Cockrel claiming he held an MBA that was purely fictional. Bing might make a better mayor than Cockrel, but I find it very hard to defend Bing's integrity.

Am I a shill now?

It will be interesting to see what kind of turn out there is for this election. I don't think it makes much difference who wins either.
    With the budget in such a mess, there isn't any money for doing much of anything.
    The best the winner can do is provide some moral leadership and get the finances under control.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    It will be interesting to see what kind of turn out there is for this election. I don't think it makes much difference who wins either.
    With the budget in such a mess, there isn't any money for doing much of anything.
    The best the winner can do is provide some moral leadership and get the finances under control.
    I agree, actually its good to have two decent choices for mayor. I not saying both are great but If my candidate doesn't win I still think we will be in decent hands.
    One other thing the winner can and should provide over the remainder of KK's term and that is a vision of what Detroit's going to look like 5,10, even 15 years from now and some ideas as to how to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal_Son View Post
    I don't recall Cockrel claiming he held an MBA that was purely fictional. Bing might make a better mayor than Cockrel, but I find it very hard to defend Bing's integrity.

Am I a shill now?
    I don't recall Mr. Bing signing an affidavit; swearing under oath that he did not owe any campaign fines when he actually owed more than $40,000. Let's just say that both candidates have had instances of selective memory.

As for which candidate would make a better mayor, we know that Mr. Cockrel has been in office for 8 months. The best he has been able to do in that time was open a few mini-stations. That's pretty lame, in my opinion.

Mr. Bing is admittedly a roll of the dice. If Mr. Cockrel had accomplished something meaningful during his 8 months in office - or if he had done a better job on the City Council - then I'd be far more inclined to let him stay in office. However, when the City's needs are as great as they currently are and Mr. Cockrel's job performance is as low as it is, I believe the only sane course of action is roll the dice on the new guy.

Wost case scenario: he turns out to be just as useless as Mr. Cockrel currently is. In which case, we can replace him with someone else in November.

dexterferry Guest

I don't think anyone here discussing the reasons they like Cockrel or the reasons they dislike Bing is a shill.

I do think the drive-by threads impugning a candidate's character based on an unsubstantiated act and then asking this community to "discuss" are the product of Cockrel shills and I think it's pretty lame. It started long ago with the posts from "brand new" forum members spreading rumors about Bing's association with some Kilpatrick lackey and it has continued with other "whisper campaign" attempts here.

I don't care who you support nor do I assume you should care about who it is I support. I do dislike threads like this one, started by an obvious shill.

I don't think anyone here discussing the reasons they like Cockrel or the reasons they dislike Bing is a shill.
    Thanks for the clarification. I would point out that daddeeo just asked a question, and didn't slam Bing. From my point of view, the question is valid.

Both candidates are doing a good enough job of lying to us. Let's not lie to each other. They both suck, all we can do now is vote for the one that we thinks will suck less and hope that a better option becomes available for the regular election.

Dexterferry obviously doesn't know what or who he is talking about. I am not a shill for anyone. I was just trying to start a thread. Obviously I fooled you.
    I don't care who wins the election because I don't think it matters one way or another.

I'm wondering: would a shill ever come out and say that he or she is a shill?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    I'm wondering: would a shill ever come out and say that he or she is a shill?
    I'm wondering: Would a shill register on Old-DY in September '08, make 600 posts over there, many unrelated to the mayoral race, and then reregister over here and make another 60 posts just so he could make one post about Bing not showing up to events? Not a very efficient shill, if that's really what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Dexterferry obviously doesn't know what or who he is talking about. I am not a shill for anyone. I was just trying to start a thread. Obviously I fooled you.
    I don't care who wins the election because I don't think it matters one way or another.

Dexterferry is probably referring moreso to a thread this morning that was titled "Who's the best candidate?' where the original poster was obviously nothing but a shill for Ken Cockrel. I don't think that thread is still up.

dexterferry Guest

I was commenting on a pattern, not just this specific thread [[but a pattern that this thread fit). and yes, it is possible to be a prolific member of this community and still be a shill.