Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Outsourced

Default Outsourced

Did anyone else watch the first episode of "Outsourced" last night? I saw all but the first few minutes. It seems like a good start. I hope it will give Americans an idea about how we look to other parts of the world and how outsourcing affects the people of places like India. Of course, since it is a comedy, the outsourced business is a novelties outlet which provides its own readymade jokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e7DndFck-k

I've heard that it's pretty bad, full of stereotypes, cliches, and situations that are nothing like any call center whether it be in the States, India, or anywhere else. I have On Demand and might check it out just to see if it's as bad as everybody says. The only review I've seen worse for a fall show is for $h*! My Dad Says on CBS which there's no way I would even bother watching, it sounds so bad [[plus I can't stand William Shatner).

... not to mention to give American's an idea of where their jobs went to and why they've had their house foreclosed....

Maxx, I think that those strip clubs in Detroit that you so disdain... are more tasteful this tastelessly humorous look at why our recession continues unabated,...

I was just visiting friends and asked their son how his neighborhood pal was doing... his reply was that the father lost his job due to outsourcing, and that the son was so embarrassed that they were moving that the kid never told his neighborhood friends that they were being evicted and just disappeared.... Tragic things like this happen across America every day... it's nice that NBC [[who's parent GE has been outsourcing to India for almost 2 decades)... can make light of this when they've been doing this themselves.

I guess that in the name of comedy... we should just laugh along though... huh?

[[Sorry Maxx... you hit a raw nerve...)
    Last edited by Gistok; September-24-10 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Did anyone else watch the first episode of "Outsourced" last night? I saw all but the first few minutes. It seems like a good start. I hope it will give Americans an idea about how we look to other parts of the world and how outsourcing affects the people of places like India. Of course, since it is a comedy, the outsourced business is a novelties outlet which provides its own readymade jokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e7DndFck-k
    I watched it. I don't know if it will last, it was somewhat funny. It was infinitely better than that Parks & Rec show that I'm glad to see is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I watched it. I don't know if it will last, it was somewhat funny. It was infinitely better than that Parks & Rec show that I'm glad to see is gone.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Parks & Rec will be back mid-season. I think that show and Outsourced are supposed to go halfsies on that time slot.

I had to look it up in Wikipedia.

Wow. Talk about bad taste. Hey, I thought the clip was funny but couldn't they have put their effort into some subject less painful for their American audience? Did they really intend to smack their audience in the face or are they just that clueless? Maybe they're trying to fail for some reason like in The Producers.

I've never worked a call desk but I have worked with Indians that were exactly the opposite of these stereotypes. It makes me shudder.

Any thoughts on Shit My Dad Says? I love Shatner, and the real guy that is inspired by certainly says some funny shit, but they can't swear like he does on network TV, and the writing was lackluster.

Doesn't match up with this, anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I had to look it up in Wikipedia.

Wow. Talk about bad taste. Hey, I thought the clip was funny but couldn't they have put their effort into some subject less painful for their American audience? Did they really intend to smack their audience in the face or are they just that clueless? Maybe they're trying to fail for some reason like in The Producers.

I've never worked a call desk but I have worked with Indians that were exactly the opposite of these stereotypes. It makes me shudder.
    So should we assume any show about inner city violence, drugs, gangs, etc is a slap in the face of everyone dealing with that situation? I didn't watch the show but if we are going to get up in arms about how offensive it is to those whose jobs have been outsourced we should look at all entertainment in this light.

Should we be pissed that Detroit 1-8-7 will likely make money for the network [[and its parent company) becuase it is driving proft off of the numerous murders in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    So should we assume any show about inner city violence, drugs, gangs, etc is a slap in the face of everyone dealing with that situation? I didn't watch the show but if we are going to get up in arms about how offensive it is to those whose jobs have been outsourced we should look at all entertainment in this light.

Should we be pissed that Detroit 1-8-7 will likely make money for the network [[and its parent company) becuase it is driving proft off of the numerous murders in the city?
    Last time I checked none of those shows were commedy shows that make light of the situation to get some laughs! Does that answer your question?

That was a movie first, and the movie of the same name was far better, with same plot. But I'll watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Last time I checked none of those shows were commedy shows that make light of the situation to get some laughs! Does that answer your question?
    So it only applies to comedies? Do you get angered when you see Good Times. You know, those ghetto black folk just always having a good time. Sorry, but I'm not going to feel to bad that an unfortunate situation is used for comedy. It's a case of many people willing to laugh at others expense but if it hits close to home then we have to put up a stink. Sorry, not buying it.

I wonder if people that are upset about this show have written their senators about dealing with outsourcing, NAFTA, etc?

He also complains about the unfair stereotypes of the Inidan people in the show. Because we all know that TV, especially sitcoms NEVER unfairly stereotype anyone.

Fuck that show. I wouldn't waste a second on it just for the premise. Outsourcing isn't a joke and I could care fucking less about Indians or another culture in their IT jobs or call centers...not on the backs of N. Americans.

Now Shit My Dad Says? That was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Fuck that show. I wouldn't waste a second on it just for the premise. Outsourcing isn't a joke and I could care fucking less about Indians or another culture in their IT jobs or call centers...not on the backs of N. Americans.
    And that's just the attitude that I would hope would be diminished by "Outsourced."
    It's not the fault of the people of India that U.S. companies outsource there to maximize profits. The West has tended to look down on all the little brown people of the world who live on rice and beans and a quarter of the animal protein we expect to eat. Obesity won't be an issue here when more of us discover the value of rice and beans.