Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default New Republican Lies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-..._b_735962.html
    "...Media Matters already had compiled a catalog of the 60 Plus Association's advertising misrepresentations and falsehoods going back to the middle of the health care fight last year. Now the highly regarded and nonpartisan FactCheck.org has a new analysis showing that these ads are propaganda -smears based on lies and distortions. Americans United for Change summarized the many falsehoods in memos sent to reporters in these districts yesterday. MoveOn.org, HCAN and others are organizing grassroots pressure on the stations to take the ads down..."

I don't doubt that Republicans haven't had their facts straight or lied from time to time. To call Fact Check 'highly regarded and nonpartisan' however, is a bit of a stretch. It is controlled by the Foundation that hired Barry to be a 'community organizer'. Let's just say it leans a little bit to the left.

The author of the article also leans to the left a little bit.
    Prior to joining AFSCME in 1999, Rome was chief policy and political adviser to the speaker of the Connecticut House, co-directing the historic campaign to win and defend a new state income tax in 1991 and 1992. He was legislative and political Director of the Connecticut Citizen Action Group. He managed numerous legislative and statewide political campaigns, including the Connecticut House Democratic Caucus operation, which defeated more Republican incumbents over four election cycles than any Democratic state legislative caucus in the country during that time. -HCAN
    This doesn't mean that he too isn't 'highly regarded and nonpartisan' with respect to everything he wrote in this article. However, in light of cost overruns with such government programs as Medicare and President Obama's own spending habits, it seems incredulous to believe that Obamacare, or the Afffordable Health Care Act as it is endearingly called, will come in under budget.

• The ads say that the new law means "seniors could lose their doctors" or that it "threatens seniors' ability to keep their own doctor." Nothing in the Affordable Care Act restricts any Medicare enrollee's access to the doctor of their choice. -from the Huffington link

If additional doctors refuse to accept Medicare patients because Obamacare has reduced their payment, seniors are going to lose their doctors no matter what the law says. This law has not made health care more affordable. It has just redistributed who gets to pay for health care. Adding some of the extra benefits listed, such as keeping 26 year olds on their parents' policy, will require higher insurance payments by someone and provide US manufacturers to move more of their production offshore.

And to do nothing about healthcare would have just continued the increase in premiums and the number of people uninsured. Maybe the politicians should have waited until the number of uninsured were the majority. Then they wouldn't have had to be concerned about the people who still had insurance that they could afford. Of course, by then who knows how many hospitals would have gone out of business as they tried to treat the uninsured? As it is the Republicans are poised to undo the little reforms that were passed . There should be a way to guarantee nearly everyone some basic form of medical care. As it is now, we spend most of our healthcare dollars on the last months of a person's life while young families who are our future are uninsured. The Republicans' campaign about "pulling the plug on Grandma" was a blatant appeal to the clueless who refuse to deal with death and dying issues.

Who said anything about doing nothing about healthcare? I would start with the premise that the government should do no harm. Americans should be given the freedom to arrange new agreements and options with healthcare providers, more drugs should be available over the counter, foreign drugs should be allowed, the FDA should allow more flexibility with medicines that haven't been fully vetted, medical vacations to cheaper foreign venues should be encouraged, etc.. Freedom could make health care affordable to a much higher percentage of Americans, thereby reducing the number who would be dependent on state health care solutions. In my state, the [[D) Governor has even imposed hospital and nursing home taxes on patients.

My problem with Republicans on this issue is that they too are too much in the back pockets of the insurance companies and health care companies. Like Democrats, they side with the status quo in most situations and similarly have little concern for doing what it takes to make health care truly affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I don't doubt that Republicans haven't had their facts straight or lied from time to time. To call Fact Check 'highly regarded and nonpartisan' however, is a bit of a stretch. It is controlled by the Foundation that hired Barry to be a 'community organizer'. Let's just say it leans a little bit to the left.
    you are confusing factcheck.org with Soros' factcheck.com

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    you are confusing factcheck.org with Soros' factcheck.com
    I didn't know there were two but it is factbook.org which has ties to the Annenburg Foundation. http://www.factcheck.org/about/

What amazes me is the ever increasing deliberateness of the lying. It's as if someone [[Karl Rove?) determined that integrity is something Republicans no longer need. Where's the concern over their long-term reputation? AWOL.

It didn't used to be this way. The infamous Citizens United decision is only going to exacerbate the situation.

I think it's more challenging to find Republican truths....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I think it's more challenging to find Republican truths....
    While it may be challenging, it's impossible to find a Democrat speaking the truth, and even worse, they lie and believe it!

The thing with most Democrat supporters is that they believe everything that comes out of a Democrats mouth. Republicans may believe most things that come out of a Republicans mouth they don't believe all.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    The thing with most Democrat supporters is that they believe everything that comes out of a Democrats mouth. Republicans may believe most things that come out of a Republicans mouth they don't believe all.
    Based purely on non-partisan logic... what you just said was....

You can fool some of the people all of the time....
    AND
    You can fool all of the people some of the time....

Very profound!

That's another thing I've never been able to understand. Why do Republicans deliberately lie to their own at all? What's the benefit?

One of the conspicuous differences I've noticed is that Democrats are far too careful about covering their asses in case they're accused of lying while Republicans make a sport of bare-assed lying.

Everyone's witnessed it. They lie. You look them in the eye in that way that says they've been caught. Then they give you that same old smug grin as if to say they know they've lied, they know you know they've lied, but they don't care because in the end it won't matter. Then when they lose an election because it did very much matter, they throw some childish tantrum as if they were the ones wronged.

I'll say it again but it never sinks in. If you want to be taken seriously, don't be The Boy Who Cried Wolf.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-24-10 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I didn't know there were two but it is factbook.org which has ties to the Annenburg Foundation. http://www.factcheck.org/about/
    Ah, the conservative-leaning Annenburg Foundation. You'd never know their partisanship if it were up to the media sound bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's another thing I've never been able to understand. Why do Republicans deliberately lie to their own at all? What's the benefit?

One of the conspicuous differences I've noticed is that Democrats are far too careful about covering their asses in case they're accused of lying while Republicans make a sport of bare-assed lying.
    Like Sara Palin saying Obama had secret death panels in the health care bill? How about Sara and every other radical rightty calling into question the president's citizenship, religion, etc?

And who could forget how the Bush administration made it SOP to constantly lie to Americans.

So who wants to privatize Soc. Sec.? To hear the Republicans, it's a dead issue.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081400858.html
    "...he issue of Social Security is already playing out in races across the country. In Nevada, U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle [[R) has a new television ad in which she pledges to "save" the program and accuses her opponent, Majority Leader Harry M. Reid [[D), of "raiding" the retirement trust fund.
    Angle's ad comes after weeks of taking on water over the issue as Reid has repeatedly slammed her for past comments on Social Security. One Reid ad featured Angle saying, "We need to phase Medicare and Social Security out."...

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/sharron-angle-wants-privatize-social"'I've since been studying, and Chile has done this...' During the time of Reagan, Chile's Social Security system was considered to be the wingnut Holy Grail. I guess Sharon didn't get too far in her "studying" and whatnot, or she'd know why the saner people just don't talk about Chile in much detail [[of course, there's always the optimists at the Cato Institute): .."

And there are other "stealth" candidates who would like to steal Soc. Sec. from citizens and privatize it.
    http://michiganmessenger.com/41102/w...ocial-security

In fact a lot are flip-flopping like mad to get themselves elected.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42510.html

"...In South Dakota, state lawmaker Kristi Noem came under fire in May for expressing mild support for Ryan’s road map, which she called the 'right direction for our country to go' in a live chat organized by the Rapid City Journal.
    Last month, she backpedaled, signing a pledge that she will oppose the privatization of Social Security, which is featured at the top of the issues page on her website, above 'taxes and spending' and 'health care.'
    In Florida — a state whose residents are probably more attuned to Social Security politics than those in any other — Republican Dan Webster found himself in trouble when he suggested reducing cost-of-living increases for entitlements..

In Ohio, former Republican Rep. Steve Chabot got creative in describing his stance on the program. He rejected the word “privatization” but said he supports a reform plan that includes private accounts. Chabot has a good shot at unseating freshman Democratic Rep. Steve Driehaus..."

Last edited by maxx; September-26-10 at 03:08 PM.

gdogslim Guest

"Media Matters is a criminal enterprise front group for democrats run by the conservative-turned-leftist journalist David Brock." according to some conservatives.
    If there was ever a lawsuit against this group, and there was full discovery of emails, phone logs, and testimony under oath or in depositions, the whole game would be up and they'd be completely exposed for what they are. Which is: a criminal enterprise, in the sense that they are, in my view... violating the tax code...501[[c)[[3) and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates...
    MoveOn is another left wing propaganda group funded by george soros et al.
    The only time they will criticize a democrat is when they don't go far left.

More Republican lies from the tea-bagger poster girl:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...ZHNjaG9vbHN1Zw--

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    More Republican lies from the tea-bagger poster girl:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...ZHNjaG9vbHN1Zw--
    That's a very liberal thing you did there, calling an opponent a name. Very childish.

gdogslim: The only time they will criticize a democrat is when they don't go far left.

Ever hear of the 11th Commandment?

That's a very liberal thing you did there, calling an opponent a name. Very childish.
    Yes, let's not discuss the substance of the article. I know it's too painful for you true Republican believers.

Stosh Guest

Ok then. How about Republican liar? Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Ok then. How about Republican liar? Works for me.
    At least its not name calling. The scary thing about the Democrats is that when they talk and spew their garbage, is that they believe it. If the Republicans were doing the same exact thing that the Democrats are doing right now the Liberals in this country would be in an uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Yes, let's not discuss the substance of the article. I know it's too painful for you true Republican believers.
    I'm not a true Republican believer thank you. I'm an Independent who does sway to the Republican side and I have voted for Democrats. I vote for the candidates beliefs, not his/her party. I thought this country wasn't doing much right when Bush was in office, and now that Obama is in things REALLY are in the shitter. I'm just tired of Obama and Pelosi with their constant blame Bush attitude. If they were all that smart they would be able to pass bill and law that can help this country. They have the majority so that shouldn't be a problem.

Come on November!

If the Republicans were doing the same exact thing that the Democrats are doing right now the Liberals in this country would be in an uproar.
    What are you referring to? If Democrats were threatening to shut down the government and generally doing as little as possible in Congress for the people who elected them to do something,
    Dems would get upset. Why aren't most Republicans upset with this behavior of their elected reps? Most red states are also the poorest states in the nation so that means they are less educated, less informed. Poor people are also more likely to belong to fundie religions that are authoritarian so those people are used to following orders about how to think.

jerrytimes: They have the majority so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Ever hear of the filibuster?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast