Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Blockbuster Files For Bankruptcy

If all the stores are liquidated [[very plausible) then it would mark the end of an era as the last national retailer for movie rentals shuts its doors. While I think Netflix, bootlegging and the internet did add insult to injury, the economy of course was probably the final in the coffin [[I.E. Hollywood Video).

It's funny to think Blockbuster went from the largest entertainment retailer in the world to nearing extinction. Their original business concept debuted in the era when purchasing personal home VHS cassettes [[copies) of your favorite movies was quite expensive [[mid 1980s) and the cheaper alternative was just to rent a copy temporarily. Of course since then not only is the VHS practically extinct and the DVD discs have become so affordable that now you can purchase your own copy for the price of renting it, but thanks to the internet it's just as easy now to download your movies for damn near free in seconds.

So far they're going to keep all of their stores open and operating as usual, though at least 1,000 will likely close by the end of their case.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/b...or-chapter-11/

Blockbuster is too expensive. $5.00 to rent a movie when you can buy it for $9.95-$12.95?
    That's why I stopped going - You may as well buy the movie or just watch one on Comcast On Demand without ever leaving the house.

Gotta agree. For the $5 rental fee, I usually just stop at the used movie table and pick out a few. If I like it I'll keep it in the movie library and if not toss it in the garbage.
    But what incentive is there to rent them? At least I never have to make a trip out to return them to the store.

Between Netflix, on-demand, cable and satellite options, low discount retail DVD prices and all the bootleg online view option of films it no wonder video stores are bust. You really don't have to go out to rent movies at the high rates along with car gas etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Blockbuster is too expensive. $5.00 to rent a movie when you can buy it for $9.95-$12.95?
    That's why I stopped going - You may as well buy the movie or just watch one on Comcast On Demand without ever leaving the house.

The internet is changing the entire media - movies, music, books, media, television and radio. I think it's an exciting time and it will open up a whole world of possibilities for exposure for people who otherwise would never get a second look. Unfortunately, we have to wade through a lot of schlock to find the flowers in a giant pot of dirt...but at least we will have a choice and not have it made for us like we have had in the past.

The internet is changing the entire media -
    Before that can happen, people have to have access to broadband internet. That's still a long ways off for much of the country.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/dsl.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_penetration

It looks to me like it's increasing at an alarming rate... Also, the United States isn't the only country that appreciates/consumes media...

83,968,547 in the United States
    30,631,900 in Japan
    17,661,100 in the U.K.
    9,533,500 in Canada
    and not to mention a total of 349,980,000 worldwide... Thats nothing to shake a stick at...or a netflix download, or a song on iTunes...or a show on hulu...

littlebuddy Guest

Working at the Post Office over the years, I have seen Netflex grow and grow as far as sending them back through the mail, and Blockbuster become less and less. This does not surprize me.

Part of the problem Blockbuster ran into was that it isn't the only game in town when it comes to renting videos. Out here, most every major supermarket has a video rental counter, and those that don't have a Red Box. The problems in the retail video industry already took out Hollywood/Movie Gallery.

Thee's a chain called Hastings that appears to have the right idea. They've taken 3 concepts that have had problems, book stores, music [[CD/record) stores, and video rental and sales, and combined them into 1 business. That seems to work for them.

Yeah Blockbuster got on the mail DVD thing too, too late in the game. Netflix was already branded in most peoples minds for that... I have a Netflix account which I now have turned off for financial reasons but when I used it the service it is great in tandem with On Demand and DVD I add to my collection from outlets and eBay well I need not go to any video store. I do use a libraries DVD section for another option once in a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    Working at the Post Office over the years, I have seen Netflex grow and grow as far as sending them back through the mail, and Blockbuster become less and less. This does not surprize me.

In the early 1980s when VCR's were selling, video rental stores were popping up all over the neighborhood and ghettos in every major U.S. city. They were mom and pop owned. You can go into the video rental, apply for a membership, rent a movie and take it home to watch. However there are fees if you "Don't be kind and rewind the tape. "or "Not returning the tape." Than along come BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO opened in 1985 It was considered to the first corporate video rental and its was the biggest. With BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO on top, it put a lot of independent mom and pop video rental stores out of business. Later in the 1990s more corporate video store opened like HOLLYWOOD VIDEO AND FAMILY VIDEO and its lasted well into the new millenium. By the 2000s The introduction of DVD's DVD recorders and DVR's changed the way we see home movies.In the mid 2000s COMCAST, AT&T U-VERSE, WOW cable DIRECT TV AND DISH NETWORK introduce these DVR's into their digital cable converters along with their DVRs. Also the introduction of ON-DEMAND home libraries surprised consumers. Now they can rent, record their favorite home movies in their new flat screen/L.E.D. TVs. Also add in the internet filesharing piracies from NAPSTER to NETFLIX. RED BOX video rental vending machines and consumers are being lured away from corporate video rental stores. BLOCKBUSTER, HOLLYWOOD VIDEO tried to compete, but ended up losing fast.By the late 2000s FAMILY VIDEO staying in its local sector to grab loyal customers and ts did. HOLLYWOOD VIDEO went out of business and later BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO is going bankrupt! So what's next for the home movie industry? Maybe some holocube digital video projector screen so we can see holographic movie characters. Or being yourself inside the movies.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

DVD killed the VCR star!

Neda, I miss you so.

Blarf Guest

I have a Netflix, but I'm starting to get pissed. I got it with the idea where I thought I could stream and watch movies online, as they advertise. Now I'm finding that I have to "order" most of the movies I want to watch, and wait a couple days. Screw that.

When is Radioshack going to go down???

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    When is Radioshack going to go down???
    In the short term they're not doing too bad. They sitll have a good few years ahead of them.

http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcd...ezd=1Y&index=5

Though I suspect if they don't start making some changes Best Buy & Target will leave them in the dust.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Regular Blockbuster Customer

We rented some games for our Wii at Blockbuster once, it was way to expensive to ever justify doing again.

That was the last time I ever went to Blockbuster, about two or three years ago. Significant, since I was one of their regulars [[a few times a month) about seven to ten years before.

I have to give RadioShack their props for holding forth in some rough areas [[like the one on Woodward in Highland Park) and they have a couple of stores in Detroit too... I buy from them once in a while though I use eBay for nearly all of my phone and electrical stuff, batteries, cords etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In the short term they're not doing too bad. They sitll have a good few years ahead of them.

Though I suspect if they don't start making some changes Best Buy & Target will leave them in the dust.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-29-10 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

I love Radio Shack simply because they are a smaller store. Sometimes I don't want to wade through the sea of parking lots, navigate through a humongous store, and stand in line 30 minutes to buy a small item. With Radio Shack I can run in and run out real quick. I hope Radio Shack is around for a long long time!

...Anybody have a list of blockbuster stores closing in the Detroit area? I know the one on Warren/Lodge Fwy. near Wayne State is closing by this Sunday, 10/17.. I want to be able to find some good deals before these places close for good..

Radioshack is pretty convenient since they tend to operate in many urban areas, although when Best Buy opened a location near me downtown, it was even more convenient with more stuff.