Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Windsor - What a deal!

Canadians are dawning to a fact we all know, that Windsor is great place and, even better, a great bargain.
    bargains for sale in windsor
    Best 'value' in Canada

By Brian Cross, The Windsor Star September 24, 2010

Windsor has been proclaimed the cheapest place in the country to buy a middle-class home, which comes as no surprise to people who've already sold homes elsewhere for a bundle and paid substantially less for a better house here.

Full article Here.
    Some snips....
    "There's nothing I can complain about, about Windsor."

The report issued this week by realtor Coldwell Banker compared the average price of a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home. Compared to Vancouver [[$1.3 million), Oakville [[$741,638), Calgary [[$551,920), Saskatoon [[$484,000), Toronto [[$495,398), Winnipeg [[$343,160) and St. Catharines [[$265,450), Windsor's price is bargain basement cheap at $158,242.
    The report paints Windsor as a great place to move for out-of-towners who are retired or work from home.

The Windsor area "has got a lot of positive things going for it," said John Geha, president of Coldwell Banker Canada, citing the Detroit River and lakes, the county's fruit and wine attractions, cross-border attractions and the mild climate.
    For retirees from elsewhere in Canada who want a better climate but are leery to live in the southern U.S. because they want Canadian health care, Windsor is a great option, he said.
    People who've moved here also cite the convenience of having Detroit Metro airport so close for travelling, access to golf courses, Detroit pro sports teams, and cultural attractions like museums and the symphony.
    When you think about it no other city in Canada, other than Toronto, compares with Windsor for big city attractions. Now let's just get a European Unions style treaty, get rid of our stupid border and watch us all take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Now let's just get a European Unions style treaty, get rid of our stupid border and watch us all take off.
    I really hope this happens in the next few years. Not only would it make this city extremely marketable to seniors, it would open up so many things to the US and Canada as far as economy, culture, people, etc. I have several friends with dual citizenship and I have many friends in Michigan. We are so alike in Detroit and Windsor. Let's put all this War of 1812 stuff behind us

$484k in Saskatoon!?! I got my driver's liscence renewed yesterday with the WHTI endoresement. I am now able to do my part to help stich this region together. This border between Canada and US is hurting our regional economy.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    $484k in Saskatoon!?!
    They have a ton of natural resources that are being exploited.

Quote: "Now let's just get a European Unions style treaty, get rid of our stupid border and watch us all take off."

I don't know about that. It does make me feel a bit claustorphobic having to have a passport to go to the US but in terms of security [[not just against terrorists but drugs and criminals as well) I think it was probably time to have some control. Nothing personal folks - I like my neighbours but I don't want to move in with them even if they do have a pool. I just like to do my own thing.

With all the problems the US has I have been wondering how they would ever get them solved. Having such a huge population and so many states I think makes it more difficult. Maybe you should unite some states - maybe you should ditch Alaska since it is so far away. That way you could get rid of Sarah Pallin at the same time. ;-) that might help.

We trade with Canada more than any other Country ....... combined . And trade fairly which is more than we get from anyone , and its quality goods . Even with the auto industry taking a crap , the Detroit/Windsor border is the busiest in regards to goods going back and forth . We are alike in most ways , but in some ways we are not alike . Their culture and way of thinking is different , and they probably know more about the U.S. than we know about Canada . You'd have to spend some time in Canada and get to know people and you would see what I mean . And I say that in a good way . I think if you had a poll , most Canadians like things just the way they are and have no urge to combine Nations . I think if all the border States had enhanced driver's licenses , traveling back and forth would be easy again just like pre 9/11 .
    And now a famous Canadian [[ Colin Mockerie ) apology to America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cDRwhgi6Q

Wingnatic: Thanks for the youtube video. It sums up a few of the issues quite nicely. I am far more positive re Canada-US trade than I used to be. I used to try and shop Canadian as much as possible but now, since just about everything is made in China, I am overjoyed when I find something made on this continent. We really need to make more of the stuff we consume but the only way I see that happening is if oil prices go through the roof.

LB - Ottawa, Canada

When you think about it no other city in Canada, other than Toronto, compares with Windsor for big city attractions.
    [/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Vancouver and Montreal probably beg to differ...

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer76 View Post
    I don't know about that. It does make me feel a bit claustorphobic having to have a passport to go to the US but in terms of security [[not just against terrorists but drugs and criminals as well) I think it was probably time to have some control. Nothing personal folks - I like my neighbours but I don't want to move in with them even if they do have a pool. I just like to do my own thing.
    Haha... I must say that's a very American sentiment. In physical boundary terms, Europeans are much more close and comfortable with each other. And that can be true for the political boundaries. "Hey, I like ya and we can talk and hang, but I'm not about to open the border freely."

However I don't ascribe to such a position. The American-Canadian border needs to lax. The American-Mexican border is a different issue. The drug wars down there need to STOP, not even subside, just STOP before I begin to talk to have that border open down there.

If Germans and French, who murdered millions of each others citizens in the last century, can cross freely between their countries certainly we, allies in war past and present and at peace for nearly two centuries, can find a way to open our border. Our standard of living and currencies are at close parity and for most of the border there is no language barrier. France and Germany have lost none of the national identities or traditions and both are prospering, living well and living long.

An open border here in Detroit Windsor would put an immense boost into our economies while saving countless millions in delays, border policing and discouaged tourism. It's a huge bonanza just sitting there.

Personally I love visiting Canada somewhat regularly. Beyond the physical disruption of having to go through Security at the border, ponying up $8 for a round trip there adds up quickly.

If Germans and French, who murdered millions of each others citizens in the last century, can cross freely between their countries certainly we, allies in war past and present and at peace for nearly two centuries, can find a way to open our border. Our standard of living and currencies are at close parity and for most of the border there is no language barrier. France and Germany have lost none of the national identities or traditions and both are prospering, living well and living long.
    Unless we're still mad about the whole burned down White House from the War of 1812...

I don't mind my passport being looked at, but I do mind having to open my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Unless we're still mad about the whole burned down White House from the War of 1812...

I don't mind my passport being looked at, but I do mind having to open my wallet.
    Yeah, but it's as though Berlin's famous and notorious Checkpoint Charley closed up shop and moved to Detroit/Windsor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah, but it's as though Berlin's famous and notorious Checkpoint Charley closed up shop and moved to Detroit/Windsor!!
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Personally I love visiting Canada somewhat regularly. Beyond the physical disruption of having to go through Security at the border, ponying up $8 for a round trip there adds up quickly.
    I live in Ottawa and haven't crossed in years. Ogsdenberg NY is not very exciting. What's the $8 for. Who is charging it? Fine example of free trade that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer76 View Post
    I live in Ottawa and haven't crossed in years. Ogsdenberg NY is not very exciting. What's the $8 for. Who is charging it? Fine example of free trade that is!
    $4 or so each way. For the bridge it's Matty Moroun the owner, and for the tunnel it's the city of Windsor...??

"Vancouver and Montreal probably beg to differ..."

Great cities indeed and no disrespect meant. However when it comes to population size, quality and quantity of art institutions, cultural assets, major league sports teams, and other factors, they come in a distant second to Detroit and Toronto.

The presence of those assets in Detroit, and many in Windsor too, can make Windsor, only two miles or less from the cultural and entertainment heart of Detroit, very attractive to people with discerning tastes. An open border would make that appeal even greater.

An open border between Detroit and the burbs might be a good practice run. People with discerning tastes might take a shine to their own city...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    $4 or so each way. For the bridge it's Matty Moroun the owner, and for the tunnel it's the city of Windsor...??
    I'm really curious as to what other tolls are along the US/Canadian border are. What's the toll for places like Port Huron, Niagara Falls, and other border crossings? Is there a website for this sort of thing??

Tunnel
    Windsor to Detroit - $4.50 CDN - $4.00 U.S.
    Detroit to Windsor - $4.75 CDN - $4.00 U.S.
    Bridge
    $4.75 Cdn.
    $4.00 U.S.
    Port Huron
    CDN $2.75
    USA $ 2.50

Niagara Falls
    $3.25 CDN
    $3.25 U.S.
    Algonac/Walpole Island Indian Reservation
    $5.00
    CDN or U.S. or a combination of both , indians [[who run/own the car ferry's) don't do exchange rates

A lot of Windsorites and Southwestern Ontarioans are scared to death of Detroit. I'm thinking they'd have a problem opening up their border to a city which has 450 murders a year.

LodgeDodger Guest

Folks, repeat after me: Canada is a foreign country.

Perhaps if you folks say it enough, it'll finally sink in.

"Vancouver and Montreal probably beg to differ..."

Great cities indeed and no disrespect meant. However when it comes to population size, quality and quantity of art institutions, cultural assets, major league sports teams, and other factors, they come in a distant second to Detroit and Toronto.

The presence of those assets in Detroit, and many in Windsor too, can make Windsor, only two miles or less from the cultural and entertainment heart of Detroit, very attractive to people with discerning tastes. An open border would make that appeal even greater.
    The only thing that Detroit trumps Montreal or Vancouver on is population, and maybe major league sports [[assuming that Canadians are engrossed enough in American based sports leagues for it to matter). Otherwise, Detroit is a far cry from offering the global city lifestyle that can be gained from residing in Montreal or Vancouver. And that's a shame considering Detroit's history and unique geography.

Without starting a border war , I think we are talking about trade/commerce here . We've always had a unique cross border relationship , so much so that when Michigan has their annual meeting of mayors from around the State , Windsors mayor is always invited because we consider Windsor as part of us/the region , plus the many years we've had the International Freedom Festival enjoyed by Americans and Canadians alike . Any big city USA will have a crime rate , but when you figure in population , per capita some smaller cities have higher crime rates [[FBI stats not mine) Also figure in the USA has 10 times the population as Canada .
    Canada is a safe place , but I thought I'd better mention all the gang shootings and crime in Toronto , the terrorists [[suspected ) in Toronto and Ottawa , plus that pig farmer outside of Vancouver that had a penchant for prostitutes , except he killed them and buried them on his farm over time , so much so they had to bring in a forensic anthropoligist , last body count I heard [[few years ago) was in the high teens .

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Folks, repeat after me: Canada is a foreign country.

Perhaps if you folks say it enough, it'll finally sink in.
    We get it, but I think what some people here are saying is why do we need to treat them like the hostile beer swigging neighbor that plays their music too loud, is a bad influence on your kids, and throws dog poop over the fence? Is America that isolated, close minded and paranoid that we can't be close to a neighbor? I hope not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast